windows 8 boot to the desktop??

That article is just showing what should have been an option, but it's not.
If you want to boot straight to desktop then you need to use a 3rd part program like startisback, classic shell or one of the many others out now.

Here's a tip that doesn't avoid the Start Screen at boot, but gets you out of it quickly once you boot up.

In Windows 7 you could pin programs to the task bar. For the first ten programs pinned to your task bar you could start them by holding down the Windows key and simultaneously typing the number corresponding to the program you wanted to start. All you had to do was put your favorite programs in the first four or five positions on the task bar and you could fire them up with one hand.

Windows 8 lets you do the same thing, and that functionality is available from within the Start Screen. So long as you arrange your task bar appropriately, at first boot you can simply use the Windows key + whatever number key(s) to start up your desktop programs exactly as if you were already at the desktop.

What I don't understand about these 'hacks' is why the go through all of the bother of making a scheduled task for this purpose, when they could just put the shortcut in the Startup folder and accomplish the same thing in a much nicer way.

That walkthrough with the task scheduling is garbage. There's a regtweak to boot to desktop (without the use of a third party shell emulator like Start8, etc) which has been working flawlessly for me for a couple months now, I'll see if I can dig up the walkthrough - it was on XDA developers if I recall.

+1 for Regtweak, the best way and anyone on [H] should be able to do a simple regtweak or you've found the wrong forum ^_~

Change the string value using regedit for "Shell" located in

"\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"

from "explorer.exe" to "explorer.exe /select,explorer.exe"

You can also make "Desktop" the first shortcut on your start screen so that hitting enter once you log in brings you to the desktop. I've done this for my dad because he sometimes uses the start screen.

Last edited:
Back