Windows 7 ultimate full version

MGDMN

2[H]4U
So I just went out and bought a copy of windows 7 ultimate full, for a shitload of money, under the impression that I could use it more than one pc here at the house. Upon some research I have found out that it can only be activated on one pc at a time, with a total of 5 activations. Is this true? I feel like I just got raped by microsoft if that is the case. I would have just ordered the damn system builder version had I known that I would still be limited to use on one pc by buying the full version.

/Snort
I'm sorry you feel you got burned
/Chortle
You did know that MS offered different versions of the OS though.
/Guffaw
Seems like you should have compared the versions before investing a non trivial amount of money.
/Snark
I am curious though about how you got the impression you could install it on more than one machine in the first place. :)

There is also no such thing as 'five activations limit' that I have ever heard of or know of.

But yes, Microsoft does not state or make it seem to be that Ultimate is for anymore than one license.

There is also no such thing as 'five activations limit' that I have ever heard of or know of.

But yes, Microsoft does not state or make it seem to be that Ultimate is for anymore than one license.

it might balk at activating too many times in a short period of time....never had that problem myself but i never tried to install and activate the same copy of windows 5 times in a week either

what gave you the impression that you can install on more than 1 PC at the same time?
Full Retail Version does give you the ability to install on as many PC's as you want, but you are limited to one being active at any given time.

Yeah you're screwed. Just use this as a lesson for the future to research a little more before you buy.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

it might balk at activating too many times in a short period of time....never had that problem myself but i never tried to install and activate the same copy of windows 5 times in a week either
From the information I have tested myself and from what I read online, I also put together this conclusion. Microsoft will notice a lot of activations in a short period of time, specifically on different hardware for OS activations, but if you space them out there should never be an issue.

So I just went out and bought a copy of windows 7 ultimate full, for a shitload of money, under the impression that I could use it more than one pc here at the house.
What gave you that impression? It certainly wasn't MS that did.

Sounds like a $300+ mistake. Bummer. Could have got a system builder copy of Ultimate and a family pack of Home Premium, 4 total licenses, for the same price or less.

1 license, 1 machine.

Come on, man. Microsoft's had that in their EULA since XP went retail (actually that part of the license agreement has existed ever since the first version of Windows, but wasn't enforced until Windows Product Activation was introduced back in 2001). Everyone should know this fact by now.

Look on the bright side: at least it was a $300 mistake instead of a $3000 or $30000 mistake. And you have Bitlocker, language packs, and remote desktop composition support. :p

Back