Votes: 27 61.4%
  • Upgrade to Windows 10

Votes: 17 38.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rec0d3

Limp Gawd
Is it time to upgrade? What do you think? I just browse mainly... Not so much into gaming anymore. Have a gaming rig I am considering selling because I seldom find time to play any more with new job. :'( Is all of the Windows 10 hassle over? How do you like it? Stay windows 7 or upgrade?

I don't see the point to upgrading if all you're doing is webbing it up.

Hell, you don't even need windows for that, and if you've already got a separate gaming rig I'd load up a linux flavor.

I don't see the point to upgrading if all you're doing is webbing it up.

Hell, you don't even need windows for that, and if you've already got a separate gaming rig I'd load up a linux flavor.

Nah no seperate rig. My system did not seem to like Ubuntu at all.. Not sure why.. :'(

Ah, I misunderstood. Still, I'd stick with 7 until you have a compelling reason to change. I live my life by the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" notion.

This. Make a list of what you stand to gain and what you stand to lose. I am pretty sure the lose column would be bigger going to 10. Forced updates, less privacy, bipolar options menus not knowing what they want to be (settings/Control Panel) all for what ? DX12 which you won't use and would slow down your games if you did ?

Ah, I misunderstood. Still, I'd stick with 7 until you have a compelling reason to change. I live my life by the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" notion.

Lmao I haven't heard that since serving in the military. it's been a few years hahaha.

This. Make a list of what you stand to gain and what you stand to lose. I am pretty sure the lose column would be bigger going to 10. Forced updates, less privacy, bipolar options menus not knowing what they want to be (settings/Control Panel) all for what ? DX12 which you won't use and would slow down your games if you did ?

Ya i don't play games anymore. I would have LOVED to switch to Manjaro but I received a nasty installation error which would force me to cancel installing. Tired with Manjaro, and then Ubuntu. Same thing. :'(. I loved Linux, but for some damn reason it wouldn't work. So back to Windows 7 I went.

I'm still on 7. I've put 10 in a VM a few times in the past and never liked it. I'll switch when I'm forced to, and by then all the crap people hate will have workarounds if it doesn't already.

I didn't vote, but if a large number of HardForum members who made the switch voted with at least 80% favoring Win10, then I might be willing to try it again and re-evaluate.

Last edited:
Lmao I haven't heard that since serving in the military. it's been a few years hahaha.

Ya i don't play games anymore. I would have LOVED to switch to Manjaro but I received a nasty installation error which would force me to cancel installing. Tired with Manjaro, and then Ubuntu. Same thing. :'(. I loved Linux, but for some damn reason it wouldn't work. So back to Windows 7 I went.

You may want to give Antergos a try at some point, similar to Manjaro. I'm a Linux fan now myself but I keep a 7 rig around still.

1) See thread title
2) Open thread and post something stupid
3) ?!?!?!
4) PROFIT!!!

NO, DON'T DO IT, stay with Windows 7.

Seriously, just don't.

Thank you for your service.

Back during my time in the military, the phrase was "If it ain't broke fill out form 220-B and give it a few weeks".

Thank you for your service.

Back during my time in the military, the phrase was "If it ain't broke fill out form 220-B and give it a few weeks".

Thank you for your service! When did you serve?

1) See thread title
2) Open thread and post something stupid
3) ?!?!?!
4) PROFIT!!!

NO, DON'T DO IT, stay with Windows 7.

Seriously, just don't.

I think I will. Ubuntu wouldn't work so what options do I really have, erm.

Hundreds of Linux distros to choose from. Not saying you have to go Linux but Ubuntu is just a small fish in the sea of options.

Hundreds of Linux distros to choose from. Not saying you have to go Linux but Ubuntu is just a small fish in the sea of options.

oh I know Simmonz, I am a huge fan of DistroWatch.com, however, a few wouldn't work so I am widely curious of the issue. I will post the error message soon.

oh I know Simmonz, I am a huge fan of DistroWatch.com, however, a few wouldn't work so I am widely curious of the issue. I will post the error message soon.

I'd be interested to see the error message. Very interesting as it's not often the whole installer simply stops. :)

Is it time to upgrade? What do you think? I just browse mainly... Not so much into gaming anymore. Have a gaming rig I am considering selling because I seldom find time to play any more with new job. :'( Is all of the Windows 10 hassle over? How do you like it? Stay windows 7 or upgrade?

