Windows 7 won't update to 10 - stuck at 0% downloaded

MN Scout

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey, anyone experience Windows 7 taking a very long time to check for updates, and more importantly getting stuck at 0% downloading. Unfortunately this is the last day for the free upgrade, and it looks like I'm stuck not being able to install it. I don't have a blank HD to frantically install Win 7 on, and then Win 10...:(

Things I've checked, my internet connection is strong, BITS service and Windows Update service is running, registry setting for OS upgrade hasn't been messed with. I have 35GB free on my OS drive.

Back in January I had changed Windows update to notify me of updates, but not install them. I recently changed that back.

Any thoughts? Am I screwed.....:drowning:

After a few restarts, telling it to check for updates again, letting it sit there for an hour it finally game back and said the only update was Windows 10. Clicked the button, and it is now downloading Windows 10. Not sure what was different these times vs earlier this evening. Ugh.

How many programs will break. 10, 20.... Will my SCSI emulated drivers still work...

Edit: I was working on this post/guide when you made the second post above so, it seems you got it kickstarted to some degrees. If you're serious about the SCSI drivers well, good luck with that too. Anyway, here's what I wrote - no sense deleting all of it at this point, the info could help someone else.

---------------------

You're going through the same issues a few million others have with Windows 7 the past 6 months or so, all of it carefully orchestrated by Microsoft (my personal belief) to frustrate users of Windows 7 specifically and push them over an edge to get them to upgrade to Windows 10. There's no legitimate reason Windows Update should be as slow as it is, with a patchwork of little files being dribbled out to the masses that supposedly fix the problems with the slow updates, one of them breaks something the previous one fixes so then they push another one, then another, and another and so on.

There's not much you can do overall except apply a few of them (if you haven't already) but it's not a guarantee. And with this being the very last day now (since it's July 29th in the Pacific time zone which is what Microsoft runs by) that means the sheer amount of network traffic hitting them today will be phenomenal with all those trying their best to get the Windows 10 free upgrade offer locked in place. The downside?

You're not going to get it to go much faster at this point but you can work on it. Check out:

AskWoody

and look for links to the updates related to the slow Windows Update performance. There are several that will need to be installed (if they're not already) and they can be downloaded from the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles directly (since Windows Update isn't going to work properly without them). The main ones you'll want to get are:

Windows_Updates.png

and there could be one or two others that Woody's blog/website there will list. Each one of those KB numbers is the Microsoft Knowledge Base article ID so, the URL will be in this format (I had to insert the spaces to keep the forum software from automagically creating a link but you get the idea):

https : //support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/<the article number>

Visit each one, grab the update (it might be a direct download link from that page itself, it could bump you to another page with the download link) based on your version (32 bit or 64 bit) and once you have all of them go offline - this is somewhat relevant because if you don't when you attempt to install these updates they will automagically try to check for any updates to THOSE updates from Windows Update so you can see how that won't work very well.

Grab all of them, install them one by one (the order really doesn't matter even though some folks will say it does. If an update is already installed it will tell you, if it's not then it may say it needs to reboot afterward - DON'T REBOOT until all of them are fully installed. Once the last one is installed at that point do a full system reboot, then hit Windows Update once again.

If things work as expected (and I've done that maybe 150 times in the past 2 months on client machines), the longest you should have to wait before it shows any updates is 10 minutes, perhaps no more than 15 at worst. If it doesn't do much after 15 minutes then you're going to be stuck like most everyone else hoping it works.

As for Windows 10, if you don't have that installed yet you can grab the ISO directly from the Techbench - mind you it won't be the Anniversary Update (which is currently available for Release Preview members and will be available on Tuesday if things go as scheduled for general wide release) but it will be Windows 10 (build 1511 from Feb 2016 aka Threshold 2). Grab the ISO, use that to do an upgrade install to get the free upgrade locked in before midnight Pacific time today (July 29th) and you're good to go, hopefully.

I'd make an image of your system if you can - you might not have any place to store the image since you said you don't have another hard drive, but most imaging software nowadays can image to a network drive if you have such a thing, even someplace else (not in your home, etc, as long as it's reachable by a network connection meaning yes an Internet connection will work too if things are set up correctly).

You waited, now you're going to "pay" for the wait with all the hassles of trying to do this stuff at the proverbial last minute.

Good luck. ;)

Download the media creation tool, insert a usb drive and create the media on that. Then install from there and you will be done. Not really sure why folks are not more aware of this option, hope it helps. The information above will not be needed for you to do the upgrade install. However, you should check to see if your scsi emulation is supported first.

FYI..Just did a reinstall of Win 7 for client after Trojan damage.. Had to leave the PC checking for windows updates all night before the list showed up. This was a week ago. I had tried rebooting and trying different things I read online to no avail. Just letting it sit for 10+ hours did the trick.

There is a patch available that usually works anywhere from 5 minutes to about an hour or so. That must have been some pretty nasty damage to have to redo from scratch.

