Windows 8.1 Event Viewer...

Entilza

Limp Gawd
I must say the amount of crap one finds when looking through a Windows 8.1 Event viewer is awesome. Never ceases to amaze me the wonders of this magical place. It's like looking into outer space and finding new wonders.

Ahh the tool that is pretty interesting, yet nobody uses lol. Well, probably not everyone, but it's one of those things that most of us don't go near unless we have to. It can be a mess getting through that if you're not familiar with the filters, but hardly a new feature.

I've been using the Event Viewer since Vista to troubleshoot problems, from minor things like boot time to major things like application and driver crashes. Very useful. Resource Monitor is another tool I find very useful, but didn't actually start using regularly until W7.

Yes it's a great tool, I just find so many more issues many of which seem fairly critical on many different windows 8 machines I've been analyzing. Some sound as if the computer has serious issues, but everything wroks fine. Just odd almost all the windows 8 ones have much more strange event issues than 7.

It is annoying to waste time looking up entries to find a microsoft answer along the lines of this is not a problem.
Why did i waste my time? If it is not a problem then don't log it....
More of an issue with earlier version then windows 8.1.

Event Viewer is an excellent troubleshooting tool and can help you identify potential problems before they become a show stopper. It's been in Windows for a long time....I know I use it all the time, or at least used to, on Server 2003 to identify issues. You'll see hard drive failures show up in Event Viewer long before the OS notifies you or is compromised in a noticeable way, for example. My 1st boss when I came into the IT industry hammered that tool into our minds as the first place to look for issues when someone reported anything.

I prefer to read my entire registry every few days...

But I agree with OP, it can be pretty helpful. Really opened my eyes to some of the crap windows 8.1 has going on with the built in task schedule stuff.... yikes.

Back