Windows 7: V-Synch stuttering in games

daws0n

Weaksauce
Been pulling my hair for the past couple of hours trying to fix this... The problem I have is, when v-synch is enabled in a game I get a split second sutter/jerk every 2-3 seconds of motion. The jerking is rhythmic, and effects every game I have tried on Windows 7 - ranging from old titles such a NOLF2 to new games such as L4D2 and Burnout paradise. If I disable v-synch, the problem goes away, but then I get a lot of tearing...

This occurs on various driver revisions .8x series up to the .95 newest release... I have also tried every option in the n-vidia control panel to fix it... E.g thread optimisation, triple buffering, multiple/single display gpu configuration... No change whatsoever!

However, if I boot back into XP64 the problem is not longer there (I've tried replicating it using different driver revisions, settings etc...). So, it must be something to do with Windows 7, or Nvidia's driver for it. I suspect it is linked to the 59hz "bug" in Windows 7... Can anyone shred some light onto how to fix this?

Thanks,
Dawson

Specs
----
Intel i5 750
4gb RAM
GTX 260 GPU

Last edited:
try disabling Aero manually and pay your game and see what happens. Maybe Aero isn't cutting out and the overlaying 3D graphics are messing with your game.

Thanks for the advice, no joy I'm afraid...

An interesting find using L4D 2 however... When I enable the FPS counter, every 2-3 seconds the FPS goes from a steady 55-60fps up to 100s. I cannot see an exact figure as it fluctuates too quickly, but it definitley hits triple figures when the "jerk" occurs.

There is no "59Hz bug", trust me on that one.

Are you running folding at home or anything else that might be using your CPU/GPU? I see that kind of issue when running such a program. What else are you running besides the game?

Thank you Tawnos - your simple things first approach is something I've overlooked. One by one, I disabled my systray apps to see what effect they had on a game. I run nothing CPU intensive in the background, so I dismissed it as an issue.

However, the last program I checked is called "f.lux". It's very handy, as it lowers your monitor's colour temp according to the ambient daylight hours in your region (so once dusk hits, your screen becomes less bright and eaiser on the eye). Been running it on XP for months without problems, but it turns out that's what has been causing this all along!

Back