Windows 7 suddenly doesnt liek new drives but still likes old ones?

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
Okay bit of an odd problem that I've never seen before.

I have a eSATA docker that I use for scanning and fixing HDDs/SSDs on.

Recently I have noticed that if I plug a new drive into the dock it doesn't detect and install. It doesnt get given a drive letter. It shows up in Drive Manager and some disk utilities but Windows wont take it. Any attempt to manually assign a drive letter just fails and says the Disk Manager view needs refreshing.

Other apps cant assign a letter either, Such as Minitool Partition Wizard.

If I plug in a older drive thats been used in the PC before, Windows detects it and gives it a letter.

If I plug the new drive into bare SATA ports on the motherboard it still doesn't detect. If I plug it in via USB still no joy.

But other old familiar drives work fine.

Also the same with USB sticks. All my old ones work but the two new ones I bought this week wont get a drive letter. The driver installs but the show up as not installed in Device Manager and Disk Manager cant give them a letter either.

Basically anything new since last Saturday wont install. But stuff that had been installed before still will install.

The machine is clean of anything nasty. As I swap drives a lot can Windows get clogged up with old drive info or something?

I tried uninstalling the SATA controller but that didn't do anything.

I've also tried using DISKPART to manually configure but even that cant do it.

Basically Windows is detecting them as a 'plugged in state' but cant go any further. If it was all drives I could understand it better. It's just new ones.

Back