Windows 7, what works and what doesn't

Just tested the newest Vista x64 drivers from NVIDIA on x64 Windows 7.

Seem to be working fine. In fact, I couldn't play COD4 on the Windows Update drivers (graphical glitches, couldn't see anything) but it played and looked great once I installed the 181.22 Vista x64 drivers.

I don't have any benchmark tests.

I just did a clean install. FSX is working as well as the usual FF3 etc already mentioned.

AS for not working, I can't get any of the Asus utilities to instal ("AI Utility Suite"). P5k-Deluxe Wifi mobo.

IE is installed, but not working well. [H] shows up blank half the time or more, no troubles with FF3 though.

I've run into an interesting issue with IE8. The forums here work fine, till I try to open a thread. It comes up with a blank white page. I can open and view all the main forums and subforums just fine. Try to open a thread, and nothing. IE isn't hung up, page has finisjed "loading", no errors.

I've hit a couple of other boards that run VBulletin, and those display correctly/fine. :confused:

I've run into an interesting issue with IE8. The forums here work fine, till I try to open a thread. It comes up with a blank white page. I can open and view all the main forums and subforums just fine. Try to open a thread, and nothing. IE isn't hung up, page has finisjed "loading", no errors.

I've hit a couple of other boards that run VBulletin, and those display correctly/fine. :confused:

It does that here to me as well sometimes, up at the top, next to the refresh/X is another double arrow thingy. Click that and it puts it in compatibility mode, works then. I think it has to do with pictures in the threads.

Larry

In x64 using Firefox or IE8 the system reboots.Switching to 32bit works fine.Hell if I know:confused:

Hell, on the same machine of mine, iTunes 8 running on OSx86 runs circles around the Windows version... I think Apple intentionally cripples the performance of iTunes on Windows, I really do.

I think around the same thing but I'll cut them mroe slack. I'll say they don't spend much time optimizing the windows client for performance. Just basically, "No show-stopping bugs? Good, Let's ship it!"

Has anyone installed iTunes 64bit and managed to remove quicktime without itunes whining about quicktime not being there?

What works: All my hardware drivers. All my software. Better peformance in games (compared to Vista).

This will be my primary OS until it expires!

Anyone get ReadyDriver to work right? I went back to Vista x64 because I got tired of hitting F8 to disable driver signing.

Anyone get ReadyDriver to work right? I went back to Vista x64 because I got tired of hitting F8 to disable driver signing.

What drivers are you using that aren't signed? I just haven't seen an unsigned driver in forever. I've gotten all of my hardware to work with Windows 7 x64 either drivers included with the install, on Windows Updated, or Vista drivers. Nothing unsigned.

What drivers are you using that aren't signed? I just haven't seen an unsigned driver in forever. I've gotten all of my hardware to work with Windows 7 x64 either drivers included with the install, on Windows Updated, or Vista drivers. Nothing unsigned.
that's not the point

Going in with a pessimistic outlook to the beta... I'm impressed.

Things work well, none of this 50 seconds to delete a 3KB text file as in vista. No lagging/scratching/whatever sound issues when doing stuff in the OS as in Vista.

Oh, and an interesting performance comparison (benchmarks can suck it)...

In Vista, no matter how low the settings, I could never dual client Warhammer Online (even on a clean install), in Windows 7... on full setting, no problems. Not a hitch.

GTA 4 loads faster, dawn of war 2 doesn't lag much.

Once there is support for daemon tools and a few other things (its a beta, duh) I'll be very happy. This may be the first microsoft operating system I'll have bought without grudging the money.

*Einstein voice*
Time will tell, sooner or later, time will tell.

sorry I meant PeerGuardian, I use tcpip.sys in Vista but there is no max half-open hack for W7 afaik and a guy on XS assures me that it's set to max already in the beta

when someone figures out ReadyDriver I'm going back to W7 since I solved my resolution/refresh rate problems

shzinit,

I've had no half-open connection problems in Win7 (I did have them in Vista), but I tested TCP-Z just for shits and giggles, and it was working perfectly on Windows 7 if you need it.

http://deepxw.blogspot.com/

I got Chrome working but it crashing from time to time randomly when I visit web pages.If I hit refresh it will work again....anyone else having this problem?

Once I set the command line parameters Chrome runs fine. But until the other browsers get tab previews working in 7I'm sticking with IE which is sucking less now.

I got Chrome working but it crashing from time to time randomly when I visit web pages.If I hit refresh it will work again....anyone else having this problem?

Even with the command line parameters I still get similar crashes from time to time. Newegg's Image slide shows seems to crash Chrome a lot on Win7 64bit in my experience.

Wow! So far I am getting work done so much faster with Win 7. Everything I had to do before with 3-4 clicks I can now do with 1. I especially love the "recent places" folder and the right clicking on icons function on the taskbar. Before I had to manually put folders that I access often on the taskbar.

i went through it and got a list of WORKING items so far (if i get time i will do what doesnt)

so far this list is only programs and games, not drivers or hardware.

if you have software that works.. please include version numbers, or any tweaks you may have needed to do to get it to work.... the more info the better!

