Windows 8.1 slow login in issue

techie81

[H]ard for [H]ardware
Since upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 pro, when I enter my password and hit enter it takes anywhere from 15-30 seconds to get to the desktop every time. It was instant before the upgrade.

What I have tried so far:
Disabled all start up items except Soundblaster control panel, origin, steam, and CCC.

Any ideas?

Specs:

Gigabyte Z87X-UD5h
4670k stock
256 GB M4 SSD
MSI 6950

Are you using a Microsoft account vs. a local account? MS accounts are slower, I've noticed.

Just updated all my machines to 8.1 recently, did not notice this on any of them.

Just for shits, try turning on without the ethernet cable plugged in

Just updated all my machines to 8.1 recently, did not notice this on any of them.

Just for shits, try turning on without the ethernet cable plugged in

nice idea but sadly it did not have any effect on the issue. I am going to guess that there must be some kind of incompatibility between 8.1 and a driver possibly.

After my PC was upgraded to 8.1, I too started getting the slow login issue and could not diagnose the problem. I then bought a Surface Pro that developed the same problem.

A fix I found was to open the Services and look for the Credential Manager, this was set to manual startup. I changed it to automatic on both my PC and Surface Pro, and neither has had the slow login issue again.

I had a bad drive hooked up to my box and it took forever to log in

Back