Windows 8.1 with the Windows 7 look (2560x1600 image)

JayteeBates

[H]ard|Poof
It cost a couple bucks but was totally worth it. Windows Blinds for Windows 8.1:
desktop.jpg

It looks a fuckton better than metro. Metro is Windows 7 wiping it's UI in Windows 3.11's ass crack and finishing off with a spritz of AOL.

Sad that you have to use a 3rd party program to stay away from Metro and customize it like you want.

Looks like a cross between Windows Vista Home Basic (no Aero Glass) and Windows 7. lol

I dub it Windows 7 Fail Edition.

I think it is as good as it is going to get for Win8. It's not totally square and doesn't make my eyes bleed from the colors used. If you guys have something better drop some links.

I think it is as good as it is going to get for Win8. It's not totally square and doesn't make my eyes bleed from the colors used. If you guys have something better drop some links.

It does look good. The Start Menu "just works" - something Microsoft has forgotten. Never apologize for the way you choose to customize Windows, its one of the things that used to be great about it. Yes it's sad that third party hacks are now required to accomplish the restoration of classic UI elements - something Windows allowed out-of-box up to Windows 7, but I guess we should be grateful that third party remains an option at all, before everything is completely locked down and "managed for us" by Windows 9 or 10.

First thing I noticed was the Enterprise wallpaper. Did you model that yourself?

Start8 is pretty much the only way I can use Windows 8 (and I still don't use it).

First thing I noticed was the Enterprise wallpaper. Did you model that yourself?

No I actually found that online - its actually hard to find wallpaper for 2560x1600. I just did a google image search for enterprise 1701-d. I think I found it on deviant art.

If you google "windows 8 start button" there are apps to do it for you. Unless you just want to update to 8.1

This is my Win7 Ultimate x64 btw...

Bliss.png

^ damn wish I could still run gadgets like that CPU Meter on Windows 8.0. I'm sure there's probably a Stardock hack to do it but not going to spend money to make Windows work like its supposed to.

^ damn wish I could still run gadgets like that CPU Meter on Windows 8.0. I'm sure there's probably a Stardock hack to do it but not going to spend money to make Windows work like its supposed to.

8gadgetpack. Complete freeware, I'm using it myself. Initially it had some problems where it failed to start, but that happens a lot less often now. And when it does, just right click on the desktop, and hit gadgets, and it'll start right up.

Edit: This is my Windows 8 with gadgets:

vtfz.jpg

Last edited:
Without that blur it doesn't really feel like Windows 7 but I appreciate Stardock's efforts bringing back Aero to Windows 8.

I haven't gone to Win 8 due to the lack of aeroglass but it seems like there are workable options for that now. So will reconsider moving to it now.

Look into Rainmeter, even if you are using Win 7.

OP, thank you for the desktop background idea. I now have it and am enjoying it. :D

What did you guys expect from a touchscreen/tablet OS? Seriously? A start button that takes you back to METRO? Is this a fuking joke? You can now resize and recolor the tiles, whoopedy fuking do! Mind blown......

8gadgetpack. Complete freeware, I'm using it myself. Initially it had some problems where it failed to start, but that happens a lot less often now. And when it does, just right click on the desktop, and hit gadgets, and it'll start right up.

Thank you Tsumi! This is exactly what I needed. It was under my nose this whole time. All the gadgets at http://addgadgets.com/ are awesome as well. I've now loaded:

HUD Time
CPU Usage
GPU Meter (this already helped me figure out a webpage I used to keep open all the time had a hidden flash component that was causing a constant 30% load on the GPU, ugh)
Network Meter
Drive Meter
Top 5
Weather (the default one that comes with 8Gadget)

Last edited:
Back