Windows 8.1 - Why does my Windows Update keep acitng up?

loafer87gt

Limp Gawd
For some reason, my Windows Update feature of 8.1 is no longer functioning. It was acting up prior to the Spring Update, but after manually installing I was finally able to connect to Microsoft servers and download several needed updates. This morning I went to check to see if there were any new updates, and lo and behold - I am getting the same error and the Update Feature is no longer working again. I get a "WindowsUpdate 80240442" error code. I have scoured the web for fixes, but it looks like the only solution Microsoft is offering up is to do a refresh of your PC to fix the problem. This just doesn't seem like a fix to me. Does anyone know why this is happening to me? I have turned off all the Windows Firewalls, connected my PC directly to my cable modem, all with no luck. Am I going to be forced to do a full wipe and have to reinstall all my applications?

So are you getting the error when you check for the new updates or when you actually try to install an update?

Hi Heatless,

It gives me the error when I go to check. I searches for updates for several minutes, than gives me the 80240442 error.

OK, this is too bizarre. For some reason, Windows update only works when I have my external hard drive connected. With my Seagate drive connected, I can access Windows Update. If I disconnect, I get the above error. What the deuce?

At least I have found a fix, as strange as it is.

Some of the answers I found at MSC said that people had external or secondary drives that caused the problem... weird.

Hopefully MS fixes whatever is causing the issue.

The user account that runs the Windows Update service probably doesn't have permission to write to the OS drive. Whenever a secondary drive is plugged in, temporary files/updates are written to the root of the secondary drive. If it's not present, the OS drive is used.

Or.. as asked, you could post your WindowsUpdate.log file.

Back