Windows 8.1 To Have A Boot To Desktop Option?

i built a computer for a friend a couple months back running Windows 8. I liked it, i thought it was quick in comparison to Windows 7 loading. The new look works great on the big screen... Although i did not get to spend the time i wanted to with the operating system it seemed good to see something new.

Win 8 should have had an option from day 1 to either use Metro or classic Star Menu. Problem solved for those with a touch screen & those without.

Anyone seen Idiocracy? There is a portion of the movie where the main character goes to the Hospital & the front desk lady has a bunch of buttons with pictures on them (38 seconds into the linked trailer) because reading & thinking has been breed out.

This is Windows 8 "Metro" imo. If someone would be so kind as to nicely put windows 8 metro on the picture, it may go viral.

At first, prior to installing Win8Pro, I didn't think it would make much difference at all--it'd just be a start page instead of a start menu. Was I ever wrong about that...;) Not having a start menu has made me value and appreciate the start menu like I have never done before! Frankly, the "start page" sucks--the menu is far more powerful and useful--not to mention incredibly better looking (I think the RT UI is just plain oooo-o-o-o-ogly.)

Out of curiosity, what were/are you using the start menu for that you're unable to accomplish now?

I actually like windows 8 on my net book BUT without the metro UI (it can't even use it most of the time because the resolution is too low)

It is very quick, quickest OS this netbook as ever need and its a 1.6ghz single core atom with 2gb of ram. It is amazing how well it work.

MS needed this from the get go though, 1 version fo touch screens and 1 for no touch screen.

Out of curiosity, what were/are you using the start menu for that you're unable to accomplish now?

Can't speak for this guy but if it weren't for heatlesssun - who provided me with a cute little VB script - I'd still be stuck with impractical and unnecessarily complicated ways to access a few windows/settings that I use daily.

Thanks to him, I have the ability to pin them at the start screen or the taskbar. Cheers dude :)

Back