Windows 7 upload problem

I have a problem with Windows 7 which I've had since beta build 7000. I'm using the retail version right now and it's still happening. Whenever I try to upload something to a website, the progress bar will fill up almost instantly and my ESET Smart Security firewall will say that I uploaded at several megabytes per second. My upload speed is 35 KB/s, however. The upload will eventually finish, but the progress bar doesn't work. My problem is that I'm unable to upload files over 100 MB. If I try to do so, the upload will stay stuck.

I did not have this problem in Windows Vista or XP.

Have you made these attempts with a variety of browsers, or just IE, or...? Wouldn't hurt to uninstall (not just disable) ESS for a period of time, do some testing, then re-enable it or just dump it in favor of better software these days (Microsoft Security Essentials trounces it, and it's free).

lever: what kind of protocal are you uploading via:

FTP
Flash uploader
HTML based script (javascript, mostly).

I've tried IE7, IE8, Firefox 3.x, and Chrome.

I've uploaded via Flash, HTML, and Java. The only uploader I've used so far that properly shows me my progress is Sendspace.

I'll go uninstall ESS and see if that works.

Update: WOW. I can't believe it. I've had this problem for the past 10 months and have tried everything EXCEPT uninstalling ESET Smart Security. Uninstalling it fixed the problem. Thanks!

Last edited:
Now the question is: what are you going to replace it with?

So far, since Microsoft Security Essentials first appeared in a public form (ok, not totally public but once it was out there, it was out there), and now that it's been finalized and is intended to be a free product from here on out, it has turned out to be the AV/malware protection app of choice for those will to give it a go.

I've always said nobody knows more about Windows than Microsoft itself so, if there were someone out there that could possibly create AV or malware protection that works the best, it would be them. Took 'em years to finally get around to it, but so far so good.

Highly recommended...

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

i have an issue, not sure if it is the same but it also involves the progree bar being stuck it seems.

When transfering files to my USB key, a kingston 8G, i copy a file and the progress bar just stop mid way sometimes, if i unplug the usb key, plug it back in. the file is shown as copied and works.

This only happens though when the key is formated as NTFS, but not as FAT32.

Back