There is a patch available that usually works anywhere from 5 minutes to about an hour or so. That must have been some pretty nasty damage to have to redo from scratch.
Yea. I haven't had to reinstall windows from virus damage in years and years. This was no regular infection though. I got a call from client who said he was infected and wanted to ask me about giving the guy he had on phone from Microsoft my email address or something. I asked client where he got the number from MS and he said off the pop-up on his screen. Needless to say, I already know you cant just call MS. They call you. This son of a bitch was remoted into the rig via LogMeIn crap. I screamed into phone to hang up and yank the Ethernet cable out of back.

The system seemed repaired, so I let it go out the door but a month later client bought a USB 3 backup drive and couldn't get it working. After messing with it for a few hours because of pride I then wiped it.

Shitloads of people slamming MS for the upgrade at the last minute would be my thought ...

I used the easy method just five minutes ago. Installed Win10 from USB (downloaded an .iso some time ago) to an old empty HDD, entered an old Win7 key, made sure it was activated and then disconnected it and put the HDD in a closet. Posting from Win8.1 just like before but now have free Win10 just in case. :)

I downloaded the July "rollup" update from microsoft, Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64, ran it, rebooted, did updates and the win10 update popped up fast and downloaded and installed quickly. Another option if needed.

Your SCSI devices may work, I have tested my Canon microfilm scanner with a internal usb converter on my Windows 10 laptop.

Just use the media creation tool. Its probably the best way anyways, even if you aren't have issues with the update.

To update, Windows 10 did install all the way. Thanks Tiberian for getting me a list of updates that would have helped speed things along. Now I get to play with things and see what is broken. I do want to do a fresh install with the Media Creation Tool, but will need to do that later when I'm not pressed for time.

Your SCSI devices may work, I have tested my Canon microfilm scanner with a internal usb converter on my Windows 10 laptop.
Can you clarify? Do you have a SCSI to USB converter? My scanner is the CanoScan FS4000US. Using SCSI the scans are 3 times quicker than using the builtin USB connection on the scanner(I think it is 9+ minutes USB and 2.5 minutes SCSI for 14bit full 35mm coverage). I'm going to try installing the scanner tonight, and will edit this post if it works.

As long as Canon provides the drivers necessary it shouldn't be an issue - people always seem to get the support perspective backwards: it's the function of the hardware (through drivers provided by the manufacturer) to support the OS, not the other way around so in this instance it's not a Windows 10 issue really, it's whether or not Canon has provided Microsoft with proper drivers for that device to be included in the installation media (the ISO/DVD/etc) for the OS or potentially through Windows Update to be accessed and installed after the OS is up and running.

Since that appears to be a pretty "serious" scanner for professional photo work, I checked and they don't appear to have any specific drivers for Windows 10 available at this time. They do have the Windows 7 drivers so, there's a small chance those might work. I doubt you'll get any from Windows Update nor will anything directly load upon attaching the device (meaning they came with Windows 10) - Canon is one of those companies that simply don't provide drivers to Microsoft for inclusion with the OS installation media nor as part of Windows Update either (like Broadcom, Ricoh, and a few others) for licensing reasons - stupid but that's how it goes.

To be honest, I just tried 4 different browsers and it's not showing any drivers at all for that scanner so either their website is just totally borked or it's something else:

CanoScan FS4000US

If you're still stuck...
To be sure of getting the Win10 upgrade license in time, install Windows on a spare drive with nothing else plugged into the system, no other drives or peripherals.
Install motherboard drivers and do the upgrade.
It should be pretty quick.

You can handle how to convert your current Windows later or try the upgrade on your original drive immediately after.
It may not be possible to do an upgrade after the time limit. A call to MS should clear this up.

Shitloads of people slamming MS for the upgrade at the last minute would be my thought ...
The standalone Win10 upgrade assistant worked fine yesterday and the files downloaded quickly. Windows Update is a joke of a broken mess, now on 3 supported/extended support desktop OSs. Congrats on making such an impressively unsuccessful mess, MS.

If you're still stuck...
To be sure of getting the Win10 upgrade license in time, install Windows on a spare drive with nothing else plugged into the system, no other drives or peripherals.
Install motherboard drivers and do the upgrade.
It should be pretty quick.

You can handle how to convert your current Windows later or try the upgrade on your original drive immediately after.
It may not be possible to do an upgrade after the time limit. A call to MS should clear this up.

If you did not upgrade before the designated time, you are out of luck. (Except for something to do with those who are using accessibility features or something like that.) At least that is what I remember reading but, I could be wrong.

If you did not upgrade before the designated time, you are out of luck. (Except for something to do with those who are using accessibility features or something like that.) At least that is what I remember reading but, I could be wrong.
My point was to upgrade a blank installation to get the license if he cant upgrade his working windows.
Then at least he has the Win 10 license.

After that attempt the upgrade again on his working Windows in the knowledge that if he doesnt succeed, at least he has the choice of Windows 7 or 10.

Back