Windows 8 black screen on sleep resume.

wasteomind

Gawd
I've been reading around this seem to be a fairly common issue. I've got an older pc with a Core 2 duo e6600 on an nforce 2 680i SLI board. That system was running Vista for years without any issues other than Vista is bloatware. I decided to upgrade that system to Windows 8 and now I'm experiencing issues with sleep and hibernate.

Basically I get one of the following situations:

Fast start up enabled results in the PC shutting of the monitor/display when attempting to shutdown, but never actually powering down. The system remains running and moving the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard turns the display back on. Also sleep and hibernate exhibits the same behavior.

Fast start up disabled results in the PC shutting down correctly, but obviously can't use the benefits of it. Sleep and hibernate however now properly send the pc into low power/standby mode, BUT when attempting to resume from this state, its results in a black screen while the pc is powered up. I have to hard reset to get display functional again.

With Fast Startup and Hybrid power mode disabled in the power options shutdown works normally, the pc goes into powered down sleep mode, but when attempting to resume, it powers up for about 2 seconds then shuts down completely, requiring a full power up.

Anyone have a clue how to fix this?

powercfg energy isn't coming back with any requests that are interfering with sleep and it worked perfectly fine on Vista before. What gives?

okay i figure this system isnt the one in your sig. Double check your ram voltages and speeds are correct for your ram, lots of weird behavoir can be caused by that. Also give us a the full specs of your computer so we can help a little more.

Mine Windows 8 doesn't wake up from sleep. Computer seems to be running but monitor never wakes up. And I have i5 2500k with some modern Asus MB.

This has been an ongoing bug since Vista. Even though it kills my gaming laptops battery I've always turned it off because of its inconsistencies. Had it both on Vista/Win 7. Some solutions work for some people but none of them ever did for me.

Windows is finally catching up to Linux. ;)

A buggy BIOS or some bad driver is probably the problem. It could also be a problem restoring overclocking settings if those are lost (voltage bump not restored, for example). Try running stock if you're overclocking.

Also, I haven't had problems with Windows sleeping/resuming all the way back to Win95. Never heard it was a common problem, but some may have the possible problems I mentioned above.

Full system:
2x (sli) EVGA GTX280 FTW edition (Tried most recent beta and WHQL drivers)
2x (raid 0) WD Raptor 150gb
4gb Coursair DDR2 800 ram
EVGA 680i SLI nforce 2 motherboard
Intel e6600 Core 2 duo
Thermaltake 850watt PSU (brand new just replaced)

Have tried it both stock, and overclocked settings. Same issue either way.

i've had similar problems with my sig rig (1100 @ 4.1, win7x64).

this issue of not properly 'sleeping' (black screen, system still running) or waking from 'sleep' (hitting KB/mouse fails to wake machine) seems to stem from failed settings in relation to the IMC, at least on my PC. the only way to get machine backup is by hitting reset or power off than on. in most cases windows will resume back to previous desktop.

my RAM isn't overclocked tho the integrated memory controller is (running between 1600 & 1866).
tho your old C2D doesn't have an IMC, perhaps increase voltage to the memory controller on motherboard (northbridge voltage). this may or may not resolve your issue tho it doesn't hurt to try bumping your NB voltage.

have u tried power cycling your monitor when you wake from sleep and the monitor is still dark ? (not really a fix but when it happens after wake tends to work for me )

Back