Windows 7 To Be Named Windows 7

The code name was Vienna. Windows 7.0 was the version, and now is the name. :p

(2^3 - 1) = 7

7 is prime

That makes it a Mersenne Prime!!! OMG IT'S A CONSPIRACY!??!

So, I've used Windows 1, 2,3,3.1,3.11, 95, 2000, XP, couldn't run Vista and now they're moving on to 7?

I'm behind.

I don't think this has been posted already but think of the Mac ads about Windows 7.

"OS TEN! Three better than Windows 7!"

Ok, wait... how did they get to Windows 7 as the version number?

If I were to guess based on experience, I'd say Windows 3.1, 95,98,ME,XP, Vista.

But.. that doesn't include NT4/2000/2K3 etc., and leaves out Windows 1 and 2 (not that I've used them). So.. how does that work?

Ok, wait... how did they get to Windows 7 as the version number?

If I were to guess based on experience, I'd say Windows 3.1, 95,98,ME,XP, Vista.

But.. that doesn't include NT4/2000/2K3 etc., and leaves out Windows 1 and 2 (not that I've used them). So.. how does that work?

The 9x line ended with ME. The current line is NT.

Windows 1, 2, 3 (3.1, 3.11), NT 4.0, NT 5 (2000, 5.1 (XP)), NT 6 (Vista), Windows 7!

For us who keeps up with computers developement, its simple and elegant

However, I'm not too sure the same can be said for a majority of laymen around the world out there, whom mostly may still be using Windows XP.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone gets confused and ask "so which is newer? Vista or this um.. windows 7" (I'm talking about the majority of people out there who do not update themself with computer tech news. Many adults I've encounter still have no idea what a dual core is and what it's significant although those CPU now comes in their Dell or Compaq PC they purchase

so windows 7 is good for a cool new wordpad and scientific calculator? and you lose windows mail? everything else i read about the new windows seems like a snorefest. cooler, better ui it seems, more refined os, but really its vista. nothing too special at all...

Isn't the next version of Windows supposed to be the last 32-bit release?

lol they should call the Windows after 7 "Windows 64".
or how 'bout just "W64"
:D

i like it. windows 7 sounds very original. vista was just..a nono XP was a good name now.

Here are some more off the top of my head:

Windows NT 7.0
Windows for Workgroups (maybe the "Home edition" of the next iteration) 7.0/.1/.11
Windows 7.0 /386
Windows 7.0 /x64
System 7

Windows 7, Intel's Core i7, what else will be the 7 moniker next year...

I like numbers instead of silly names like vista, xp, me..

Ya, you go microsoft.. hope this one works out for you better then Windows 6

you know what this means?

they're officially admitting that they re-sold us Windows 95 four times over (98, 98SE, ME) and Windows 2000 twice (XP) since those two families would be considered versions 4 and 5 respectively

bastards :rolleyes:

Isn't the latest kernel version in "7" version 6.1 or something? Marketing ftw.

It would be more appropriate to call it Vista R2. Then again, people won't buy it if Vista is attached.

Isn't the latest kernel version in "7" version 6.1 or something? Marketing ftw.

It would be more appropriate to call it Vista R2. Then again, people won't buy it if Vista is attached.
Jumping to conclusions ftw. Most programmers don't start at 1.0.0 and then continue from there. If 1.0.0 was the previous RTM version, then the development for 2.0.0 would most likely start at 1.x.0, with the final version attaining 2.0.0.

you know what this means?

they're officially admitting that they re-sold us Windows 95 four times over (98, 98SE, ME) and Windows 2000 twice (XP) since those two families would be considered versions 4 and 5 respectively

bastards :rolleyes:

Win9x =! WinNT

Good I'm happy. I always thought "XP" and "Vista" sounded rather lame, and I got tired of them naming a Windows version after the year they came out in. Windows 7 sounds pretty cool, and with the release of major updates or service packs, they can update the name since it relates to the version number (just as Quake suggested on page 1). So yeah, I think this is a great move.

What thing I like is they are coding this OS specifically for dual and quad core, promising better performance overall for quad. I might actually considering buying one for my next system + Win7.

Here are some more off the top of my head:

Windows NT 7.0
Windows for Workgroups (maybe the "Home edition" of the next iteration) 7.0/.1/.11
Windows 7.0 /386
Windows 7.0 /x64
System 7

Windows 7.0 GTS
Windows 7.0 GS
Windows 7.0 GTX
Windows 7.0 Ultima GTX
System 7.0 GT

The only reason I see for Windows 7 is that it avoids the possibility of a Windows 6.66.

I think MS marketing needs to have a meeting with NVIDIA, show them how it is done....

Back