Windows 7 updates are blazingly fast! :)

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
No, this is not a sarcasm thread or bashing thread. Windows 7 updates are absolutely the fastest I have ever seen them since the release of Windows 7 itself, literally. I just installed a new install and the updates were found immediately, without me having to do a scan.

On my Virtual Windows 7 install, I started a scan and they were found within seconds. :) Looks like whatever they did has really fixed things up.

troll post?...I've reformatted my Windows 7 system multiple times and the last few times were ridiculously slow to the point where 'checking for updates' would never end (even after 24 hours)...I'm now using Windows 10 and haven't tried a fresh Windows 7 install in a few months so unless something changed dramatically I find this hard to believe... *I know there is a trick/teak to get the updates to load quicker but I haven't tried that method*

troll post?...I've reformatted my Windows 7 system multiple times and the last few times were ridiculously slow to the point where 'checking for updates' would never end (even after 24 hours)...I'm now using Windows 10 and haven't tried a fresh Windows 7 install in a few months so unless something changed dramatically I find this hard to believe... *I know there is a trick/teak to get the updates to load quicker but I haven't tried that method*

Well, do it again because they are the fastest I have ever experienced them now.

yeah I just redid 2 win7pro systems and all updates went quick and worked fine.
but today I'm having w10 insider update issues... :|

edit: got 10 sorted. it was a know issue by later that day and only took deleting a reg key.

Last edited:
No, this is not a sarcasm thread or bashing thread. Windows 7 updates are absolutely the fastest I have ever seen them since the release of Windows 7 itself, literally. I just installed a new install and the updates were found immediately, without me having to do a scan.

On my Virtual Windows 7 install, I started a scan and they were found within seconds. :) Looks like whatever they did has really fixed things up.

Yesterday I noticed that the update process on my Windows 7 desktop was faster, as well. The same can be said for my Windows 10 laptop although it had a couple of more updates to do than the Windows 7 desktop.

I did a fresh install of W7 today on one of my machines. It picked up all of the updates in about 30 seconds from a fresh SP2 install. Huge improvement over the previous checklist of KB's needed to get to the point where you could at least scan for new updates. They definitely fixed something.

Must be something within the past week. I did a Win 7 SP 1 install 2 weeks ago and I had to leave the 180 some updates to install overnight (that's after installing the convenience rollup, servicing stack, and June rollup)

That's because the new 'telemetry' spy updates have already scanned your computer in the background.

LOL. How do you expect the newer updates that fix update issues to be installed on a brand new, clean install?

Seriously?

Do some research - there are threads here on the H and elsewhere on how to do a W7 install clean with minimal fuss. You install 2/3 mega-packs of updates, and maybe one or two updates that specifically handle how future updates are done. After that, is easy.

You install 2/3 mega-packs of updates, and maybe one or two updates that specifically handle how future updates are done. After that, is easy.

That's laughable.
Here I am, 30 minutes in to a "Checking for updates" session and it's still chugging.
This Win7 machine is 100% up to date.

The new update roll ups are the least they could do for all the bullshit they put W7 users through in the last two years.

That's because the new 'telemetry' spy updates have already scanned your computer in the background.

Wow dude, you really know how to add to a legitimate thread there. /s I think you are lost and meant to go to the Linux forums above, glad I could help. :D

Do some research - there are threads here on the H and elsewhere on how to do a W7 install clean with minimal fuss. You install 2/3 mega-packs of updates, and maybe one or two updates that specifically handle how future updates are done. After that, is easy.

learn to read an entire post before hitting the Reply button...I stated in my post- " *I know there is a trick/teak to get the updates to load quicker but I haven't tried that method*"

Wow dude, you really know how to add to a legitimate thread there. /s I think you are lost and meant to go to the Linux forums above, glad I could help. :D

It's a fact that Microsoft pushed the telemetry features to Win7 so it's only logical to conclude that the machine has been pre-scanned if the update determines the need for updates in mere seconds.

It's a fact that Microsoft pushed the telemetry features to Win7 so it's only logical to conclude that the machine has been pre-scanned if the update determines the need for updates in mere seconds.

Yada, yada, yada, facts as I seem them, yada, yada, yada, Linux this and that, yada, yada, yada. Lets make this clear, this is not the thread you are looking for, you can go on about your business, move along, move along.

Oh, and no, it was not a fluke, coincidence or just luck, Windows 7 updates are super fast now, straight up. Good thing is, if you do not believe what I am saying, it is no skin off my back, your lose, I will benefit regardless as well as my customers.

Yada, yada, yada, facts as I seem them, yada, yada, yada, Linux this and that, yada, yada, yada. Lets make this clear, this is not the thread you are looking for, you can go on about your business, move along, move along.

Oh, and no, it was not a fluke, coincidence or just luck, Windows 7 updates are super fast now, straight up. Good thing is, if you do not believe what I am saying, it is no skin off my back, your lose, I will benefit regardless as well as my customers.

