Windows 7 update messed up download speed and only reports half?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by awdark, Jul 24, 2011.

1. awdark

awdark [H]ard|Gawd

I don't know what to search for on google but was there a recent windows update that screwed up the ability for windows to report the download speed in most programs?

Speed tests shows my download speeds are fine.

When I download Firefox and Jdownloader (will need to test with IE) both show a max of 150KB/sec I have a gadget that shows 300kb/s (it isn't completely accurate, it reports a little high but it gives me a relative number to work with.)
    Basically Firefox and Jdownloader are reporting roughly half my current download speed.

Near the end of a download the download speed will spike up to something like 15MB/s and finish up quickly. It was fine before but I don't know what changed and it's really bothering me that it doesn't seem like a common problem but I know it was a recent issue.

Any ideas or anyone with a similar issue?

I put it in OS because I think it is an OS issue because I see the issue in two programs.

Edit:
    Please close. I thought it had something to do with VMware then I remembered Avira kept nagging about updates. Turned off webguard and it accurately shows the numbers now. :rolleyes: Avira is so troublesome lately.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011