Windows 7 To Be Generally Available Oct 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
im using the beta build 7068, but im having standby and hibernate issues, where the computer will immediately wake up after powering down. Has anyone heard of this before, or has the been addressed by microsoft?

my original point? not all Windows pirates are assholes, some are just undereducated, young, and/or poor.
my other point? copyright infringement is not theft.

i consider it under the same category as plagiarism. it doesnt make it any prettier then theft though...

piracyistheft.jpg

Always get a kick outta that one... :p

you could consider the sky purple if you wanted to. doesn't make it true, however.

However, theft is a type of stealing, so is fraud, so is piracy. They all interrelate and it becomes semantics then.

They are all apart of a major category of stealing.

Even a Thesaurus uses them interchangably.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/theft

I'm sorry, just because you believe copying something without the permission isn't stealing, doesn't make you correct. Everyone else in the world knows it true and you can't accept it.

Now, this is calling the kettle black as I used to pirate, but after taking a step into the music industry, I can honestly say, 'I GET IT'

However, theft is a type of stealing, so is fraud, so is piracy. They all interrelate and it becomes semantics then.

They are all apart of a major category of stealing.

Even a Thesaurus uses them interchangably.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/theft
funny how you left copyright infringement out of that.
I'm sorry, just because you believe copying something without the permission isn't stealing, doesn't make you correct. Everyone else in the world knows it true and you can't accept it.

Now, this is calling the kettle black as I used to pirate, but after taking a step into the music industry, I can honestly say, 'I GET IT'
you may feel as thought it is stealing, because you are playing on the other side of the fence now, but that doesn't make your point of view any more valid than anyone else.

I can't believe you assholes are still debating whether piracy is stealing or not.

Shut this abortion of a thread down, someone....

why is the goal of so many to close discussion on a website that does nothing other then discussion?

Because anybody that tries to logically defend theft of software or intellectual property is a fucking idiot

why is the goal of so many to close discussion on a website that does nothing other then discussion?

"Discussion?"

That's not what I call it when people shout back and forth at each other repeatedly simply to see who can shout the loudest and the longest :p

Dumbass "discussions" dominate internet message boards like this one, which is why I rarely bother discussing anything seriously on them :(

my original point? not all Windows pirates are assholes, some are just undereducated, young, and/or poor.
my other point? copyright infringement is not theft.

Are you saying any of those three justify piracy? Because I don't think anything does, even if I have pirated stuff in the past myself (which I no longer do), but I wouldn't teach my kids to do it either. I'm guessing you wouldn't either, and the whole argument here is kinda moot, but maybe I'm wrong. The rest is just pointless semantics...

Oh and to add to that, I don't consider myself an asshole, but I do think stealing software was an asshole thing to do... I really didn't need it either (such as Photoshop in high school... really? etc.), and that's probably the case w/most piracy.

im using the beta build 7068, but im having standby and hibernate issues, where the computer will immediately wake up after powering down. Has anyone heard of this before, or has the been addressed by microsoft?

I believe it has been addressed. Build 7100 wakes up flawlessly for me.

On topic....Now I have to decide to buy Win 7 in October or just keep running the RC until June of next year.

Damn decision making...

Thats a good question. I will jump on the forums when I get home from work in a couple of hours to see if I can find anything out.

Bottom line is that you're getting something you didn't pay for. And you should have paid for it. End of story. I don't care if you call it stealing, or copyright infringement, or what. I don't care if you say you wouldn't buy it anyway, we know that's bull because you spent the time figuring out how to crack it or download it. Don't give me bull about it isn't a lost sale, or it's worthless, or whatever.

Take it without paying for it, when the company is asking for compensation as it their right, and you take money away from the people (like me) who sometimes write software for a living.

I disagree. I believe that personal, noncommercial use of software should not be controlled by the author of said software--or rather, that it should not be criminal to disagree with the author's rights to control their works. The internet has changed something: once you create something, it is out there. Period. I do not believe that one person should be able to keep something beautiful from the rest of society forever just because they created it. A corporation has no soul, but individual humans' lives are too short to get a bill for every bit of information they absorb. The internet is a digital library, nothing more. I am a libertarian when it comes to government, but no price can be placed on (digital copies of) the arts and information. Those are my beliefs, and I live by them.

I disagree. I believe that personal, noncommercial use of software should not be controlled by the author of said software--or rather, that it should not be criminal to disagree with the author's rights to control their works. The internet has changed something: once you create something, it is out there. Period. I do not believe that one person should be able to keep something beautiful from the rest of society forever just because they created it. A corporation has no soul, but individual humans' lives are too short to get a bill for every bit of information they absorb. The internet is a digital library, nothing more. I am a libertarian when it comes to government, but no price can be placed on (digital copies of) the arts and information. Those are my beliefs, and I live by them.

Karl Marx would have a word with you.

I'm sure if your livelihood depended on receiving just compensation for your work, such as an artist or an independent developer, you'd be changing your selfish, self-aggrandizing tune pretty quickly. The internet has definitely changed something. That something is called unjustified self-entitlement.

Spoken like someone who's never created anything of real value.

The internet is just a means of distribution. The nature of copying (even digitally), the internet's convenience, and the way in which it makes "distribution" so incredibly easy and inexpensive doesn't somehow obliterate the concept of intellectual property or the right to be compensated for your labor (intellectual or otherwise). Nor does it somehow magically create a society where innovation and production will continue apace even without the promise of reward for those who actually have talent and ambition.

You can say the words "beauty" repeatedly and wax poetic about the length of human lives. But that doesn't actually make the internet at all like a library where people are "borrowing" an returning physical piece of media, a few pieces at a time, at a relatively slow pace.

