Windows 7 - 'system' delay

Zxcs

[H]ard|Gawd
I usually don't post these sort of threads as Google can fix most of my problems. However, in over 7 years of overclocking I've never had a problem as weird as this. I had an unstable OC which BSOD'd me as Windows 7 was booting up which caused the problem.

It's hard to explain which is why Google isn't much use. Here's the problem:

Windows 7 boots up to the desktop fine, but there is a long (around 2min) delay until certain 'system' windows will appear. For example, if I boot up and then click on 'network and sharing center' it will take around 2min to pop-up. The same goes for anything in Administrator tools, applying settings in msconfig etc (control panel opens fine). Another peculiarity is that if I open CPU-Z the loading bar will be delayed for around 2min until it starts loading. Note that this delay only happens when I boot my computer and dissappears after the initial delay. This leads me to believe some critical system service is corrupt or being delayed.

Example:
Boot Windows. Click on network sharing, CPU-Z, event viewer etc. Long delay. All windows pop-up at once. This delay only happens when I boot the computer. If I open these programs again there is no delay. Also, if I boot my computer and leave it for 2min then click on these things, they pop up instantly.

I don't think it is an explorer problem as explorer opens folders fine. Games and other exes run fine as long as they don't have to query something from the 'system'.

I've been scratching my head over this one for a few days. Things I've tried so far:

• sfc /scannow
  • Boot with only windows services
  • Boot with no services
  • Chkdsk
  • Switch all services marked as "automatic (delayed)" to "automatic"
  • Repair from boot disk (boot from DVD-ROM)
  • Repair registry
  • Uninstall anti-virus programs and drive emulators such as Nero and Daemon Tools.
  • Update to SP1

I'm running an i7 980x on a 60gb SSD main partition with 6gb of ram. I've memtested and Prime 95'd to make sure the ram and clock is stable (currently at stock). Windows loads in about 10sec and desktop loads instantly.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be are much appreciated. Thanks.

I had the same issue, its a corrupted registry you need to do a system restore from a safe boot to the most recent restore point before the BSOD to fix it.

Also to lessen the chance of it occuring again turn off write back cache.

Last edited:
Damn. I turned off system restore about two days earlier in order to speed up my SSD. I'll have a go now though and see if there are any restore points remaining.

Thanks for the solution and tips Falcon. Unfortunately there're no restore points for me to go back to so it looks like reinstall time. I'm glad to finally find out what the problem was.

Never turn off restore points even though some SSDs tweaks say to do so. Windows restore points are your friend when something goes bad.

Back