Windows 8.1 UEFI Install...

Syphon Filter

2[H]4U
Hi Chaps,

I need a bit of help with the "correct" way to do an install of Windows 8.1 on a UEFI based system.

Over the weekend I followed the instructions HERE and I thought it all went rather well.

I just used the tool in the about.com link, created a bootable USB and it all seemed to work fine. The machine booted straight from the USB and I was able to install the OS without hitch.

However, I have experienced one problem (BSODs when enabling SLI) and someone has suggested that perhaps I didn't do the UEFI install correctly so now there is an element of doubt creeping in despite the machine running seemingly fine (above BSOD excepted).

Could anyone let me know if what I did was correct or not? Do I need to re-install my OS etc.?

Also, when installing drivers etc. should I be disabling Windows Defender?

I would really appreciate any help, this is my first build in a long time so while I know (generally speaking) what I am doing some of my knowledge may be out-dated.

TIA

sf.

UEFI is awesome when I installed it I just disconnected all but one dive. (very important)
the drive you need to the OS on. Then clicked on the disk drive icon to install for the disk.

I don't have SLI but people have problems with SLI all the time =)

So...

How did you do it? What is the process for an UEFI install? I take the install process I followed (in the about.com link) does NOT do an UEFI install?

Is there really a need to install windows differently just because the motherboard has uefi bios versus the older type mine has.....I never knew it would be any different...just install the iso on a usb flash drive and boot of it right? what could go wrong? its not entirely a bad thing to disconnect storage drives if it could cause confusion...

I'm curious to hear what the big deal is

On the systems I've done it on, boot devices were listed twice at the selection. One will usually have a UEFI label or something, and the other Legacy -- select the obvious.

When you set up the disk, an extra 100mb EFI partition is automatically created... and nothing really exciting or special happens besides that.

There are several advantages to UEFI installs that I know of. In win8+ you can use Secure Boot which is essentially a hardware safeguard against BIOS corrupting viruses. At the same time, with full Secure Boot you will experience rapid startup and shutdown times. The requirement is that your core hardware components all are UEFI compatible.

The USB drive may need to be plugged into a USB2.0 port possibly.
For GPT the USB drive should formated FAT32
Then:
0e711ed2-954c-4492-b4e2-4f579110a881_zps0f319766.png~original

150a9209-9228-484c-b302-0a3041cd3d47_zpsbb35483d.png~original

Last edited:
The reason I posted the thread was because I was having some problems with SLI and someone suggested that perhaps my install was FUBAR.

See HERE and HERE.

In the first link the chap who posted asked if I did an UEFI install. Until I read that I was totally ignorant to there being a difference between UEFI and BIOS installs...:confused:

Anyway, it transpires that my original install was in "Legacy BIOS" mode after checking using System Information. My system was showing "Legacy BIOS" IIRC.

So after some digging I figured out how to do an UEFI install. I think this just means the USB stick has to be formatted in a particular manner because originally I definitely was NOT getting the "UEFI:" prefix on my bootable USB stick.

Once I'd done that I had the UEFI option and installed as such. I have no idea what is different about it but it has seemingly cured my SLI issues (both in COD and the BSOD).

Also the boot screen is different, instead of the Windows logo I now get a ROG logo (obviously linked to my mobo). Before, in Legacy BIOS, I would always get the Windows logo.

TLDR; no fucking idea what the difference is but it fixed my SLI BSOD and COD flickering.

Back