Windows 7 - Upgrade or Full Version

lbj.

Limp Gawd
http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

Hi guys, after clicking on this deal and proceeding to checkout that it's an "upgrade" version. What I understand is that I would need Vista/XP to use it and it would not be suitable for a fresh install on a new comp or even to use the disk for reinstalling the windows 7 that I have on other computers.

Is this correct? Thanks in advance for any help

I've been researching this and the clean install with the upgrade disk is only if you have a previous OS installed because it's all done through the registry and start menu. If you just had a newly build "virgin" PC, how would this work? You wouldn't be able to do it because you don't have access to the start menu, correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.

What you are basically doing is installing a trial version, and then "upgrading" from that Windows 7 trial to Windows 7 full version. At least that's how I interpreted it.

How do you make a trial off the upgrade version? I thought the error occurred immediately when you put in the CD regardless of an OS present or not.

^windows will run for 30 days (the trial) before nagging you to input the product key...

download the free 90 day trial of Windows 7 Enterprise edition .. and then you can "upgrade" that

I've been researching this and the clean install with the upgrade disk is only if you have a previous OS installed because it's all done through the registry and start menu. If you just had a newly build "virgin" PC, how would this work? You wouldn't be able to do it because you don't have access to the start menu, correct? Please correct me if I am wrong.

The Windows 7 disc I have is the upgrade version. I've installed it fresh onto a few brand new hard drives in the past year or so - I didn't need any sort of previous Windows version for it to work. I'm talking brand new hard drive, straight out of the box, Windows 7 upgrade disc booted from the disc drive at startup, 100% clean install.

It's worked every time without incident.

The System Builder (OEM) copy is a good compromise. It installs fresh like a full retail copy and costs about the same as an upgrade copy.

Ok so I'm planning on building a new rig soon and I can get the upgrade version for $30. So I buy that out that in my new rig, don't activate it yet but instead go through the registry and change a couple lines of code THEN redraft and then put in the product key. Wam bam I have a full version of windows 7 using just the upgrade copy?

Ok so I'm planning on building a new rig soon and I can get the upgrade version for $30. So I buy that out that in my new rig, don't activate it yet but instead go through the registry and change a couple lines of code THEN redraft and then put in the product key. Wam bam I have a full version of windows 7 using just the upgrade copy?

Hi, Maverick1337,

I doubt you'd even need to go into the registry to change anything. Just follow the steps in Option 1 of the link posted by MrsOldMX. You would only have to go into the registry if you'd get an activation error. Then, if you did get an activation error, just follow the steps in Option 3.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

The 'Upgrade' version of 7 is just an 'Upgrade' license. The disc has the entire OS on it. So yes, the method you mentioned will work. You can also install the OS. Then put the dvd back in once you reach the desktop, then run the setup again, then put the code in. Entering the CD key only works if the OS detects a previous OS installed, or you trick it. ;)

If you buy an OEM version (1 pack) will the license still work during reactivation if you change hardware? I'm hearing mixed answers.

And since it seems MS made it so easy to work-around using the Upgrade version w/o having a prior OS installed, what's the difference between Upgrade retail and OEM?

PoweredBySoy,

Short Answer: Yes.
I just changed out a (bad) motherboard on a new home built system, and have Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit OEM. The new motherboard was a different brand and chipset (went from ASuS to Gigabyte, and Nvidia to AMD.) Reinstalled Win 7, it asked for the key and it passed the verification. If it does not pass verification, a quick call and explanation to Microsoft Support should enable a workaround. (Did with a reinstall of XP Home I just did on an old laptop I have...)

Difference between Upgrade vs. OEM: Upgrade, you have to keep the older OS cd/dvd AND Key. OEM you have to buy a new item, such as a cpu, motherboard, or other hardware qualifying for OEM purchase.
IF there is no major price difference, and you are upgrading, IMHO, OEM is the better way.

Back