Windows 7 Sleep Mode problem

flwolf

Limp Gawd
I have a Sony Vaio F laptop that has Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and an i7 processor. When I close the lid or click on "Sleep" the computer does seem to go to sleep. The power light goes to amber. When I wake it up, I get the Vaio splash screen and then an error stating that Windows did not shut down properly. I can choose safe mode options or boot normally. If I select boot normally, the computer boots up as if I had just done a cold boot. This happens on all power profiles. Hibernation seems to work fine, but I prefer using Sleep mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I have a Sony Vaio F laptop that has Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and an i7 processor. When I close the lid or click on "Sleep" the computer does seem to go to sleep. The power light goes to amber. When I wake it up, I get the Vaio splash screen and then an error stating that Windows did not shut down properly. I can choose safe mode options or boot normally. If I select boot normally, the computer boots up as if I had just done a cold boot. This happens on all power profiles. Hibernation seems to work fine, but I prefer using Sleep mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi, flwolf,

Check this ArsTechnica article from February 12, 2010 Microsoft details Windows 7 memory leaks, hangs, freezes and the paragraph that states:

Few users realize the second issue is a bug. As described in KB958685, it affects all versions of Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7. If the user puts the notebook to sleep while its lid is still open and then afterwards closes the lid while the computer is still asleep, Windows will only display a blank screen and a mouse pointer upon wake. This continues until a key is pressed or the mouse is clicked. You can wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix (SP1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, SP2 on Vista) or you can click this: Hotfix Request.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

I figured it out. Since I have a quad core processor, I went into the boot section of msconfig and changed the number of processors from 1 to 4. That is what caused the sleep problem. It now sleeps perfectly after changing it back to 1.

Hi, flwolf,

Glad to hear you got it resolved and thanks for letting folks knows how you did it.

Chuklr

Back