Windows 7 using AERO for this system?

msny

2[H]4U
Shuttle box in sig has a GeForce 7900 GT/GTO, 256 card and
Athlon 64 - 2.4, 2gigs memory.

Running Windows XP, Windows 7 advisor says the GeForce card will NOT run Aero.

Aero requirements are 1gig processor, 2megs mem and a video card of 128 so...

Is Windows 7 Advisor wrong?

This is my wifes computer, not a game machine by any means.

It will definitely run Aero, I'm absolutely positive. it sounds just like an issue with it not properly detecting things. Have you made sure to download and install the latest W7 Nvidia drivers?

There should not be any issue with that running Aero. I was running it for a long time on 7800GTs.

7800 family is WDDM compatible, don't worry about it. Most likely, the windows upgrade advisor was complaining about the XDDM driver running on it.

Thanks guys, I though so, but wanted to check the PROs...you....

Shuttle box in sig has a GeForce 7900 GT/GTO, 256 card and
Athlon 64 - 2.4, 2gigs memory.

Running Windows XP, Windows 7 advisor says the GeForce card will NOT run Aero.

Aero requirements are 1gig processor, 2megs mem and a video card of 128 so...

Is Windows 7 Advisor wrong?

This is my wifes computer, not a game machine by any means.
There was a post a day or two ago with basically the same issue. Just run the Vista adviser and check that. The requirements are the same.

Aero requires a DX9 compliant card, and that 7900 is most assuredly a DX9 capable device. Those "advisors" are notoriously wrong more often than not so it's not an issue.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x86 installed on a Toshiba Tablet PC that's nearly 7 years old now, with an old GeForce FX Go5200 with 32MB of video RAM and I found some Vista drivers that work great on it, and Aero works just fine - so much for that "128MB required" thing. Pishaw...

It may put things in basic upon first boot up, just change it to the windows 7 Aero theme if that happens.

I was running XP and the Upgrade Advisor told me that my GTX 260 was unable to run Aero too....go figure. Aero works fine for me too! :D

Most cards that support DirectX9 will work with Aero. The Geforce FX 5xxx series has some issues though

I was running XP and the Upgrade Advisor told me that my GTX 260 was unable to run Aero too....go figure. Aero works fine for me too! :D

You really should upgrade to at least an SLI setup before trying to run Aero. It really is demanding. :p

I have two older systems using a 7600 GT and a 7900 GS, and both run Aero just fine. I'm wondering if it was an out-dated driver that led to the incorrect info.

I have two older systems using a 7600 GT and a 7900 GS, and both run Aero just fine. I'm wondering if it was an out-dated driver that led to the incorrect info.

Nope.

I updated the drivers before I ran the advisor.

Anything from the GeForce FX 5200 and the ATI 9500 series and everything that has been created since is an Aero compatible card, realistically. Those were the first DirectX 9 capable cards, and that is the primary requirement for Aero: a fully DirectX 9 compliant card, which effectively every video card for the past 7-8 years has been and is. For onboard graphics it's roughly the same, from the GeForce Go FX5200 (which I have in a Toshiba tablet from 2004, 32MB, running Aero just fine if not a slight bit laggy) to the Mobility Radeon 9500 through the Intel GMA900 and on has supported DirectX 9 and should work with Aero without issues.

Of course, the age of the underlying hardware will have an effect on the ability of the entire machine to "use" Aero effectively. On laptops with Intel onboard graphics, the system RAM is used so slower RAM results in slower video performance, obviously. Even on dedicated video RAM if the supporting hardware is older and slower, you're going to see degradation of Aero performance and that dreaded 1.0 WEI rating for Aero...

Technically, the GMA900 does have support for Vista/Windows 7 and Aero, I guess I should clarify my statement to say "Vista/Windows 7 doesn't support the GMA900 for Aero because Intel never bothered to release drivers to make it work."

Aero requires Pixel Shader 2.0 which the GMA900 supports by spec, and it obviously uses system RAM as all GMA hardware does so that's not the limitation either, and it's a DX9 compliant part so... there's no legit reason to not be able to make Aero work fully on a GMA900 aside from Intel just never putting effort into the drivers.

It's old, that's a given, but it does have what Aero requires. The GMA950 was the better solution because Apple stepped in about the time it was on the drawing board, so to speak, and so did Microsoft because both companies had new GUIs in the pipeline (Core Image/Quartz Effects for Apple, Aero for Microsoft) so they both worked closely with Intel to provide the basic functionality both GUIs required at that time.

But the GMA900 is capable of enabling Aero, if it only had the driver support it requires. There were some drivers in the early/late beta stages of Vista's development that actually enabled Aero (meaning all the effects including "Glass") but they were yanked out at some point. They're out there floating around (search for Lakeport GMA900 Aero and you'll find 'em) and they simply don't work with Windows 7 for Aero at all...

"It's the drivers... it's always the god damned drivers..."

Last edited:
XDDM worked.

The excuse was something lame: "there isn't a 'hardware scheduler"

So no WDDM.

It worked in the Beta/RC..

but oh well..

It's not like Intel just wanted only to sell new chipsets, anyways, lol.

Back