As i get more details i will include if certain items needs tweaks and what specifically, including links, where possible, to details to get said item to work

Working (information comes from various boards and forums ([H] | OCF | XS )
(some items may need compatibility mode / run as administrator, or even registry edits to work properly)​

RED---Requires Registry Edits / direct file modifcation
ORANGE---Requires to be run as Administrator / compatibility mode
GREEN---Requires no modification to install and run

Applications
  • 7-Zip
  • Acronis True Image 11
  • Adobe CS4 Master Suite
  • Adobe CS4 Productions Suite
  • Adobe Photoshop CS3
  • Aim
  • AnyDVD
  • Avast Free Edition
  • AVG Internet Security 8.5 Beta
  • Avira AntiVir
  • CCCP Codecs Pack
  • Ccleaner
  • CPU-Z
  • CyberLink Power DVD Hi Def
  • Digsby
  • Directory Opus
  • DVD Rebuilder Pro
  • FireFox 3
  • Foobar2000 v 0.9.6
  • Foxit Reader
  • Fraps
  • Google Chrome (mixed results)
  • Hamachi
  • HandBrake
  • HWMonitor
  • IMGBurn
  • iTunes 8.0 x64
  • Juniper Network Connect 6 VPN
  • Media Monkey
  • Microsoft Office 2003
  • Microsoft Office 2007
  • Microsoft Streets & Trips 2007
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
  • mIRC
  • Mozy Backup
  • MSN Live Messenger v2009
  • MyMovies
  • MySpace IM
  • Nero 7
  • Nero 8
  • NOD32
  • Nvida Ntune
  • Opera
  • PCWizard 2008
  • PGCedit
  • Pidgeon
  • PowerISO (known memory leak)
  • QuickTime
  • Real Monitor
  • RivaTuner 2.22
  • RoboForm
  • Sam Broadcaster
  • Samurize
  • Skype 4 Beta 3+
  • SpeedFan
  • Teracopy
  • Thuderbird
  • Total Commander
  • Trillian Pro 3
  • Ultramon (mixed results)
  • Utorrent
  • Ventrilo
  • Virtual Clone CD
  • Virtual Clone Drive (requires immediate reboot to work)
  • VirtualDub
  • VLC Player
  • VMWare Workstation
  • Winamp 12
  • Winamp 5.54
  • WinAVI 8.0
  • Winrar
  • wPrime
  • Xfire
  • Yahoo Messenger 9
  • Ytunnel Pro 2.5

Games
  • AoC
  • Call of Duty 5
  • Fallout 3
  • FarCry 2
  • Flat Out: Ultimate Carnage
  • GrandTheft Auto IV (mixed results)
  • Half Life 2
  • Left 4 Dead
  • SecondLife
  • Starcraft
  • Steam
  • Team Fortress 2
  • TrackMania Nations
  • Unreal Tournament 3
  • World Of Wracraft

Hardware / Drivers

Coming soon

The Witcher EE and Diablo2_LOD works but my audigy 2 keeps on buzzing after few minutes of used. I used Daniel_k and windows7 drivers but didnt help that much. 7 loads in a quarter of the time of my XP

The 13.5 Intel LAN driver package (dated [FONT=Arial,helvetica]12/23/2008[/FONT]
spacer.gif
) won't install, even in Vista compatibility mode.

will update the mian thread tomorrow, been a semi "annoying week" havent been able to sit up for long periods with out my face swelling up, but it has calmed down alot.

my zune software doesnt work.. when i open it, it says the zune software has stopped .. tried uninstalling and reinstallign and same thing..

Running Win7 x64 build 7000. In the OS itself I can test all my speakers fine, but in HL2 the game reverts to 2 speakers as soon as I close the settings, and in UT3 the game only outputs 2.1 sound, if I check Hardware A&L it instantly freezes the entire system.

• CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem
  • RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel
  • Graphics: BFG Tech BFGEGTX2951792E GeForce GTX 295 1792MB
  • Storage: G.SKILL FM-25S2S-64GB 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD)
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58
  • Sound: Realtek ALC889A 8 Channels(On Board)
  • Power Supply: ZALMAN ZM850-HP 850W

ugh this zune problem sucks i wanna upload some new songs

Sorry to here that, I have the Zune software working on both x64 and x86 Windows 7 machines and it working just fine. I wonder if your having a video driver issue.

just tried new vid drivers ,.. nothing changed.. tried uninstalling zune, reinstalling under vista comp, run as administrator etc.. nothing.. still "Zune has stopped working" when i launch it. I wonder if i do a repair install of 7 that might help...

My Win7 install stopped working last night. I shut down the computer for a couple hours and when I booted back up it would get to the log in screen and let me log in, but after that it just sits there with a black screen. I can hit ctrl-alt-del and get the task manager up and start any program I want (Firefox, Adobe Reader, etc) except explorer.exe,

EDIT: Got it fixed, I think. Ran sfc /scannow from an elevated cmd prompt and it's all good now.

Anyone else getting a BSOD when using Windows Photo Viewer?? Everytime I start going through images that I've downloaded off my camera and I'm opening them one at a time to view them it will just hangup and if I try to close out of WPV it will give me a BSOD that states:

The video scheduler has encountered an unexpected fatal error.

What is the video scheduler related to? Is it due to my graphics card or drivers?

I Googled and this guy here is having the same issue as me with Window 7.

http://forum.egypt.com/enforum/windows-f135/windows-7-bsod-0x119-26860.html

We have pretty much the same hardware specs as well.

Anyone know how to make gadgets open? I did that "AllowElevatedProcess" reg trick and it helped to at least open my list of gadgets but when I try and open a Gadget it will not open at all or even attempt too. Any ideas? TIA

Anyone know how to make gadgets open? I did that "AllowElevatedProcess" reg trick and it helped to at least open my list of gadgets but when I try and open a Gadget it will not open at all or even attempt too. Any ideas? TIA

Turn on UAC?

Back