Windows 7 Will Not Boot - Startup Repair Not Working Either

rosco

Gawd
I am working on a computer that had some spyware on it. I believe I was able to run tdsskiller before it stopped booting.

What happens now when you turn on the computer is that I get a choice to launch startup repair or to Start Windows Normally.

Neither one works. The message I get why I try starting windows normally is:
Windows failed to start
Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

So, I boot off of my Windows 7 DVD and select repair. The first thing I noticed is that it doesn't show my Windows installation in the list. So, I selected command prompt and followed some instructions on using bootrec.exe.
/fixmbr completes fine
However, /fixboot says "the volume does not contain a recognized file system please make sure system drivers are loaded...
/scanos completes properly and shows my windows instalation at d:\Windows
/rebuildbcd identifies my os at d:\Windows and when I tell it to add it to the boot list it get this error:
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

So, going by those error messages, it almost sounds like the hard drive is dying but it just seems weird this all happened after it had that spyware on it.

It's weird is cant detect my OS in the first part of the repair process and wants me to install drivers but it obviously CAN see the hard drive as it detects my OS using bootrec AND I can browse the drive's contests in the command prompt.

Any ideas?

Is there a way to do a repair install like in XP without overwriting all the files? From what I'm reading, startup repair is supposed to be the equivalent, but it's not working for me.

Try the following command from the recovery console:
Code:
bcdedit /v

Alternately,
Code:
bcdedit /v > H:\temp.txt
will write the output to a file to H (replace H with the drive letter of the HDD or an external USB drive you might have).

Reply with the results.

Back