Just because the internet makes it possible to illegally distribute content doesn't necessarily make it right. Just because you really like the idea of getting something for free doesn't mean that you should. Those who think that the value of an item is set completely by its cost of production and distribution, and therefore if you can distribute it for free it is free. . . don't seem to understand how the value of things is derived outside of the mind of pseudo-intellectual college kids.

Oh, and libertarianism has nothing to do with it. Even libertarians accept the concept of intellectual property and the government's role in protecting the rights of those who create and innovate. Lest there be (much) less incentive to do either. What you're espousing isn't libertarianism, it's either anarchy or some half-baked offshoot of Marxism. But, really, it's most likely just a dressed up self-serving justification of why you should feel free to steal anything you want so long as you can do it via the internet.

Spoken like someone who's never created anything of real value.

+1. While I love free stuff, after recently spending 4 years on my Master's Thesis, I'm more accepting of things like DRM and copyright. I mean, if someone copied my data and re-hashed my work, claiming it was theirs after spending a few hours copying it, I would be PISSED. And I don't even make any money off my thesis, even if it is cited by someone.

If I go an publish my work, the same holds. It's my work, I am getting paid for the publication, and if someone copies it as their own, that sucks, and invalidates the time, energy and money I spent on it.

new question: Is the idea that anyone who creates anything of value should be compensated for every person who is able to utilize said creation a misplaced sense of entitlement? Discuss.

not really neil. if you create something valuable, and you WANT everyone to pay you something to use it, thats your right. some cases are blurry though, for me its music. cd's are advertisement in my eyes. if you can get people to buy authentic cd's, great. but artists really shouldn't be entitled to make an album and sit on that work for the rest of their life. in the music scene- if you want to get paid, you should play. i always spend 10x more money at concerts then i do buying albums anyway.

not really neil. if you create something valuable, and you WANT everyone to pay you something to use it, thats your right. some cases are blurry though, for me its music. cd's are advertisement in my eyes. if you can get people to buy authentic cd's, great. but artists really shouldn't be entitled to make an album and sit on that work for the rest of their life. in the music scene- if you want to get paid, you should play. i always spend 10x more money at concerts then i do buying albums anyway.
but is there a difference between wanting success in retail (or whatever you want to call it), and wanting 100% success? Even the most successful retail chains have what they deem as acceptable losses(theft, damage, etc.). What is the acceptable limit for greed? Or is there no limit for greed, and Gordon Gecko was right?

thats pretty much it. but if youre arguing on topic, microsoft has 'set' losses they consider ok too. piracy is a huge margin of their losses, and so are freebies.. if were staying off-topic then i agree, the riaa or mpaa believe there should not only be zero profit loss, they expect people to pay more then what they ask (ie, your dvd is worn out from shitty players? buy a new dvd)

Even the most successful retail chains have what they deem as acceptable losses(theft, damage, etc.).

That loss is built into their business model though. They end up charging more on average for their goods to compensate for those losses. I wouldn't consider it "acceptable" loses, it's more like expected losses.

What is the acceptable limit for greed? Or is there no limit for greed, and Gordon Gecko was right?

How is the expectation of compensation for your work "greed"? Would you work extra hours at your job for free? Afterall you've already made enough money from your normal salary. Is that greed as well?

How is the expectation of compensation for your work "greed"? Would you work extra hours at your job for free? Afterall you've already made enough money from your normal salary. Is that greed as well?

no but from the other side of things, there's a lot of people who think its ok to take sick days when they dont need them, show up late for work... post on hardocp while work needs to be done... etc :D

Microsoft is a poor example in this argument, because they would rather have you pirate their software than use a competitor's.

A 72xx build of Windows 7 aka RC2 is floating around, wonder if its a legit build since RC2 was suppose to be public internal. Plus I've heard about some problems with the lateest RC build having some bugs and problems. Mind you there was an original Windows 7 RC that was really a malware latent bomb on torrent sites and the RTM should be out according to rumors July 7th. Again RC2 was not suppose to be public, but is possibly on torrent sites now.

The internet is just a means of distribution. The nature of copying (even digitally), the internet's convenience, and the way in which it makes "distribution" so incredibly easy and inexpensive doesn't somehow obliterate the concept of intellectual property or the right to be compensated for your labor (intellectual or otherwise).
The basic question content creators need to grapple with today is: my work is available for free, so how do I go about monetizing it? It's been well-demonstrated that alternative methods to selling content traditionally can work and can in fact be highly profitable despite rampant piracy. Rather than content creators fighting on the front of attempting to control or minimize losses due to the freedom of information, they can evolve (and perhaps be better off in doing so).

Content creators simply must come to the realization that the old models are no longer as viable as they once were. Rather than sitting on the sidelines and complaining about the ramifications of piracy, they can react.

That loss is built into their business model though. They end up charging more on average for their goods to compensate for those losses. I wouldn't consider it "acceptable" loses, it's more like expected losses.
when it comes to a business, though, is there a real distinction between "expected" and "acceptable"?

most of us on salary actually do work extra hours for free.

Content creators simply must come to the realization that the old models are no longer as viable as they once were. Rather than sitting on the sidelines and complaining about the ramifications of piracy, they can react.

And we'll only agree with these new models if it meets our specific agendas and fulfill our personal motives.

no but from the other side of things, there's a lot of people who think its ok to take sick days when they dont need them, show up late for work... post on hardocp while work needs to be done... etc :D

Whoa whoa whoa there fella. You leave the [H] out of this! It's a legitimate site for work hours!

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back