Windows 8.1 seems to delete backups on external drive when it's reconnected

apopleptic

Limp Gawd
My brother is running a laptop with Windows 8.1 and he is copying data from the internal drive to a USB drive and then deleting the original copy and the recycle bin.
Then when he reconnects the external drive the copy on the external drive magically goes to the recycle bin causing him to have accidentally deleted a number of files before catching this odd behavior...
Any thoughts?

In this process, when exactly is the external storage disconnected?
Is external storage an HDD or flash disk?
What are the recycle bin settings both global and per device?

supposedly, the drives are disconnected before deleting the files off the internal some times, and left connected others.
I'll get the recycle bin settings, is there anything in particular you suspect?

Sorry that this won't answer your question, but...

This is not a backup. Backup = redundancy.
Not helpful, opinionated, and I disagree with what I consider a SEMI accurate statement. Once you make a backup of data, you may erase the original, modify it, or experience a failure of equipment. That does not mean you didn't make a 'backup' of the original all of a sudden.

Imagine, if you might, this scenario: You properly backup your data on an external drive which you store offsite in a airgap server room, inside a fireproof safe surrounded by armed guards. You are fully intending to keep your original, but you accidentally delete the file and before you notice it you had already emptied your recycle bin. Imagine then that you then go to your server room and get your 'backup' which is now your only extant copy. You plug it into your machine, open the drive, see your file vanish in front of your eyes... Would you still say what you had said above in that case?

Not helpful, opinionated, and I disagree with what I consider a SEMI accurate statement. Once you make a backup of data, you may erase the original, modify it, or experience a failure of equipment. That does not mean you didn't make a 'backup' of the original all of a sudden.

Imagine, if you might, this scenario: You properly backup your data on an external drive which you store offsite in a airgap server room, inside a fireproof safe surrounded by armed guards. You are fully intending to keep your original, but you accidentally delete the file and before you notice it you had already emptied your recycle bin. Imagine then that you then go to your server room and get your 'backup' which is now your only extant copy. You plug it into your machine, open the drive, see your file vanish in front of your eyes... Would you still say what you had said above in that case?
I would not, because a fundamental difference exists between "my brother deletes the original" & "you accidentally delete the file." Understanding this point could save data one day.

Sorry that you didn't find this helpful. I'll butt out now.

Back