Windows 8.1 RTM Could Go Gold 'Any Day'

Windows 8.1 (2013)
Started playing with the build that leaked yesterday and it has the animated Start Screen backgrounds unlike the Preview. The new tile sizes and the ability of apps designed for it to use the extra space is pretty cool and the smaller size for static tiles allows for a lot more to be put in the same amount of space.​

Animated backgrounds - do they support movie files (mpg, avi or other) similar to Dreamscene?​

OMG! ANIMATED BACKGROUNDS!!! AT LAST!

Seriously guys, I am a happy win8 user but this is just silly.

Animated backgrounds - do they support movie files (mpg, avi or other) similar to Dreamscene?

It's not like Dreamscene which was video or an DX program. There more like sprites that move in relation to the screen, definitely a gimmick but so was Dreamscene. The ability to use the desktop background as the Start Screen background is much more important I think.

Windows 8.1 (2013)

Screenshot%20(7).png

What a remarkable clusterf*ck

What a remarkable clusterf*ck

But it's my cluster. The apps and information that I want to quickly access can all be setup at the beginning of Start Screen and this resolution is only 1366x768. I find it interesting how many Windows 8 opponents bemoan the supposed like of choice in Windows 8 yet will reject choices they don't like.

But it's my cluster. The apps and information that I want to quickly access can all be setup at the beginning of Start Screen and this resolution is only 1366x768. I find it interesting how many Windows 8 opponents bemoan the supposed like of choice in Windows 8 yet will reject choices they don't like.

Well, what else are they to do with choices they don't like? Accept them while moving a few inches closer to the Microsoft erection with a wide open mouth?

Windows 7 with widgets destroys the cleanest Win8 metro screen I've ever seen. I dont use widgets but just saying, that Win8 start screen would drive me nuts, way too cluttered for my liking.

It's not like Dreamscene which was video or an DX program. There more like sprites that move in relation to the screen, definitely a gimmick but so was Dreamscene. The ability to use the desktop background as the Start Screen background is much more important I think.

Having the same background on start screen and desktop helps out a lot. It makes them feel more integrated... Nothing really changed other than a background image, but it feels better....

I am one of the few that like animated backgrounds. Dreamscene was good (Dreamscapes from Stardock was great, too). I like eye candy, that's why I like Aero Glass over the flat Metro style desktop theme. I guess some themes are optional and others you can't have the choice...

"Let's clutter the fuck outta the UI... and now animate it! Win Win!"

"Let's clutter the fuck outta the UI... and now animate it! Win Win!"

How exactly is something cluttered about an overlay that's arranged with the apps and information that the person who arranged it wants? The tiles on this screen, the sizes and positions are almost completely customizable.

How exactly is something cluttered about an overlay that's arranged with the apps and information that the person who arranged it wants? The tiles on this screen, the sizes and positions are almost completely customizable.

The screenshot you posted isn't all that unique as Metro screens go. The point is the UI is a clusterf*ck and the screenshot reinforces the impression that it was a UI designed by an ADHD kid cranked up on a double dose of Ritalin. And thats not even factoring the blinking live tiles constantly scrolling new photos and crap by with no context for *when* something new happened or a change took place or a new message came in.

The screenshot you posted isn't all that unique as Metro screens go.

As though individual Start Menus with nothing more than static links would me more unique. However what is in this particular screen shot is unique to Windows 8.1 and post-Preview builds as.

And thats not even factoring the blinking live tiles constantly scrolling new photos and crap by with no context for *when* something new happened or a change took place or a new message came in.

That's up to how the app displays it's live tile, there would be nothing preventing a time stamp from showing up, the Finance app timestamps its market ticker for instance. The way it works with the current version of the mail app is the last three unread messages from the mail boxes set for notifications.

No, it was stated long ago that there would only be one public beta release

bad move by MS...why not release the release candidate version to the public to sell them on the finished product?...MS did that with every other OS for the last few years...it won't cost them anything and can only be a good thing

it won't cost them anything and can only be a good thing

Of course it costs them, you have to package and then support that release. The Preview release is now looped into Windows Updates and just a bunch of updates today.

bad move by MS...why not release the release candidate version to the public to sell them on the finished product?...MS did that with every other OS for the last few years...it won't cost them anything and can only be a good thing

Because it always eventually filters down to the non tech public as a free upgrade of windows, and none of the drawbacks. He'll you'll see some bitching here among people who know better, just you wait. "What you mean I have to reinstall apps! Why did they release this POS to the public!!!"

Because it always eventually filters down to the non tech public as a free upgrade of windows, and none of the drawbacks. He'll you'll see some bitching here among people who know better, just you wait. "What you mean I have to reinstall apps! Why did they release this POS to the public!!!"

Yup, that or the people on here that bitch about "Fucking beta of windows crashed on me. they really should test this shit before they relese it."

Windows 7 with widgets destroys the cleanest Win8 metro screen I've ever seen. I dont use widgets but just saying, that Win8 start screen would drive me nuts, way too cluttered for my liking.

What are you talking about. I see the Metro screen for about a second each time and it's clean

Yup, that or the people on here that bitch about "Fucking beta of windows crashed on me. they really should test this shit before they relese it."

It happens all the time. I can't count how many times I've had to tell people "It's a beta, that's what you should expect...", and they say they didn't know it was a beta, or it would crash, or they would have to reinstall, etc.. So, you have to point to the part where it tells you right up front before you download. So many idiots out there think that the betas are final releases, so they download and install and expect a final release type of performance. Then, after a few months, they complain that it expired and they have to reinstall....

It happens all the time. I can't count how many times I've had to tell people "It's a beta, that's what you should expect...", and they say they didn't know it was a beta, or it would crash, or they would have to reinstall, etc.. So, you have to point to the part where it tells you right up front before you download. So many idiots out there think that the betas are final releases, so they download and install and expect a final release type of performance. Then, after a few months, they complain that it expired and they have to reinstall....

betas from 10 years ago are not the same type of betas released today...today they are much more polished...plus manufacturers are now releasing betas with the intent to get as many people as possible to try their product...so most betas are worth trying to get a feel for a product and manufacturers are to blame for making them so readily available nowadays

betas from 10 years ago are not the same type of betas released today...today they are much more polished...plus manufacturers are now releasing betas with the intent to get as many people as possible to try their product...so most betas are worth trying to get a feel for a product and manufacturers are to blame for making them so readily available nowadays

Most of that is abuse and misuse of the word, like Google using it for gmail and gtalk for years for no good reason. You can argue that this is why Microsoft has called public betas "previews" for the past couple of years, but the name change still hasn't done anything about the confusion. But this is what happens when people think they are good at computers because they know a lot about facebook and twitter.

Back