Windows 8.1 RTM Could Go Gold 'Any Day'

So when does the existing users of this disaster get the "patch"? Last I heard, Win 8 users would get the update to 8.1 for free.

Prolly changed that though.

If only they made it switchable to use Metro or not.

Thats all we want, and the normal Start Menu ofcourse.

But Foley said 8.1 was going retail months ago, then in May, then in June, then in July, then for sure on August 1 and now "any day now". Damn female version of Fuad. If I didn't know any better, I might be fool enough to believe anything she posts is based in reality.

Billions of dollars of research say we consumers have no idea what the hell we want and MS needs to keep that shitty interface in hopes of boosting tablet and phone sales at the cost of selling desktops.

Actually, I would personally like some type of Aero back. I can't stand the sight of the interface in Win 8. The plain monotone colors of the windows, the pointy edges. Feels as if I was still using win 3.1X again.

Actually, I would personally like some type of Aero back. I can't stand the sight of the interface in Win 8. The plain monotone colors of the windows, the pointy edges. Feels as if I was still using win 3.1X again.
Won't be long and they'll be telling us that the command line is the wave of the future.

I highly doubt we'll see Aero again in any new Windows builds. Its gone as well in Office 2013 (even using it on Windows 7).

But Foley said 8.1 was going retail months ago, then in May, then in June, then in July, then for sure on August 1 and now "any day now". Damn female version of Fuad. If I didn't know any better, I might be fool enough to believe anything she posts is based in reality.

Not sure where you saw that, Mary Jo has been pretty spot on from the stuff I remember and she was the first or among the first to break the story of Windows Blue almost a year ago: http://www.zdnet.com/windows-next-just-call-it-blue-7000002535/. She even mentioned "Windows 8.1" as a possible name back then:

The word seems to be, whichever it is, that Microsoft is moving away from the big-bang Windows release schedule to which it typically has adhered, and is now attempting to move toward something more like what Apple does, with point releases. I'll be curious if Blue eventually gets a version number, like Windows 8.1 or 8.5 or something. And if we'll see Blue materializes in the summer of 2013, as I've heard from some of my contacts....

Thats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Seinfeld-Quote.gif

Am I the only one who read the title of the article as "gone cold" instead of "gone gold"?

As trivial as OS appearance sounds, I completely agree with you. An advanced OS from 2013 shouldn't look like it's being rendered in 256 colors.

Not sure where you saw that
News posts, um, here and something called "Google" can help you find female Fuad's bad predictions. More than you'll have time to read.

After a couple of decades in the computer journalism, and many MS Build conferences, she still doesn't understand the software design cycle or the difference between milestone builds and betas (and RTM) when it comes to something as straightforward as Windows releases. That woman is a complete idiot, but I guess if she tells you things you like, she's a genius. :p

News posts, um, here and something called "Google" can help you find female Fuad's bad predictions. More than you'll have time to read.

After a couple of decades in the computer journalism, and many MS Build conferences, she still doesn't understand the software design cycle or the difference between milestone builds and betas (and RTM) when it comes to something as straightforward as Windows releases. That woman is a complete idiot, but I guess if she tells you things you like, she's a genius. :p

I'm not saying she's a tech wiz and gets everything right but she and Paul Thurrott obviously know a lot of people at Microsoft and they often nail it. The article I linked to from August of last year mentioned 8.1 as a possible name, that Blue would be an update to 8 and not a new major version and that Windows would be going to a yearly update cycle, information that panned out almost perfectly.

will there be a new 'release candidate' public release?

No, it was stated long ago that there would only be one public beta release. My guess if that we'll get the RTM announcement next week, which distribution to MSDN and TechNet soon after, maybe even that same day and then general electronic distribution by the end of the month and retail boxed copies and 8.1 devices towards the end of September to early October.

My shit could come out 'any day' from now. Just as many people care about it, as they do Windows 8.1.

I do miss the beauty of the Win 7 start button, but only the button, not the menu. I get by on Windows 8 by stripping out all the tablet features of Metro. Admittedly, some of the apps are pretty cool

Had another client complain that Windows 8 blows and she wants the old star menu back. I told her to return the laptop and order a Windows 7 model.

