Windows 7 stuck in safe mode - "please wait"

Jon8RFC

Weaksauce
I may have screwed the pooch here by doing too many things at once, but I hope y'all have some ideas. The end result is that I'm stuck in safe mode, at "Please wait...".

Windows 7 Professional x64

1) installed patch tuesday updates for 2010-08-10, postponed reboot
2) disabled the page file on one drive (6144mb on p: ) and enabled on a different physical drive just temporarily (1024mb on e: )
3) uninstalled ATI Catalyst 10.6
4) set safe mode "minimal" through boot tab in msconfig, to clear out lingering ATI components to prep for Catalyst 10.7 install
5) rebooted
6) safe mode showed an error with the windows updates, said it was reverting changes, then rebooted again
7) stuck in safe mode at "please wait...", regardless if I choose "normal" or a safe mode option, because it's already set to go into safe mode no matter what, through the boot tab in msconfig

Is there any way to get to a prompt, and what needs to be done at the prompt to enable a normal boot? I don't have a floppy drive and can't exactly connect one or pull the hard drive because my right hand and fingers are in a cast; I'm also right-handed. As far as I know, boot.ini doesn't exist in Win7, so I'm clueless where to go from here.

Any ideas on how to fix my "may as well kill multiple birds with one stone" FUBAR?

Wow, after the 10 minutes it took to type with one hand, it finally booted up successfully into safe mode...it just had to sit for a good 15 minutes. I let it sit for many minutes because I've run into a similar problem before, but t never took more than 4-5 minutes to boot.

Thanks anyway if you checked the thread!

Have you ever tried utilizing the Last Known Configuration option at the F8 Boot Menu?

Back