Windows 8.1, so far so good

For those running the 8.1 RTM/TechNet - you'll have a 200+MB update today. It installs quickly, though. Only took about 2-3 minutes for me.
I didn't have time to try any of them out, but literally all of the Start Apps have updates, too.

For some reason now I have a watermark that says Windows 8.1 Pro Secure boot isn't configured correctly Build 9600

What gives?

So I updated to 8.1 this morning, and on my OS drive I went from 90.5 GB free space to 101 GB free space. Ands thats before deleting Windows.old (which saves another ~ 5 GB). What changed to free up so much space I wonder? Or did the update just clean up a lot of junk or something. I don't know, but I noticed the same behavior when I updated my Surface RT to the 8.1 preview back when it came out.

Just an observation.

hmmm damn now I want to cancel my download =)

I had a watermark remover program for the preview but I wouldn't recommend it......

Everyone seems to be having this problem over the past few weeks

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...tly-quot-Watermark-Windows-8-1-Core-activated

I'm living with windows 8.0 then.....I installed it with UEFI too so I don't know what I would get with this update I bet the message boards are flooded after today.

Last edited:
So I updated to 8.1 this morning, and on my OS drive I went from 90.5 GB free space to 101 GB free space. Ands thats before deleting Windows.old (which saves another ~ 5 GB). What changed to free up so much space I wonder? Or did the update just clean up a lot of junk or something. I don't know, but I noticed the same behavior when I updated my Surface RT to the 8.1 preview back when it came out.

Just an observation.

Ditto. Mine went from 95'ish to 101'ish with the TechNet version, too. It could be related to the size of some of the apps or the new search, or even just removal or random things most people don't know about or use. There is a boatload of legacy stuff floating around in your Windows folders and I've noticed that the Temp folders tend to get needlessly bloated and rarely emptied, too.
Either way - it's not a bad thing to get a random free 5-10GB!

Ditto. Mine went from 95'ish to 101'ish with the TechNet version, too. It could be related to the size of some of the apps or the new search, or even just removal or random things most people don't know about or use. There is a boatload of legacy stuff floating around in your Windows folders and I've noticed that the Temp folders tend to get needlessly bloated and rarely emptied, too.
Either way - it's not a bad thing to get a random free 5-10GB!

Then you'd be happy to switch to linux. Free up 30gb of useless windows files instantly.

Ok so I got sick of the secure boot watermark so I enable secure boot in the bios.

Computer will not boot. I reset the CMOS. Boots to windows. I try to get back into the bios through the windows options, computer will not go into the bios. Used my dual bios got back into windows.

So I played a few games and now I get a weird stuttering when moving around side to side. Also the mouse acceleration is toast - not sure what they changed.

Not happy with this shit.

I'm also having some problems with windows 8. I'm getting some weird cpu usage from "system interrupts"
that's utilizing 5-8 percent. It's driving me crazy, also I am unable to get the correct bios that allows me to adjust the cpu voltage (only certain bios will allow for the crosshair iv). I tried installing the correct one but it says its incompatible. Thinking of just going back to windows 7 and using windows 8 on my Ncase M1 build when it arrives.

Is the Windows Store upgrade for Windows 8 users rolling out a new installation of 8.1 and leaving a windows.old folder behind on C:\ ?

I used one of the leaked RTM images for a clean installation and activated with my Win 8 SB key. Besides 2 DCOM errors being logged every start things are working fine here. Not sure whats causing them, my Win 8 log was always clean and error free:

The server {1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Maybe I should install Windows 8 again and use the Store Upgrade like Microsoft wants us to lol.

For me not so good. Upgraded to 8.1 I have the pro version.
I'm getting SecureBoot isn't configured correctly. Then it says build 9600 below on the desktop bottom right corner.

I don't even have secureboot turned on in the bios. Also looks like 8.1 made me use my MS account instead of local system for some reason.

For me not so good. Upgraded to 8.1 I have the pro version.
I'm getting SecureBoot isn't configured correctly. Then it says build 9600 below on the desktop bottom right corner.

I don't even have secureboot turned on in the bios. Also looks like 8.1 made me use my MS account instead of local system for some reason.

Have the same thing with the secure boot.

You can still skip the MS account part. You need to click I don't have an account and then at the bottom you can skip it.

So I upgraded to 8.1.

Issue #1 my technet windows 8 Pro key was not detected as valid. I got a generic key, and proceeded to upgrade. Actually there is no "upgrade" option, there's the keep files and settings which I feared might mess with the programs installed, but everything went fine.

Upgrade took a while, like an 1:40+, but still better than reinstalling everything.

After numerous reboots finally the "new" desktop. So lets change the key and activate.... nope it won't work it says "windows can't activate try again later" This has happened to me before with windows 7 so its probably MS fault.

Other than the start button and boot to desktop, I don't really see much of a difference.

I don't really see any reason to upgrade from 7, but its a must for current windows 8 users.

Since the upgrade took a long time, did it really take a while on the "Setting up a few more things"?

Just updated - took a long time. Every step, including "Setting up a few more things" took a while.

Issues
1) It forces (or tricks) you into switching your local (in Win 8) into a MS account since you have to enter one to get past the initial setup. Thankfully switching your account back to a local one is easy.

2). My fingerprint scanner no longer works! This is one of my favorite features of laptops and 8.1 broke it somehow.

Just canceled my install. I'm not taking the risk for a couple of Start screen cosmetic options.

Just an update, but it looks like people with Media Center are getting a separate install from those without. On my desktop the install was called Windows 8.1 Pro and on my notebook it was Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center.

So far so good with Windows 8.1. Only two minor issues with Apache 2.2 and Subsonic but was easily fixed, and a third somewhat annoying issue with SecureBoot.

Apache 2.2 - Reinstalled the service in command prompt [run as admin]. (httpd -k install ...then httpd -k start)
Subsonic - Reinstalled it.

SecureBoot
- If it's disabled in your BIOS, Windows 8.1 will leave a watermark in the lower-right corner saying it is incorrectly configured.
- To disable the watermark, go into your BIOS, enable and install the default SecureBoot keys. The last part is important as simply enabling it does not remove the warning watermark.

I'm honestly liking the new Start Screen, it's more workable than before, and having to use my desktop wallpaper as the background is a nice touch. The new Settings screen is now more organized than before.

Man that was hard just finding how to update the damn thing........Mine wouldn't show up until i updated other apps that needed updating (which i never use) . This is a horrible implementation because my mom or dad or regular person would never know how to do this stuff and find the update in the store.....

Update on my Notebook is going on hour 2 now (currently on "Applying PC Settings") :-(

Update on my Notebook is going on hour 2 now (currently on "Applying PC Settings") :-(

Took about 70 minuets on my Sandy Bridge i7 Lenovo x220t with an SSD. Took 4 1/2 hours on my Samsung 500T Clover Trail. Lot of time but so far no issues on either.

The 8.1 Pro download from the Windows Store is agonizingly slow. I started it an hour ago and it's maybe 10% done. 45Mbps Internet connection, too.

Since the upgrade took a long time, did it really take a while on the "Setting up a few more things"?

Eset Smart Security 6 was the culprit. Uninstalling it and then running the update solved my issue.

Back