Windows 7, what works and what doesn't

Yea I was gonna say that. I had to do the same when the weekly Bleach episode came out. We all know WMP still sucks when it comes to subtitles, and well the whole ..mkv format..

Yup. Almost got pissed that I wouldn't be able to enjoy my Gundam 00 episodes. Never actually had to go and set the settings for MPC before since I had used a codec pack before (CCCP). But so far, WMP + MPCHC and VLC as a backup works pretty well for all my media needs.

Yup. Almost got pissed that I wouldn't be able to enjoy my Gundam 00 episodes. Never actually had to go and set the settings for MPC before since I had used a codec pack before (CCCP). But so far, WMP + MPCHC and VLC as a backup works pretty well for all my media needs.

WMP will always suck for anything besides AVI and WMV containers, that's a given. They're Microsoft's babies and will always be the preferred ones. There's been some work on creating a patch to modify WMP to get it working correctly with MKV and even OGG container files, but so far in my testing, they usually crap out at some point, but that could be the encoding itself, who knows.

I'm sticking with MPCHC for Win7 these days, plays everything without issues, I changed it to the EVR custom preset (defaults) and everything works, so far.

as I stated earlier, winavi 8.0 works unlike in Vista, also, Total Video Converter not only works, but works better than in XP, in XP it used to shut my system down for all intents and purposes, I could do nothing while files were converting, in Win7 it works flawlessly and I can actually surf the web and watch a movie while converting...

Im pleased to Announce that Photoshop CS4 64bit runs good! My master collection setup had to be run in Compatability mode, and if not it gave my FIRST BLUESCREEN for Windows 7... the system profiler must be something hard on a OS on first launch of setup. But after you set the compatability it then installs fine, and very fast i might add..

So, from what it sounds like, there is no real working virtual drive app for Windows 7 yet.
well PowerISO works, the memory leak didn't happen every time, and if it did I could just kill the process and try again.

I had a nasty memory leak, my ram usage went all the way up to 3.9gb and it started trashing the HD while other programs became unresponsive. I killed the poweriso process and it reset back to normal.

MagicDisc is my favorite but that was even worse, it would screw up the whole os to the point where I had to reboot and uninstall it or opening any driver in my computer would lock everything up.

PowerISO will release the memory if you just unmount (or remount) the image. But yeah, it appears to leak the memory of everything it's read. If I install a 6GB program from an ISO, memory usage increases by about 6GB. Still...it works in a pinch for installing programs.

Not sure if anyone else is having this problem but playing videos in YouTube stutters like crazy (with both the latest Firefox and Flash installed).

Not sure if anyone else is having this problem but playing videos in YouTube stutters like crazy (with both the latest Firefox and Flash installed).

Flash video is working fine for me in FF under Windows 7. What about IE or Chrome?

I'm still having the issue where I will delete things in any of my home directory folders, then refresh the folder the files reappear. Eventually the disappear on their own... Bizarre and slightly annoying. Has happened on my desktop with x64 and laptop with x86.

I take it this hasn't happened to anyone else...

Been playing with it on my Acer Aspire One for a few hours now, some things to mention. If I put the machine to sleep, when it wakes up my wireless card (Atheros) gets apparently "forgotten" by the OS. Interesting little quirk. It will completely disappear from Device Manager. A reboot helps each time so far...

Did you find a fix or workaround for this? I'm encountering the same annoyance on my Compal IFL90 laptop with the 64-bit version of Windows 7. Happens with the out-of-the-box driver and also with the latest 7.6.1.194 driver from Atheros.

So, from what it sounds like, there is no real working virtual drive app for Windows 7 yet.

I'm using "Virtual Clone Drive". No problems at all.

Anyone have a solution for my soundcard? Cant get it to work. XiFi Extreme Audio. (I know, it sucks, but it's better than my onbord)

There isn't anyone else having file downloading and deleting issues?

Sometimes I will download something and use it, but when I delete it (Shift+Del) then refresh the Downloads folder it reappears. Eventually disappears on its own. This has been happening on 3 different installs of 7, 64 and 32bit.

There isn't anyone else having file downloading and deleting issues?

Sometimes I will download something and use it, but when I delete it (Shift+Del) then refresh the Downloads folder it reappears. Eventually disappears on its own. This has been happening on 3 different installs of 7, 64 and 32bit.

Nope, don't have that problem. Just Shift-Del'd a whole bunch of files now, refreshed and they're gone. Using Windows 7 64bit. What hard drive are you using? Could be a slow hard drive taking it's sweet time deleting stuff.

Nope, don't have that problem. Just Shift-Del'd a whole bunch of files now, refreshed and they're gone. Using Windows 7 64bit. What hard drive are you using? Could be a slow hard drive taking it's sweet time deleting stuff.

Happens on my desktop with 64bit 7 and a Samsung F1 1TB aswell as my laptop with 32bit 7. That doesn't seem like the problem. Sometimes downloads will fail stating the I can't save things to the Downloads folder because I don't have the correct permissions... The piece of the file that did finish won't even let me delete it because of permissions. Whats worse is I can't re-download it because Firefox thinks its done so It never shows up in the FF's download manager until the temp file "disappears" eventually. I have installed 7 3 times and this happens each time. Quite annoying.

