Windows 8.1 Supported Sound Cards

mi7chy

2[H]4U
Really? Only one currently on the market?

Creative Labs Audigy Fx PCI-e

Specs
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=120331

Windows 8.1 driver
http://support.creative.com/Product...T=prodfaq:PRODFAQ_21690,VARSET=CategoryID:207

Kicking myself for paying $40+ and using up the last PCI-e slot for a Realtek ALC898 based Audigy Fx that's usually a freebie on motherboards but didn't want to risk destabilizing/BSoD'ing my audio-less Supermicro workstation.

The other alternative is to retire the speakers, use AMD GPU HD audio (if that's how I think it works) and possibly bluetooth MIC/headset for audio input. Anyone have good experience/recommendations for Plantronics type over the ear bluetooth headset MIC but silencing onboard speaker and redirecting out to HDMI? Universal compatibility would be nice to use with Android phone.

Last edited:
Creative did a Realtek-based card? Ouch. :(

That said: for better or worse W8.1's still fairly new, so on one level I'm not that surprised Creative hasn't gotten official drivers out for it for various cards yet (which probably begs the question: how well will/would the existing W8 drivers work under 8.1?). Depending on what kind of speakers you have, and how picky you or your ears are, you may want to hang on a little longer to see when/if they catch up. Bluetooth is a separate entity in this instance.

From reading up on the subject using Windows 8 driver on 8.1 can in best case just result in broken functionalities, like the Xonar series, to worse case instability. TTUTT I'd rather go audio-less than deal with instability.

That table is outdated because Windows 8.1 driver has been out since 12/20/2013 for Audigy Fx and what I'm using right now. Check out the 2nd link in the OP.

Last edited:
That link's borked for me, but I found it going the long way around. So the relevant question, for clarity: is the card just not working with that driverset, or doing something it shouldn't be doing?

That table is outdated because Windows 8.1 driver has been out since 12/13 and I'm using right now. Check out the 2nd link in the OP.

Nope, stills says july is the latest driver. Post a direct link, until then you are smoking crack.

The point of the thread is to discuss Windows 8.1 supported sound card and why there is only one currently on the market. It's not to help navigate a web site to find 8.1 drivers for the Audigy Fx.

The point of the thread is to discuss Windows 8.1 supported sound card and why there is only one currently on the market. It's not to help navigate a web site to find 8.1 drivers for the Audigy Fx.

And a completely pointless one considering creative has published timeframes for supporting 8.1.

Looking at Creative's driver availability chart I'm surprised that their flagship line, the Z series, is apparently going to be the last in their current product run to get official W8.1 drivers. Would've guessed those would have been the first to get some.

Flip side, just to be fair, Asus apparently got it together enough to get out some W8.1 drivers for the Xonar Phoebus...and, AFAIK, that's it at the moment for them (the "unified" drivers for their other cards are unofficial and don't count). And Realtek has theirs, for what it's worth. It's not a complete desert two months in, basically, if still slim pickings depending on what you're looking for...

I am using Titanium HD just fine with Win8 drivers.

its just that you have to install the driver twice for it to fully work, if the 1st install doesn't open the control panel and get the message that
hardware not detected or supported" just re-install the driver again, it worked for me.

Back