Windows 7 search..not as good as XP?

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
Got an issue with a friend that is claiming Windows 7 serch doesnt find his documents like XP search could.

He has all his word docs named after the date it was typed so a document would be called -

April102009.doc

Now he says with XP if he searched for a letter to a Mr Ryan he could type in ryan and XP search in the document itself would find the right document.

He says 7 doesnt do this anymore, it only seems to search on document names not the contents.

Is this the case and are there any advanced search features as I've looked and they look a little sparse to be honest.

Or will he just have to rename all his docs like every other same person would rather than just using obscure dates as identifiers?

Windows 7 searches my .doc and .docx files just fine from the start menu.

Is this a fresh install? I think he needs to wait for it to fully index all his files.

Quite frankly, he's full of shit, or his specific search is broken. I can search obscure terms in documents haven't touched in years and if it's in My Documents folder (aka an indexed location) it comes up instantly.

Hmm ok.

Yes its a new install. The files have been moved off of old XP machines and moved onto a NAS.

The two machines accessing are new as of yesterday 7 machines.

It's been running about 24 hours.

So does indexing take a while then?

they need to be on an indexed location, a nas won't be indexed by default.

Right thats what I was thinking after I read your repsonses. I guess I need to add the NAS drives into that.

Cheers guys.

After some looking seems yo cant add NAS boxes to indexing.

Great.

I never could get it to work.

I work on a lot of files. XML, HTML, ASP, ASPX, etc. if i need to find a piece of code, i'll know the structure but not which files among the thousands. So i have to use a third party program to search through them since windows can't seem to find them.

After some looking seems yo cant add NAS boxes to indexing.

Great.

Yes you can. You need to add the NAS to your Sync Center first to make it an offline folder then you can index it.

This thread title made me lol

Windows Vista/7 search is 10x XP's in every single possible way.

Yes you can. You need to add the NAS to your Sync Center first to make it an offline folder then you can index it.

Doesnt seem to work. Just tried it with my setup and NAS.

Sync Centre says "there are no new sync partnerships that can br setup on this computer!"

Seems no one has a definite solution to this one.

Doesnt seem to work. Just tried it with my setup and NAS.

Sync Centre says "there are no new sync partnerships that can br setup on this computer!"

Seems no one has a definite solution to this one.

Did you map the NAS to your computer with a drive letter first?

Looks like you cant sync network folders unless you have the pro/ultimate versions.

Tsk, who would think folks would use a NAS box at home rather than a server in this day and age.

However, the person in question has 7 Pro so if I Sync them then they can be indexed.

Last edited:
Back