Windows 8.1: Intermittent freezes in Youtube app?

Madcap

Weaksauce
Hey all, I recently bought a Lenovo G50-30 laptop with Windows 8.1.

Problem: When I try to play Youtube videos in the "Youtube for Windows 8" app, the entire computer freezes in short bursts, including the sound and mouse pointer! Please look at this video to see what I mean:

http://youtu.be/yugPGrKu9i8

As you can see, CPU usage remains low. I tried reinstalling Windows but got the same error. I also get the same error using different Youtube apps. When the entire video has been loaded into memory, the stuttering often disappears. If I use Chrome to play the videos, there are no such pauses but the frame rate isnt as high (also, CPU usage is about 70 %). I'm on WLAN.

I've tried disabling the AVG antivirus, but no difference. The problem was present also before I changed the HDD for an SSD. I'd be grateful for any tips as to what is going on, as this is very annoying! Thank you.

BTW the computer plays 1080p video just fine, no stuttering at all.

So, Chrome CPU usage is high and has no problem, while this app's CPU usage is low and does have a problem.

I know you can turn Flash hardware acceleration on or off in Chrome, but can you do it in this app?

I've just discovered that if I use a LAN cable (Wi-Fi off / flight mode on) the stuttering completely disappears.

Maybe the WLAN driver is interacting with some other driver or component in the system? As mentioned, the stuttering often disappears when the video has completely loaded (using Wi-Fi). Very strange. In device manager, it is listed as Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC. Driver version 2012.6.1218.2013, date 26.12.2013, digitally signed. I used the same driver when reinstalling Win 8, so that also makes sense.

The problem is what to do now; having Wi-Fi is pretty useful! It seems to be the newest driver available on the Lenovo web site.

I will check the Youtube for Windows 8 app to see if there are any video options, thanks for your input.

Thanks for your tip about looking for drivers on other manufacturers' web pages. I installed the driver but, unfortunately, the problem persists.

I also tried a driver from the ASUS homepage, but there is still no change in the stuttering (currently I am running driver version 2012.14.417.2014, date 30.04.2014). As before, as soon as the entire video has been downloaded (ie the horizontal bar is filled and download stops), the stuttering disappears.

Maybe I could tweak settings inside the driver? I have the following options:
802.11d, Bandwidth, Beacon Interval, Preamble Mode, Roaming Sensitivity Level, Wake on Magic Packet, Wake on Pattern Match, WiFi Config, Wireless Mode. In addition there are a few power saving options.

If anyone has any tips on what else could be the cause I'd be very grateful. This WLAN card seems to be common, so it's strange that noone else has experienced this problem.

Problem solved! I went into the advanced submenu for the WLAN driver and changed Wireless mode from Auto to IEEE 802.11b. That somehow did the trick, no more freezing and stuttering!

Thanks again for your input guys, now to watch some Youtube videos!

Problem solved! I went into the advanced submenu for the WLAN driver and changed Wireless mode from Auto to IEEE 802.11b. That somehow did the trick, no more freezing and stuttering!

Thanks again for your input guys, now to watch some Youtube videos!

In some cases the auto setting makes your wifi jump from mode to another which causes freezes.

Back