Try it, see if you like it, if you do not, roll back. Definitely worth it, in my opinion.

Win 10 definitely has its perks, but those perks largely depends on:

1. Do you use multiple monitor with different PPI? If not, that's monitor specific DPI scaling useless.
2. Do you know your way around windows 10 to remove all the "in your face" "features?
3. Do you have any games that you absolutely must play on DX12? Be it Gears of War or other games with DX12 that you simply must play on DX12?

If windows 7 still suits your needs, I'd stick to 7 until its EoL.

I am using Win 10 due to 1 and 3, but 3 is now becoming less of a concern because I didn't anticipate just how short the GoW SP campaigns were.

Thank you for your service! When did you serve?

You have multiple other distros as options naturally. What sort of problem did you encountry when trying and how long ago did you try it?

You have multiple other distros as options naturally. What sort of problem did you encountry when trying and how long ago did you try it?

Only tried it two days ago, Mint seems to be working just fine. I love it, and I have missed Mint greatly. The error was an installation error.

I updated from 7 to 10 about a year ago. I gave MS about a year to get things ironed out before moving up. My motherboard wasn't even approved for the update (X58), but MS kept pushing it on me, and I thought I would be future proofing-compatability wise. The update was seamless, I had a little bit of a glitch with the first update, but it was minor and corrected with a little web searching. Since then it has been great, the system seems smoother and faster. I had my doubts the first month, and almost went back, but I found out that I had gone beyond the time limit allowed, and going back would be a pain. So I stuck with it, and I got to like it. It seems smoother and faster than W7. I wouldn't go back now.

Manjaro and all arch based distros (not sure what the issue was with ubuntu) are testy during install if your hardware clock isn't running 100%.

I know it sounds silly but I have seen Manjaro and Antegros both fail when a clock battery was dying. If there error showed up right when it seemed everything was done with a "Cannot access the Hardware Clock by any known method" or something like that change the watch battery on your MB. The method the Arch installer uses to send the clock info to /dev/rtc is touchy. As I say I have seen systems where the clock is working fine and windows/any other linux distro seems to install fine... but for some reason Arch will complain, change the battery out and way it goes. Their are ways to trick it to skip the hardware clock set but I am not sure they are easy type fixes for someone new to linux. (if that is the issue anyway)

Mint is well loved though some people prefer it anyway. More and more though I'm not seeing to much difference between it and Ubuntu. Although clearly you had issues with Ubuntu. Mint still has superior third party hardware driver installation ect.

Last edited:
Stick with 7, way less hassle.
Looks better too.

Manjaro and all arch based distros (not sure what the issue was with ubuntu) are testy during install if your hardware clock isn't running 100%.

I know it sounds silly but I have seen Manjaro and Antegros both fail when a clock battery was dying. If there error showed up right when it seemed everything was done with a "Cannot access the Hardware Clock by any known method" or something like that change the watch battery on your MB. The method the Arch installer uses to send the clock info to /dev/rtc is touchy. As I say I have seen systems where the clock is working fine and windows/any other linux distro seems to install fine... but for some reason Arch will complain, change the battery out and way it goes. Their are ways to trick it to skip the hardware clock set but I am not sure they are easy type fixes for someone new to linux. (if that is the issue anyway)

Mint is well loved though some people prefer it anyway. More and more though I'm not seeing to much difference between it and Ubuntu. Although clearly you had issues with Ubuntu. Mint still has superior third party hardware driver installation ect.

It's like people don;t believe me that it failed during installation.. What reason do I have to lie? haha....

Stick with 7, way less hassle.
Looks better too.

Windows 7 in not the best looking OS but it's decent for it's simplicity compared to 8, 10.

It's like people don;t believe me that it failed during installation.. What reason do I have to lie? haha....

Not at all, it's just interesting and it would be great to see the error and try to work out what it's all about in an attempt to assist others thinking of transitioning to Linux.

Not at all, it's just interesting and it would be great to see the error and try to work out what it's all about in an attempt to assist others thinking of transitioning to Linux.

I will reinstall Manjaro and take pictures of the error during installation for other's to see. Stay tuned.