Anyone have a solution for my soundcard? Cant get it to work. XiFi Extreme Audio. (I know, it sucks, but it's better than my onbord)

I got an X-Fi working w/ Win7 x64 on an older machine... I don't remember exactly what I did to get it working, it may have been as simple as running the installer in compatibility mode for Vista and/or running as admin. I don't remember it being a major pain.... have you tried that? or does the installer crash? if the installer crashes midway, find out where the installer unpacked its files, then go to Device Manager and click Update Driver for any unknown device(s) and point it at that folder.

I can't get some of my .avi's which have divx 5.0 video to play. Not natively, not with a divx codec and not with FFDshow. They just refuse to play though I have them working in Vista and OSX.

However Windows 7 with it's built in codecs plays everything else I have, and with a few other codecs it also plays all my movies.

I'm using "Virtual Clone Drive". No problems at all.

try this driver...

Daniel K.'s driver

also...

CCC works, but I can't change my clocks in overdrive, whenever I "test clocks" it fails in about 1 second, even if I run the test at stock settings...

I guess I'm out of luck then. That's the same driver that I've already installed. This may be an issue specific to the 64-bit driver or to the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Ahh, o well. My AAO is running the 32bit version.

K9 Web Protection will not work in Win7 at this time. I just tried it a moment ago.

iTunes 64 bit installer (the Vista 64 bit link on iTunes site) just stalls about half way through installation.

So that does not work for me...

iTunes 64 bit installer (the Vista 64 bit link on iTunes site) just stalls about half way through installation.

That's odd. It installed fine for me.

Are you attempting to download the x64 version of iTunes with the 64 bit version of IE8? That's the only way I know of to get it, basically - if you hit the iTunes download page with 32 bit IE8 you'll get the 32 bit version automagically.

I've installed iTunes on about 14 different machines over the past two weeks, haven't had an issue yet - they're all running Win7 x64, btw, with 6 more running Win7 x86 and iTunes 32 bit, and it's all hunky dory so far, not one problem to report.

Well I could go on a rant about how bloated iTunes on Windows is, but I won't... :)

Worked fine for me too. Downloaded through Firefox.

[re: Wireless failing after returning from sleep or hiberate with Atheros wireless NIC...]

Ahh, o well. My AAO is running the 32bit version.

I may have found the magic fix. Device Manager --> Network adapters --> double-click on the wireless adapter --> Power Management tab --> uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. The wireless NIC has now successfully resumed from sleep three times. That's much better than the zero successes prior to changing this setting.

What apps I still need to test:
- 32bit Version of MPCHC
- Azeureus
- BF2
- Company of Heroes
- Fallout 3 (need to figure out how to use my save files from XP)
- TF2
- uTorrent
- Latest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia, not Windows Update

Ok, a bit of an update:

Punkbuster is a bitch. Installed BF2, game runs fine up until I'm kicked from the server for the same exact reason by Punkbuster every time: "Unknown Windows API Function". So no go on BF2 for me.

Fallout 3 works just fine as well as uTorrent. Not gonna try Azuereus since uTorrent meets my torrent needs at the moment. Also don't need to test 32bit Version of MPCHC since the 64bit version is working just fine.

So updated:

What apps I still need to test:
- Company of Heroes
- TF2
- Latest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia, not Windows Update
- Red Alert 3

Half-Life 2 on Steam is working fine.

VirtualDub seems to be working, but when I try to process a video, I have no MP3 options. Not sure why.

That's odd. It installed fine for me.

Are you attempting to download the x64 version of iTunes with the 64 bit version of IE8? That's the only way I know of to get it, basically - if you hit the iTunes download page with 32 bit IE8 you'll get the 32 bit version automagically.

I've installed iTunes on about 14 different machines over the past two weeks, haven't had an issue yet - they're all running Win7 x64, btw, with 6 more running Win7 x86 and iTunes 32 bit, and it's all hunky dory so far, not one problem to report.

Well I could go on a rant about how bloated iTunes on Windows is, but I won't... :)

Worked fine for me too. Downloaded through Firefox.

I just ran it in compatibility mode now and it worked.

So iTunes x64 is now on the "working" list. :)

Remember though, iTunes x64 isn't really "x64", just the installer is. Just in case anyone didn't know that... :)

Remember though, iTunes x64 isn't really "x64", just the installer is. Just in case anyone didn't know that... :)
What's the point then?

Will it offer ANY advantage over it's 32 bit counterpart then?

The installer and the necessary drivers for the iPod/iPhone is 64 bit as well, that's what the 64 bit version really entails to be honest. Would be interesting to see an actual Windows-based iTunes 64 bit client. Perhaps that would help with the relatively sluggish performance compared to the same software on OSX.

Hell, on the same machine of mine, iTunes 8 running on OSx86 runs circles around the Windows version... I think Apple intentionally cripples the performance of iTunes on Windows, I really do.

Back