Windows 8.1 Update Deadline Pushed Back

HardOCP News

[H] News
Good news for those of you that still haven't installed the Windows 8.1 update, you have another month to procrastinate.

Instead of requiring Windows 8.1 users to install the update by May 13, which is this month's Patch Tuesday, Microsoft is now allowing them a longer grace period -- until June 10 -- to move to the Update in order to continue to receive patches and fixes from the company. Microsoft announced the Windows 8.1 Update deadline extension on May 12.

Mandatory updates I imagine will become mainstream eventually. Problem is 8.1 installer is so buggy. Glad I got it installed, but took me weeks to figure it out.

The 8.1 update gave me nothing but errors and refuses to install on my main machine, my laptop, and my surface pro. I still couldn't figure out why it's not installing. Same error message on all machines. So I ended up reformatting and start from scratch all over again. Which only took me 3 days to do. Thanks Microsoft.

The 8.1 update is basically a brick manufacturing machine. I don't ever wanna have to do an in-place upgrade of Windows 8 by downloading 8.1 from the Store evar again. OMG what a mess. :(

And seriously, WTF is wrong with Microsoft and their aversion to use the good old Service Pack system?

Worked fine for me. I had 8.0 installed for a week which was kind of awkward, but 8.1 address all my complaints. Having used Windows 8 for about a month now I have to say it is pretty fantastic. If they get windowed metro apps I think it'll be perfect.

I have a copy of 8.0 but have never installed it yet. Will I be able to still get all the updates when I do install it or am I screwed & waited too long to install?

Didn't run into any issues updating to 8.1 update 1 on my work laptop, office desktop, kids desktop, wife's laptop, or my personal laptop.

Of course I realize my numbers are insubstantial to the greater number of systems out there... just as the "couldn't upgrade any of my systems" anecdotes ;)

My update went in eventually, but felt like I did it 2 or 3 times with a mix of patches and store downloads.

Win8.1 Update 1 worked perfectly for me. Server 2012 R2's Update 1 BSODs my server every damn time. Does anyone know if a revised version is in the works at all?

Installed Win 8.1 update 1 just fine on 6 out of 7 machines. I have a Dell XPS 12 that would not successfully install update 1 no matter what fixes I attempted to try. Eventually reinstalled Windows 8 and went through the processes of upgrading to 8.1 and then installing update 1 and it installed okay. Of course I had to reinstall all programs and settings from scratch.

It looks to me like update 1 installation works okay most of the time, but when it doesn't, it can be a pretty bad experience.

I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to easy and error free 8.0 to 8.1 updates?

No, you are in the majority. Usually, it is the minority who come on a complain the loudest. (Noticed I did say complain and blame, not voice concern of a legitimate gripe.) The only 2 times I have had issues where both on HP OEM computers. One, I had to remove the wireless card and the other, I had to RMA the machine back to HP.

Back