Hahaa the ultimate motive behind your posts is cleared. You're worried for your Windows based business. So you actually wish MS fucks consumers up so you can charge the customers more.

Hahaa the ultimate motive behind your posts is cleared. You're worried for your Windows based business. So you actually wish MS fucks consumers up so you can charge the customers more.

LOL! Yeah, I could not possibly have the ulterior motive of actually trying to help people, good luck with that. :D

Source?

Straight up every machine I have done for the last few days, including my own Virtual installation. No, it is not a limited test but, since I am in IT, it is easily reproducible. Different computers, different levels of update state, brand new clean installs and so on. Other IT folks where I work have produced the same results.

Straight up every machine I have done for the last few days, including my own Virtual installation. No, it is not a limited test but, since I am in IT, it is easily reproducible. Different computers, different levels of update state, brand new clean installs and so on. Other IT folks where I work have produced the same results.

I was asking Boonie since he tends to just throw around hearsay and opinions.

The telemetry updates can be ignored and not installed on 7 and 8.1. I'm sure you know that, but since it doesn't fit your narrative, you're leaving that bit out.

The telemetry updates can be ignored and not installed on 7 and 8.1. I'm sure you know that, but since it doesn't fit your narrative, you're leaving that bit out.

Yeah, he tries to grab the steering wheel, tries to yank it to derail the thread, I then proceed to open the passenger door and shove him out, all well he is screaming about telemetry and stuff. :D The only sad thing is, since this topic is not a bashing Microsoft topic, it does not make the Front page and yet, it is probably one of the most important things I have experienced in Windows 7 in quite a while. (Basically, they finally fixed it and I think people would appreciate being told about it.)

The free adware/spyware addons offered in many sites and installers can also be ignored and not installed, yet they're considered extremely offensive by the end users. Ain't that weird?

I moved both my main rigs over to Windows 10 a few months back but before that I did dozens and dozens of Windows 7 reformats...last few times were too painful and got stuck on 'checking for updates' forever so I gave up...I'm thinking about giving a fresh Windows 7 install a go tomorrow and see if ManofGod is correct

well I guess the rumors were true after all (ManofGod was correct)...I just did a Windows 7 fresh install and indeed the updates installed fine with no more endless 'checking for updates'...

I just began setting up a new W7 install.

From whatever the latest .iso from MS is, I've seen it eat nearly 3.5gb of memory just checking for updates alone and it didn't manage to actually generate a list in about a half hour. This is on a decent i5 (virtual) machine sitting on a gigabit connection.

edit: it took about 45-50 minutes and came back with about 200~ updates.
edit2: next pass was under 5 minutes to grab 70~ updates.

I used to have to just run that shit overnight, so something has definitely improved.

Last edited:
Everyday I get a list of updates that I continuously hide. It's all for microsoft office which I don't even have installed, I don't think it has found any other updates for quite some time.

Edit:
Wait, I did get one legitimate update the other day, and it was to remove the icon to update to win 10. Since then though, I've had a couple of blue screens.

These are taken from who crashed:

Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

-and-

Bug check description: This indicates that there has been a mismatch in the APC state index.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I did 2 fresh installs of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and both installed fine...I was exclusively using Windows 10 for a few months because it seemed Windows Update for Windows 7 was broken but now I'm happy that MS fixed whatever issues it was having...I'm shocked they actually fixed it...it's better to do any W7 installs now before MS breaks it again

I did 2 fresh installs of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and both installed fine...I was exclusively using Windows 10 for a few months because it seemed Windows Update for Windows 7 was broken but now I'm happy that MS fixed whatever issues it was having...I'm shocked they actually fixed it...it's better to do any W7 installs now before MS breaks it again

I'm pretty shocked too.

It was infuriatingly broken before. I basically had to pre-install a certain set of patches to at least get a glimmer of hope that the updater would be functional... and it still took obnoxiously long. I honestly want to know what the fuck it was doing for so long.

So it is sounding like MS finally got of their duffs and fixed the Windows 7 WU molasses slow updates? I feel a disturbance in the digital force and a sudden temperature drop downstairs. Digital Apocalypse in 3..2..1.. LOL

I dreaded the times a customer came in needing Windows 7 reloaded. I do have a multi-step instruction set for installing the big updates and such but if I can get away without having to do that I am happy.

I'm pretty shocked too.

It was infuriatingly broken before. I basically had to pre-install a certain set of patches to at least get a glimmer of hope that the updater would be functional... and it still took obnoxiously long. I honestly want to know what the fuck it was doing for so long.

I wonder why they fixed it...with their focus of pushing/forcing everyone to Windows 10 this seems like quite a reversal...maybe some big companies using Windows 7 got pissed off and forced MS to fix their broken Update system (in Windows 7)

This sounds very un-Microsoft like. I wonder if someone has hacked older Windows support servers and is downloading malware onto your rigs or something.

Back