I do miss the beauty of the Win 7 start button, but only the button, not the menu. I get by on Windows 8 by stripping out all the tablet features of Metro. Admittedly, some of the apps are pretty cool

It sounds like that you might like 8.1 then as the Start Button is back but not the menu.

Had another client complain that Windows 8 blows and she wants the old star menu back. I told her to return the laptop and order a Windows 7 model.

Why, real helpful, hope she finds someone else to be a client for, just saying.

Keep it to yourself or go use the gas station bathroom at the corner. Otherwise.... :rolleyes:

I have no idea what the point is in comments like these when any sane person knows that on Day One 8.1 will be installed on no less than a million PCs. That's only about 1% of the PCs probably already running 8.

It is!!! Have you not heard of powershell? Lol, pretty powerful cmd line, but not alot of people want to relearn something new when old ways usually still work.

Won't be long and they'll be telling us that the command line is the wave of the future.

anyone thinking on going mac all the way? I am thinking about it.

Have fun with those prebuilt, non customizable computers. I prefer to build my own so I will stick with Windows. As in, no, I am not going to a Mac part way or at all. (They are nice machines and easy to use and just as easy to fix as a PC for me but, I do not have a ton of money sitting around to waste on them.)

Macs are nice computers, but it's a lot simpler to just use an older, but still supported Windows OS if you don't like the current ones. Maybe Linux? I like Mint, but it's better to use Mint on older computers that don't handle a modern OS like Vista or 7 so you can at least get away from XP.

Why, real helpful, hope she finds someone else to be a client for, just saying.

Actually my job is to provide solutions to my clients and they had it with Windows 8 metros interface. I offered to teach them but they want the Windows 7 traditional interface. So where do you work? Best Buy where they kept telling her its the best thing and just to keep using it? I have NEVER in 17 had so many clients tell me they did not want to upgrade to the latest OS.

I highly doubt we'll see Aero again in any new Windows builds. Its gone as well in Office 2013 (even using it on Windows 7).

Which is unfortunate, as the loss of Aero Glass was a big strike against my adopting win8 on my home machine, and the loss of it (+ OMGRIBBON!!) means I'll never use Office 2013 either, and no client has ever expressed joy at discovering the ribbon after "upgrading"...

I always find the "I'm moving to Mac" comments. Macs don't have start menu or buttons either. Instead of you have a dock for some programs (same as pinning stuff to your task bar in windows) and then a folder with programs icons in it. Even Gnome moved to something like the windows 8 start screen long before windows did. Just pages and pages of icons for your programs.

Which is unfortunate, as the loss of Aero Glass was a big strike against my adopting win8 on my home machine, and the loss of it (+ OMGRIBBON!!) means I'll never use Office 2013 either, and no client has ever expressed joy at discovering the ribbon after "upgrading"...

Depends on the person and how much they refuse change. I know people that like the ribbon changes with 2007 and up and have told people how much better the newer versions of office are and how much faster they can do things in them. So I have expeirenced that. And as I have said before on here about that topic, Microsoft is in a lose lose no matter what they do. If they change something (add ribbons, change the UI) then people bitch about how they changed something and that it should still be the way it was back with windows 95 and office 97. If they don't change the way things look then people bitch about how the new product is EXACTLY like the old one and that they did change anything. Even on here you have people that do nothing but bitch about how Vista was just XP with a new start button and Aero added. Windows 7 was nothing but Vista with a new start button. When windows 8 came out people could bitch that it is Windows 7 but instead bitch how they changed the interface. So it doesn't matter what they do a lot of people would bitch either way. But there are people that do find the changes to office nice. They will say it takes them a week or two to get use to the ribbon design to find where things are if they aren't given any type of training on it, but once they figure out where the things they need are they find it much nicer to work in. At least in my expeirence, I actually am on the flip side and have never actually heard a person say bad things about the ribbon once they have been using them. Instead before I got everyone in the company upgraded I had people asking me when they were going to get the newer version of office as they used it somewhere else and liked it a lot more than 2003 or lower that they had on their office machine. Even had people from other companies that we work with on different things talk about it after their company went through upgrades and say that while it was taking them a few days to learn where a few things were that they were liking it.

