Windows 7 went back in time?!

DTN107

Supreme [H]ardness
So something strange just happen while I was in class.

I install Windows 7 Pro yesterday afternoon and install my programs. Play on the comp till the sun came up and then went to class.

Coming home about 12 hours later I noticed Windows 7 seems different. My theme has been set back to default, google chrome is no longer install, microsoft office is no longer install, and a few other programs are missing. It is as if my Windows 7 reverted back to a halfway point when I was installing my programs.

However some of my other programs I install are still here. Programs that I install after google chrome like X-Chat 2, and foobar.

Anyone got any explanation for this? :confused:

Sounds like system restore did it's job. Something must've happened to automatically activate system restore.

logged into a another account other than your originally created one?

Check the Remove programs, see if they are really gone (word, etc...)

Yup the programs were gone.

Damn you system restore. I know this sounds bad but I have never use it before.

I guess maybe its a sign I should tinker with it more often.

But then how are my other programs that I install after Google Chrome and Office 2007 are still here...

Strange....

Before I went to bed Windows update was nagging at me to reboot. So it did update while I was gone.

Wait, so system restore can magically decide to roll back the system all by itself with no approval from the user? That seems a bit odd.

No idea. As of now I am worry every time I come back to my desktop something is missing.

As of now I just realize all my classwork and documents are GONE!

But luckily though they were back-up on another hdd that I didn't delete yet after transferring it over to my booting hdd. My heart skip quite a number of beats and I think I lost a few years of my life.

I suspect it could do that when my display drivers can't reverting themselves. I had a 7800 GTX installed at the time and watching dvds on vlc would sometimes cause vlc to crash because my display driver got corrupted. (?!). It happend more than once, but each time it did, Windows 7 would revert back my display drivers and everything would function flawlessly again.

The strange part is that I don't know exactly what it reverted, because when I checked what version my drivers were after getting reverted, it said the same thing that it was before the system reverted the drivers.

Wait, so system restore can magically decide to roll back the system all by itself with no approval from the user?
Nor any notification. Unless there's something seriously wrong with System Restore, that shouldn't be possible. No approval and no notification it restored from a restore point? No, that just wouldn't make sense.

Back