Seems there is still a Windows 10 stigma going around. Personally I've never used it. I am quite pessimistic in terms of switching to Windows 10.

I see no reason at all to be pessimistic. The seeming stigma going around is usually pushed by a handful of folks but, then again, that does not mean you made the wrong choice. :) I personally prefer to be optimistic and simply ignore the pessimism that goes around from time to time.

I will reinstall Manjaro and take pictures of the error during installation for other's to see. Stay tuned.

At first, I was thinking, why would you waste time doing that when everything is now working. Then I remembered the days when I used to reinstall my OS just for the fun or heck of it so, not really as much as a waste now. :) :D

At first, I was thinking, why would you waste time doing that when everything is now working. Then I remembered the days when I used to reinstall my OS just for the fun or heck of it so, not really as much as a waste now. :) :D

Its all in good fun

Dedicated gaming rig is still Windows 7. Will upgrade eventually, just can't bother to put the effort into it. Really I'm just procrastinating. I have no issues with Windows 10. My Windows 7 rig works exactly as I want it too. So why start over?

My work laptop still dual boots Windows 7, it achieves it's intended purpose so why switch?

It's like people don;t believe me that it failed during installation.. What reason do I have to lie? haha.....

I didn't suggest you didn't have an issue. I suggested that a common issue with Manjaros install is related to the clock battery. Which if your issue was something else is something else. The Hwclock can't be accessed error is a semi common one when people try Manjaro on older machines. I mentioned it because I have seen it more then once.... and its fixed by changing a battery that is starting to die. :) (the Manjaro folks are aware of the possible hwclock error on installation... its rooted in the base distro arch.)

If its something else sure post it perhaps its brand new to some of us and its always good to know about.... if nothing else we can ensure the proper Manjaro people know about it so they can reproduce and fix it. ;)

I updated from 7 to 10 about a year ago. I gave MS about a year to get things ironed out before moving up. My motherboard wasn't even approved for the update (X58), but MS kept pushing it on me, and I thought I would be future proofing-compatability wise. The update was seamless, I had a little bit of a glitch with the first update, but it was minor and corrected with a little web searching. Since then it has been great, the system seems smoother and faster. I had my doubts the first month, and almost went back, but I found out that I had gone beyond the time limit allowed, and going back would be a pain. So I stuck with it, and I got to like it. It seems smoother and faster than W7. I wouldn't go back now.

If you don't mind losing control of your computer and getting spied, W10 just works.

Spied on, do you get on the internet without a VPN thats the problem. Not running an OS. Sure windows has their controlling bullshit but I'm more concerned what google is doing with my data.

I've said this a thousand times (here and at many other forums online): there is no privacy anymore, there is no real security anymore. If you're putting your faith in some VPN service to "protect you from spying or snooping" you're misunderstanding the true nature of what VPNs lack in terms of actual security. Signing up for a VPN? You're outed in the payment process. You think you've chosen some "7 proxies" bullshit anonymous payment type thing? Nope, it can and will be tracked back to you. Think you can convert cash to Bitcoin or something anonymously and get a VPN? Nope, some three letter agency knows all the tricks behind that shit these days.

Actually get a VPN up and running? Great, now... if you go do ANYTHING that you've ever done from the same computer you're outed, instantly. If you get a VPN service of some kind you can't connect to it from any device you've ever used to connect to anything EVER, regardless of IP masking/MAC changing, etc, because if you do your identity can and will be tracked right back to you, encryption be damned. Checking email accounts that have been well used but this time over the VPN? Outed. Visiting any websites with cookies or anything else (browser fingerprinting is very easy these days) that you've visited before? Outed.

And so on and so on ad nauseum.

And other OSes, doesn't matter, there is no privacy and no security, it's all known these days, none of them are truly any more secure than any other but the focus on the operating system is entirely misplaced to begin with: the real security risk is the networking itself, aka the Internet, or whatever else you happen to use 'cause that shit is compromised and has been since day one back in mid-1992 when ARPA surrendered control of the "public Internet" to Internic and other agencies.

But anyway, use whatever the hell you want, as for spying, everything does it and your OS is irrelevant in the big picture because it's all done over networks which we all use to retrieve and send the data we're all working with 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back