Windows 7 SP1 Releases to Manufacturing Today

HardOCP News

[H] News
The announcement was made today on the Windows Server blog that Windows 7 SP1 has just been sent out to OEMs and that it will also be available to the public on the 22nd of this month.

Hi I’m Michael Kleef, Senior Technical Product Manager with the Windows Server and Cloud division. Today, on behalf of the team, I’m pleased to announce the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) of Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1), along with Windows 7 SP1. SP1 will be made generally available for download on February 22.

Finally, a roll-up of security and hotfixes.

Now if only they'd make Vista SP3 and XP SP4 and Office 2007 SP2 that doesn't cause a second SP2 to appear in Windows Update along with 300mb of other Office 2007 crap, I'll be happy.

Been running the integrated SP1 for a week now, works just fine here, somewhat snappier in response (probably because it was a completely clean install, not an RTM install then SP1 installed on top of that). Could be "the placebo effect" but, I did note a small increase in performance in one of my regular benchmarks, about 9% overall so that's promising, but again, could be just because it's a clean install.

Definitely a good thing all around, however.

Been running the integrated SP1 for a week now, works just fine here, somewhat snappier in response (probably because it was a completely clean install, not an RTM install then SP1 installed on top of that). Could be "the placebo effect" but, I did note a small increase in performance in one of my regular benchmarks, about 9% overall so that's promising, but again, could be just because it's a clean install.

Definitely a good thing all around, however.

those releases that went online i heard are all not the real rtm.

You heard this from who?

Once I find someone with a Technet or MSDN sub I can compare files.

On February 16, both will be available to current customers of the Windows Volume Licensing program, as well as subscribers to Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) and TechNet.

today is the 9th

Not all of them were the real deal, but the authentic SP1 files were out there. Microsoft confirmed the build number (7601.17514.101119-1850) which is the same build that was released in the wild a few weeks back. Runs fine here on all my pc's. :D

If only I had the hardware to test RemoteFX...

Yah, well, this is the real deal. :D

therealdeal.png

After waiting this long, a few more days is nothing to get the real deal straight from MS. If you have been installing the patches as they were released, the transition will not be very dramatic anyway.

Good news. Getting a little tired of the "install updates, restart, install updates, restart, install updates, restart, install updates, restart" game every time I set up a new machine. SP1 should take care of a good deal of that.

Seems good. Did anyone else notice they added Windows 7 compatibility mode under compatibility mode? ;)

omgomgomgOMG!!! Dynamic Memory for HYPER-V!!!!!

Just like VMware has had for years... way to stay on top of things MS!

At least they have RemoteFX, which nobody else does... for a reason... filling servers full of high end graphics cards means higher power draw and higher heat! These are the two las things you want want in your data center; and all for what? Flashy graphics with remote desktop?

On February 16, both will be available to current customers of the Windows Volume Licensing program, as well as subscribers to Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) and TechNet.

today is the 9th

Damn, have to wait a week.

Oh well, it'll give my internet connection time to rest before I have to redownload gigs and gigs of stuff...and figure out how to rebuild the universal 7 image again before reformatting my laptops next weekend.

I wonder if Windows 7 SP1 will fix my problem of Windows Explorer (Not Internet Explorer) locking up then saying that it has stopped functioning and needs to be restarted (Not the whole system, just Windows Explorer). I would be happy if it does! :)

omgomgomgOMG!!! Dynamic Memory for HYPER-V!!!!!

Just like VMware has had for years... way to stay on top of things MS!

At least they have RemoteFX, which nobody else does... for a reason... filling servers full of high end graphics cards means higher power draw and higher heat! These are the two las things you want want in your data center; and all for what? Flashy graphics with remote desktop?

Remote/CAD applications, rough/in-progress/working media rendering, etc? So that a corparation can go to a totally remote app infastructre can now move over those developers, and etc that they had to keep around physical instances for.

I'm pretty sure thats what its for, not for some flashy youtube surfing :eek:

The remoteFX works pretty well locally, not so much with my limited bandwidth (only 1 Mb up 10 Mb down) over the internet. It's kind of cool because my girlfriend is in medical school and wanted to use this web app called visible body 3D, which requires 3D acceleration and flash. This of coarse did not work on her ipad. Now she can remote into one of our pcs with her Ipad and it works flawlessly! :)

hopefully SP1 fixes hows explorer copies files.. I hate how windows asks do you want to overwrite/ merge and whatnot half way through the copying process. So you can just leave and have it all done..

Why doesn't it check in the beginning so that i dont have to keep on clicking shit!

Why do we have to wait? Is the public user not good enough? Is something different?

It's best that things filter down. There's been several times where things were written off as final but a major bug was reported by OEMs that sent it right back to testing.

Anyone know what the full 'new feature' list will be?

Curious to see if they've added anything to wide gamut support...

Good news. Getting a little tired of the "install updates, restart, install updates, restart, install updates, restart, install updates, restart" game every time I set up a new machine. SP1 should take care of a good deal of that.

Like installing a fresh copy of Windows Server 2003 SP2, and then having to wait while 101 updates are applied (and that's just on the 1st pass) :(

I wonder if Windows 7 SP1 will fix my problem of Windows Explorer (Not Internet Explorer) locking up then saying that it has stopped functioning and needs to be restarted (Not the whole system, just Windows Explorer). I would be happy if it does! :)

Probably not. You need to do a whole format I think.

Anyone know what the full 'new feature' list will be?

Curious to see if they've added anything to wide gamut support...

Nothing unless you have windows server. Service packs are back to what they were intended to be, cumulative updates only.

It is already leaked in Russia. It will be available in MSDN / Technet and Volume License Customers on Feb 15/16 :)

Cheers and Happy Valentine's Day

Sounds like a problem with your computer. I've never seen that problem before. Check your HD for errors or maybe do a repair install of windows.

Nothing unless you have windows server. Service packs are back to what they were intended to be, cumulative updates only.

yup XP Sp2 was the only one that really added anything. now they are back to rollups of updates and a few minor changes / additions.

Sounds like a problem with your computer. I've never seen that problem before. Check your HD for errors or maybe do a repair install of windows.

yup XP Sp2 was the only one that really added anything. now they are back to rollups of updates and a few minor changes / additions.

I did a repair. My drive is also fine. Passes all tests. Only happens once in a while when it could probably use a reboot instead. Weird I say! :D

I personally don't think Windows 7 needs a service pack, but I guess there's always bugs to fix.

I personally don't think Windows 7 needs a service pack, but I guess there's always bugs to fix.

Service Pack is just a rollup of all the previous hotfixes and patches since the previous release, which in Windows 7's case was RTM when it first appeared. So... it's easier in some respects - when dealing with fresh installs - to install the actual SP1 integrated product instead of the RTM product (or whatever the previous release was) and then have to hit Windows Update and spend 10-30 minutes, perhaps even longer, installing the hotfixes and patches.

Install time for Windows 7 Pro x86 on my ThinkPad T60 @ 1.6 GHz (Core Duo) + installing all the updates from Windows Update to completion = 1 hour 5 minutes give or take a minute or two

Install time for Windows 7 Pro SP1 x86 integrated on the same machine = 14 minutes, almost exactly.

Both installs done from a USB stick, actually. That first one with all the updates takes the longest obviously, and I'm on a 50 Mbps connection too... definitely a timesaver. ;)

I think I fixed my problem with Windows Explorer locking up. I uninstalled Everest and it has not done it since! :)

Ironically, I found that in the middle of a Microsoft discussion forum.

Also, since I installed SP1 and my system boots a little bit faster. :cool:

Back