As for as aero, i can live without it.

Actually my job is to provide solutions to my clients and they had it with Windows 8 metros interface. I offered to teach them but they want the Windows 7 traditional interface. So where do you work? Best Buy where they kept telling her its the best thing and just to keep using it? I have NEVER in 17 had so many clients tell me they did not want to upgrade to the latest OS.

But, you rather tell your client to return a system that they probably already have setup the way they need it, they just hate one thing about it instead of telling them to get Start8 or Classic Shell or similar. Oh I get it, you get another service fee when they want you to set it all up again...

Love metro, now that I am used to it it's way faster for me to do things than it used to be with start menu.

If they change something (add ribbons, change the UI) then people bitch about how they changed something and that it should still be the way it was back with windows 95 and office 97. If they don't change the way things look then people bitch about how the new product is EXACTLY like the old one and that they did change anything. Even on here you have people that do nothing but bitch about how Vista was just XP with a new start button and Aero added. Windows 7 was nothing but Vista with a new start button. When windows 8 came out people could bitch that it is Windows 7 but instead bitch how they changed the interface. So it doesn't matter what they do a lot of people would bitch either way.

Yeah, but you and I and most people here know that the most important changes between versions are under the hood. MS pushes these interface changes to make it look like they are doing something, and in the process alienate a portion of their customer base every time. I dont really see the upside in that, and especially dont see it when they explicitly *remove* the option to have things look and work the way people are familiar with... unless they are trying to I dunno, sell tablets or something.

As for as aero, i can live without it.

To be specific, Aero is still there, it's Glass that is gone (explicitly removed between RTM version and actual Release...) I liked Glass, a lot. Win8 and Google Chrome and this whole minimalist UI thing is annoying to me... I'm using a desktop, not a phone. I like pretty glass coloured controls that have mouseover effects and are clearly deliniated from the rest of the interface and not just sort of splashed haphazardly across the screen.

Really wish they'd unlink the presentation manager from the rest of windows, as in linux, which is great for customizing that sort of thing, even though the linux world is going through some crazy shit atm too (ugh new gnome and kde... wtf??) But basically no chance of that happening any time soon, although Win8 would have been a great time to do it... that way you could install it with either metro, the desktop, or both, or a 3rd party one - let the user decide! I know, crazy concept, right?

Yeah, but you and I and most people here know that the most important changes between versions are under the hood. MS pushes these interface changes to make it look like they are doing something, and in the process alienate a portion of their customer base every time. I dont really see the upside in that, and especially dont see it when they explicitly *remove* the option to have things look and work the way people are familiar with... unless they are trying to I dunno, sell tablets or something.

To be specific, Aero is still there, it's Glass that is gone (explicitly removed between RTM version and actual Release...) I liked Glass, a lot. Win8 and Google Chrome and this whole minimalist UI thing is annoying to me... I'm using a desktop, not a phone. I like pretty glass coloured controls that have mouseover effects and are clearly deliniated from the rest of the interface and not just sort of splashed haphazardly across the screen.

Really wish they'd unlink the presentation manager from the rest of windows, as in linux, which is great for customizing that sort of thing, even though the linux world is going through some crazy shit atm too (ugh new gnome and kde... wtf??) But basically no chance of that happening any time soon, although Win8 would have been a great time to do it... that way you could install it with either metro, the desktop, or both, or a 3rd party one - let the user decide! I know, crazy concept, right?

Ok, but then, Microsoft should not be required to support that at all. It would be like me buying my Dart, modding it up, having it crap out on me and then expecting Dodge to take care of it under warranty. You can already use third party stuff anyways, so what is the problem again?

You can say that "we" know better however I am talking about people on this site. The people posting in this and other threads. They are the ones that don't know stuff happens under the hood. They are the ones that when windows 7 came out where here in these post bitching about having to pay for windows 7 when it looks just like window vista, they were the ones calling it a service pack not a new version of windows. People are just going to bitch and moan no matter what Microsoft does. They will never win, they will never make people happy.

Back