Windows 7 - Sysprep for new Mobo/CPU

CrimsonKnight13

Lord Stabington of [H]ard|Fortress
I noticed that this dead thread has a lot of good information but it's based on XP: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772307

Will this procedure work similarly in Windows 7 for a new motherboard & CPU install? Is there an alternate method for such? I really don't feel like reinstalling the OS, Apps & Games for the time being (my current installation of 7 is working quite well).

I swapped mobo/cpu/ram/gpu and windows 7 booted up fine on my SSD with my previous windows 7 install, no reinstall, no driver sweep bs. I updated to the latest chipset/video drivers once windows booted. Not a single crash yet and it's been a month. I went from p45 to z68, so AMD -> intel chipset might be a different story.

Yeah, it's not final yet about if it will happen this month or in a few. I'll most likely be transitioning from my current config to an Intel X58/i7 combo (in order to provide a friend with a currently stable system).

I noticed that this dead thread has a lot of good information but it's based on XP: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772307

Will this procedure work similarly in Windows 7 for a new motherboard & CPU install? Is there an alternate method for such? I really don't feel like reinstalling the OS, Apps & Games for the time being (my current installation of 7 is working quite well).

It's still in 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

Last edited:
You can upgrade your motherboard without using Sysprep but it depends heavily on how far ahead your moving. If you move to a chipset where Windows 7 doesn't have the necessary drivers built in, you're going to have issues.

Also keep in mind that any drivers you install under Audit mode will not necessarily automatically stick in the next install. Intel drivers for example do not persist through sysprep if you installed them under Audit mode. You have to create an unattended file with the line to persist driver installs.

This thread makes me shudder. I mean a clean install take no more than 30 min (10 to 15 if you're installing from a flash drive) to do. Why half-ass things and take the lazy way out?

This thread makes me shudder. I mean a clean install take no more than 30 min (10 to 15 if you're installing from a flash drive) to do. Why half-ass things and take the lazy way out?

Maybe because you have a lot of apps/customizations installed and it's not 2001 anymore? Win 7 is extremely forgiving about upgrades - you should be able to drop a Win 7 install onto almost any recent motherboard without any problems.

You might experience some problems going from AMD to Intel. You should be prepared to reformat with a good backup, just in case.

I appreciate all of the insight. I'm definitely going to do a full backup beforehand anyways.

@Jon55: The main reason is due to the fact that I do have a lot of customization which is beyond aesthetics. I would prefer not to do a clean install when I'm quite satisfied with how Windows is running at the moment.

You will lose all the settings on a desktop icons and folders but all your programs will be there from what i remember. But the files will still be there you just have dig a little and you will have to reactivate windows.

It may not take long to wipe and reinstall Windows, but it takes me a whole day or more to get everything back to the way it was.

Back