Windows 8.1 Starts At $120

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that aren't running Windows 8 (and you want to upgrade), Windows 8.1 will set you back $119.99 and Windows 8.1 Pro will be $199.99. Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade for current Windows 8 owners.

Consumers who are not using a Windows 8 device will be able to buy Windows 8.1, either as a download from Windows.com or at your local store as a retail packaged DVD product. While pricing varies by market, in the U.S., Windows 8.1 will be available for $119.99 ERP (U.S.) and Windows 8.1 Pro will be available for $199.99 ERP (U.S.). The pricing and editions for Windows 8.1 are similar to what we have today for Windows 8.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

More expensive then you can buy 7 for. Those who got it for $15, sure I get it. However anyone who pays More for that is a fool. I have come to the conclusion that this year has been a long bad acid flashback for most of redmond. If you don't understand what I am talking about, just drive by that Campus one day. The VW Van ratio is Pretty impressive.

$120 is the retail price for Windows 8, I'm not sure how linking an OEM copy of WIndows 7 Home Premium is a relevant comparison.

For reference, a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium costs $180

And Windows 8 Pro is a heck of a bargain. Windows 8 Pro's feature set is equivalent with Windows 7 Ultimate, which retails for $299

I'm sure the prices of OEM editions of Windows 8 will see a similar price drop to OEM editions of Windows 7, but you can't compare retail pricing to OEM pricing.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Let me know when the next Windows OS comes out.... till then I see no reason to "upgrade."

The price doesn't seem too outrageous if the product remains useful for a couple of years or more.

And Windows 8 Pro is a heck of a bargain. Windows 8 Pro's feature set is equivalent with Windows 7 Ultimate, which retails for $299
A bargain relative to Windows 7 Ultimate and to Microsoft's past pricing of their 'professional-grade' versions, yes. A bargain relative to other commercial operating systems...not so much.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A bargain relative to Windows 7 Ultimate and to Microsoft's past pricing of their 'professional-grade' versions, yes.
Microsoft's biggest competitor is themselves when it comes to desktop operating systems, so that is pretty easily the most valid comparison

Student Discount of 100% ;)

wait what am i saying?? I've got 500 different technology fees included in my tuition... shit :eek:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

More expensive then you can buy 7 for. Those who got it for $15, sure I get it. However anyone who pays More for that is a fool. I have come to the conclusion that this year has been a long bad acid flashback for most of redmond. If you don't understand what I am talking about, just drive by that Campus one day. The VW Van ratio is Pretty impressive.

Guess i am a fool along with many other people, I would buy this because i look beyond "metro" unlike the other "lets hate M$ because it is cool!" bandwagon people.

Not that i have to, technet ;)

A bargain relative to Windows 7 Ultimate and to Microsoft's past pricing of their 'professional-grade' versions, yes. A bargain relative to other commercial operating systems...not so much.

If you're planning a new build and want a professional grade version, it makes Windows 8 Pro the cheaper way to go. Why pay more for Windows 7 Ultimate? Unless you hate Windows 8 so much you'd rather pay extra for Windows 7.

Guess i am a fool along with many other people, I would buy this because i look beyond "metro" unlike the other "lets hate M$ because it is cool!" bandwagon people.

Not that i have to, technet ;)

And if you dislike Obama, you're racist... Some people don't like Windows 8, but actually don't mind MS as a company and love their other offerings.

I already upgraded. I was hoping they'd offer another discount rate like Win8 itself so I could buy a few more copies for other builds or family. I'm a fool, too. It's worth the cash for the new OS vs. Windows 7.

I don't think microsoft sees how fucked their consumer market is. They're currently competing against android and apple. There's no compelling reason to upgrade to 8 or 8.1 for me. My Windows 7 machine does everything i need and there's no must have upgrade. Currently I'm using my windows machines less and less by transitioning to by android phone and tablets. I only use my windows machines for heavy lifting.

In the corporate world they're pretty set. No worries there, business are not going to switch to linux, apple or android anytime soon.

Did they give the option to remove metro yet? I know to some it seems silly to not buy a product because of something like metro, but I refuse to buy it untill they return it to the functionallity of 7. I have used it at work and I hate it, I am a person who hates change though. I just don't understand why they forced a touch screen os on people who have no use for one? So I'm going to be stubborn and ignore any of the benefits untill It works like 7 :) It's not like they can't they just refuse to as well, so we will be stuborn together.

If you're planning a new build and want a professional grade version, it makes Windows 8 Pro the cheaper way to go. Why pay more for Windows 7 Ultimate? Unless you hate Windows 8 so much you'd rather pay extra for Windows 7.
Oh, I don't disagree. I just take issue with the idea that a $200 operating system is a "bargain".

too expensive, with the Microsoft "tax"
Mac OS X costs a fraction of Windows. what is the world coming too...

too expensive, with the Microsoft "tax"
Mac OS X costs a fraction of Windows. what is the world coming too...
OSX requires the purchase of a Mac in order for the license to be valid. The additional cost is hidden in the hardware.

OSX also generally charges you for every new version. This is a free upgrade for those who already have Windows 8.0

Can you still do a "fresh" install with upgrade copies? While I won't complain about that loop hole, it at least was better then xp (or was it 98) where 000-0000-etc worked fine.

Start up the $15 upgrade program that didn't even require the Win7 key, then I'll pick up another copy of Win 8 :)

Can you still do a "fresh" install with upgrade copies? While I won't complain about that loop hole, it at least was better then xp (or was it 98) where 000-0000-etc worked fine.

Yes, this is only an update.

That's a rather innocuous-sounding way of stating that Microsoft has a monopoly in the desktop OS market.

But it's the truth when it comes to the desktop. And while Microsoft has done many thing that were anti-competitive that's been a while and it seems like no one ever bothered to compete with Microsoft on the desktop. Apple was only interested in selling devices and little beyond lip service has been attempted by any company with resources to get Linux going on the desktop.

No, the license requires that it only be used on authorized Apple hardware. You don't need to purchase the authorized hardware.
So you're counting on someone gifting you a mac to run OSX on? Or are you going to steal a one? :p

With PC hardware so cheap now Windows can now be as much as 50% of the cost of a computer. I recently got an email advertising some Acer Revo desktops, which they offered with either Windows 8 or FreeDOS. The price with Windows 8 was pretty much double the price with FreeDOS.

It would be great if Linux weren't crap, but I try it every six months and each time I find it's still rubbish. I'll just stick with Windows 7 until support ends in 2020. Hopefully Linux will have improved by then.

Don't forget that Media Center is not included anymore and now cost extra so Windows 7 Ultimate is not a direct equivalent.

Media Center Feature Pricing:
Windows 8 = $99.99 (includes pro upgrade)
Windows 8 Pro = $9.99

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/feature-packs
Only really matters if you need Media Center on your PC, though. Most people don't so it's not a concern.

I use Windows Media Center heavily, but I technically only need it on a single machine to cover the entire house (can have a bunch of Media Center Extenders running off a single PC).

"Originally Posted by Unknown-One View Post
OSX requires the purchase of a Mac in order for the license to be valid."

No, the license requires that it only be used on authorized Apple hardware. You don't need to purchase the authorized hardware.

What the hell are you going to do w/ a licensed OSX with no hardware to run it on, lay in bed and cuddle with it?

Back