Windows 7 Upgrade vs. Full Version: Clean Install???

Kusaywa

Weaksauce
Thinking about investing in this upgrade deal but one thing has me confused. If you go here: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102?WT.mc_id=msccomhpfeature_win7
It pretty much says in order to install Windows 7 Upgrade, you have to back up your files, do a clean install, and reinstall your programs. At least on XP anyway. With Vista you have the option of a "true" upgrade or you can back up and do a clean install also. Correct me if I'm wrong, but how is this an upgrade? Then I might ask, what's the difference between the upgrade and full versions? I know I tried to install XP Home Upgrade from a clean install once, and it asked to insert the disc from my previous operating system. Is this the case? Is the upgrade the same as the full, I'll just need to insert my XP or Vista disc during installation? THANKS

Upgrade here is referring to pricing. A discount because you have a previous qualifying version of WIndows.

As for doing a clean install I think that is the better way to go anyway. You don't have to reformat so you can leave your data, just like reinstalling Windows, but with a newer version.

Coming from XP you will probably need to insert your CD or it will need to see your old Windows install (even though it will be ignoring it), though I can't say for sure which since I pretty much always do clean installs.

As for the difference, a full version assumes you have nothing and costs more whereas an upgrade assumes you have a version of Windows already and is cheaper because of that.

The Upgrade is upgrading the license from one OS to another. Both Full and Upgrade versions come with the ability to do a clean install.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how is this an upgrade? Then I might ask, what's the difference between the upgrade and full versions?

The 'difference' exists only in the install key code, and what that code will 'enable' when the installer is launched. The install disks themselves are identical in every respect other than the disk label, but the install key codes provided with them come from different 'allowable ranges'.

If you've purchased an 'Upgrade' license then the install key provided will only 'work' in a limited number of ways:

• You can boot from the install disk and run the install WITHOUT entering an install code, to deploy a 30-day time-limited 'trial' install of whatever version you choose.
  • You can boot from the install disk and perform either an Upgrade Install or a 'Custom' clean install using the provided install key code, but ONLY if a 'qualifying Windows version' is already present installed on the rig.
  • You can pop the disk in the drive from WITHIN a 'qualifying' Windows version install, and run the Upgrade of Custom Clean install from there.

Bear in mind, though, that the installer is only checking for an 'allowable upgrade path', so it's really only checking to see that you're:

• Not trying to to upgrade the license from too old a Windows version.
  • Not trying to run an upgrade over an incompatible version, such as x86 -> x64 or Professional -> Home or somesuch. If the upgrade 'path' has incompatibilities, only the 'Custom Clean' option will be given, and the Upgrade install option will be greyed out and unavailable.

I know I tried to install XP Home Upgrade from a clean install once, and it asked to insert the disc from my previous operating system. Is this the case? Is the upgrade the same as the full, I'll just need to insert my XP or Vista disc during installation? THANKS

Vista and beyond changed that. Rather than popping a disk in the drive during the install, you gotta have an install in place before you begin the newer version install.

But bear in mind that it's only checking for a 'permissible upgrade path' and not checking the validity of your previous license, so that previous install doesn't even need to be activated even. And it doesn't need to be an 'earlier' version either. You can 'upgrade' install Windows over the top of itself and that's a 'permissible upgrade path'.

So, just as was the case with Vista, it's perfectly possible to boot from the Upgrade License disk and run out a 'trial install' of the version you've paid for, without entering the keycode, and then run the install again from Explorer after you initially arrive at the Desktop, this time using the install code to get a fully working install.

Legally you are obligated to be declaring a previous qualifying license void, but in practical terms you don't actually even have to go look for the old version install disk.

Upgrade Install in Vista/Windows 7 is the same thing as a clean install in XP now.

Whereas XP largely just tried to literally update what you had, Vista took it and what it did it took a cache of your applications and data, then set them aside. It then installed Vista on your machine, then ported the apps and data in.

Whereas upgrading XP and prior was a mess and resulted in tons of junk files, Vista and 7 don't do that.
Only reason you should do a clean install (and only reason I do it anymore) is if you just want to clean all your old crap off and selectively restore what you need.

snip
Vista and beyond changed that. Rather than popping a disk in the drive during the install, you gotta have an install in place before you begin the newer version install.
snip
Actually, they changed things back to how XP works. See this post. She basically says that if you want to perform clean install with an upgrade license, you just shove a valid XP or Vista disk in the drive when the installer prompts you. You dont have to have XP or Vista installed anymore.

^^

Yep. That too. Upgrade install for Vista and beyond is 'safe' in a way XP and earlier just can't compete with!

I still prefer the 'Custom clean' install route though, because 'selectively restore what you need' is always the most sensible course to pursue. Get rid of the stuff you've had installed and don't need or don't use anymore.

'Custom clean' install on a drive partition where the old install was, and the old install gets 'quarantined' in a windows.old folder from which you can recover any overlooked data or user files, and which you can remove later on via Disk Cleanup when you're ready to get rid of it.

Actually, they changed things back to how XP works. See this post. She basically says that if you want to perform clean install with an upgrade license, you just shove a valid XP or Vista disk in the drive when the installer prompts you. You dont have to have XP or Vista installed anymore.

Saw that the other day and I'll believe it when I actually see it happening. The information there conflicts with what I've seen from other (usually reliable) sources, and it wouldn't be the first time I've seen comment from real or self-reported Microsoft people being factually incorrect.

If it's true then it's a potentially 'even better' scenario. 'Better' only if the prompt to insert comes at the very start of the install process. Vista and Windows 7 installation is smooth because you basically set it running and then walk away. The old XP and earlier 'pop the disk in to verify' procedure stalled the install, because it kinda came half way through and sat there waiting for the verification disk before the install would complete.

^^

'Custom clean' install on a drive partition where the old install was, and the old install gets 'quarantined' in a windows.old folder from which you can recover any overlooked data or user files, and which you can remove later on via Disk Cleanup when you're ready to get rid of it.

Answer this for me if you can. I've had problems with pulling files from other backed up files from NTFS file systems. Specifically, ownership of the file. Would moving files into a "public" directory before updating scrub them of the ownership? I've had to go through lists of images and other files tediously making me an owner of the file before I could open or see it again after pulling it from Windows.old or folders copied onto storage drives.

Answer this for me if you can. I've had problems with pulling files from other backed up files from NTFS file systems. Specifically, ownership of the file. Would moving files into a "public" directory before updating scrub them of the ownership? I've had to go through lists of images and other files tediously making me an owner of the file before I could open or see it again after pulling it from Windows.old or folders copied onto storage drives.

Easiest way to deal with moving files from one Windows partition to another is either to copy them to a permission-free zone (like flash drive or external hard drive or something) or boot into a Linux Live CD and move them around.

Answered that question for people here a long time ago, yossarian:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031313326&highlight=ownership#post1031313326

Add a 'Take ownership' entry to the right-click context menu and you can alter the permissions of entire folders or drives in one 'batch' operation. Do a bit of googling and you'll find improved variants of that reg file for use under Windows 7 as well.

Another way to handle it is to simply copy/paste the contents of a folder into one created under the user account in the new install.

Best approach of all though, IMO, is to use a separate drive or partition for your data storage, and change the location setting for 'Documents', 'Pictures' etc etc to a folder on that drive/partition. After you run out a new install all you need to do is change the location(s) again in the new install to point to the location(s) where your data is stored and BINGO! It's all back again :D

I still have that right-click menu item for take ownership, but it doesn't work anymore. I'll have to try the other methods. Thanks!

Back