[Windows 7] - Release date and pricing?

Anthroc

Limp Gawd
Vista made me want to puke. So I took my old 32-bit XP home cd and reinstalled old reliable.

After reading various little snippets of information about W7 I'm getting kind of excited. I'm really tired of not being able to take full advantage of my Q6600, I know I can get a 64-bit version of XP but there really isn't a point.

Anyone know when this W7 will be released and what kind of pricing we'll be looking at?

About a year after the first public beta. So if that comes out next month, your looking at Q4 2009/Q1 2010. I'm sure that Microsoft would like to have it out in time for the holidays if at all possible, unlike Vista.

I must admit that I find it interesting to hear comments like "Vista made me puke." Windows 7 is not going to as big of a jump over Vista as Vista was over XP. Microsoft will no doubt fix the biggies that were unpopular in Vista like UAC, but its not going to be a big shift. Same driver model and the like.

Windows 7 is basically going to be vista with a few tweaks. I recommend going to vista as your pc is running slower than it would be on vista.

yeah but the performance hit and user unfriendliness was a big factor for me.
too many things in vista were completely illogical.
windows 7 clearly isn't a HUGE change, but this is definitely the version that I would consider a big step forward from XP.

even though the face is the same, i've read about some very opinion-shifting changes.

Here are some small changes that make W7 muhc more tantalizing, grabbed 'em from gizmodo:

- Libraries let you clump together same-type content no matter where it is on the system
- Only the visible windows use video resources now
- Application crash resiliency
- Problem Steps Recorder - reporting bugs makes sense!
- Device drivers are sandboxed and deliver all updated drivers through Windows Update

and thats just the beginning... plus the vista GUI is horrendous. W7 looks the same from far, but the functionality looks much much better

and thats just the beginning... plus the vista GUI is horrendous. W7 looks the same from far, but the functionality looks much much better

This is one I never have understood. I've always felt that Vista UI is much cleaner, XP looks like a cartoon to me, too each his own of course. You can turn off Aero so I don't really know how much that really impacts users vs being just another issue for those who don't like Vista.

The more average people I've talked to, the more I find that average people like Vista just fine. But I too am looking forward to 7. I'm hoping that there are some nice improvements to the tablet features as well.

The more average people I've talked to, the more I find that average people like Vista just fine. But I too am looking forward to 7. I'm hoping that there are some nice improvements to the tablet features as well.

Yea I have noticed that as well. One of my clients said something the other day about it because his home machine is vista business and he has been very happy with it.

Anyway OP as others have said 2010 looks like it. Only thing I've been real interested in is the windows fs instead of ntfs. Feature was suspose to be in vista and got canned.

You know you can turn off the UAC in vista right? Although i wouldn't recommend it. Have you tried vista with sp1 yet? If not you should, its much better then without sp1(more stable, etc).. and to someone who said windows 7 may be out in December of 2009... are you joking me?!!! I can't freaking wait that long!!!!!!! :eek: and yes im on vista ultimate and my sff is on vista home :D ms os = the best.. and for the pricing not sure on that.. for me, im just saving $200 for windows 7 :eek: ;) my 2 cents

You know you can turn off the UAC in vista right? Although i wouldn't recommend it. Have you tried vista with sp1 yet? If not you should, its much better then without sp1(more stable, etc).. and to someone who said windows 7 may be out in December of 2009... are you joking me?!!! I can't freaking wait that long!!!!!!! :eek: and yes im on vista ultimate and my sff is on vista home :D ms os = the best.. and for the pricing not sure on that.. for me, im just saving $200 for windows 7 :eek: ;) my 2 cents

Yea UAC can be a bitch but I agree on leaving it on if you can. We have one law office that has moved about half their systems to vista(putting it on the new machines) and they have UAC turned off because it fucks up timematters. Other then that I leave it on.

MS made the mistake of missing the Xmas sales at vista's launch, they will prob be pushing hard for the xmas of 2009 (whether they hit it or not...)

If you didn't like Vista, you won't like Windows 7.
Here are some small changes that make W7 muhc more tantalizing, grabbed 'em from gizmodo:

- Libraries let you clump together same-type content no matter where it is on the system
- Device drivers are sandboxed and deliver all updated drivers through Windows Update

Those just don't seem like the key missing features, that someone would sit down with at Vista, then within a short time of using it, claim they are the reason not to use the OS. Libraries are nice, but not OMFG this OS is Vista 10x, nice.

I think you migh be paying to much attention to Justin Long and/or people who have never used Vista. I didn't like the UI when I first used it, so I immediately switched to Classic. Within a day I went back to Aero and have used it since. Every month that passes I love this OS more and more. Besides taking more disk space (like that really matters now days), it's a drastic improvement over XP. Anyone who has used Vista for more than a day, would probably say that same thing. It's a great OS.

I'm really tired of not being able to take full advantage of my Q6600, I know I can get a 64-bit version of XP but there really isn't a point.

What about XP doesn't allow you to use your Q6600 to it's full potential? 64-bit allows you to address more RAM but has no bearing on how many cores you can use or how fast your CPU will operate.

Am I missing something here? Sorry if I'm overlooking something really obvious here.

How in the hell can you say Vista is "puke" and then say you are excited about Windows 7????!?!?!

Aren't we done with all this boo hoo Vista sucks and is slow crap yet? Didn't we go through the puberty of that one by now? A while ago?

Every post you've made in this thread has led me to believe you need to spend some time doing some readin' and learnin'. Your comments about Vista are dead wrong, and then you top it off by saying there's no point to XP x64. Bring on the fail boat pics!

Vista includes the functionality for "Libraries", it just isn't very exposed in the UI. Microsoft experimented with different ways of exposing this functionality but the beta testers found the feature confusing so it was pretty much removed from the UI, though the functionality can still be accessed.

This is the case with many of the "new" features of Windows7. They're just taking the stuff that was kind of illogical or unfinished in Vista and imprving it. Most of it is about refining the UI. That's not a bad thing, but the end result is that Windows7 is "Vista with tweaks". The UI in Vista is already significantly enhanced over the cartoon nightmare that was Windows XP so you can already get a taste of thsoe improvements by upgrading to Vista today.

As for the other features, no idea why you'd find them so important. Vista is pretty "crash resilient", as is WinXP and even Win2000. The only things that will take the entire system down are serious hardware problems causing BSODs. I never update drivers via Windows Update anyway because the drivers are always outdated with reduced functionality and no control panels. As for video resources, I've not experienced lower framerate due to Aero in any game or benchmark..If you're worried about resources, you can always change the compatibility settings of your games so Windows kicks into Basic UI mode while the game is running.

Minwin is the 'core' component, similar to the command line version of Server, as far as I know. Windows 7 is still going to be 'bloated', it's just going to perform better.

Such an original name by Microsoft, I hope it's better than previous os
cool2.gif
ecstatic.gif

I though that minwin was going to be a part of windows 7...

It's a bit hazy what MinWin is.. from what I gather, it's really more of a refactoring of the core libraries (work started with the componentisation in Vista) rather than something that you can specifically install. They are not making any major changes to the kernel in Windows 7, it's based on the Vista platform and they don't want to break compatibility.

For those/some of you who have posted.. have you even used Windows 7 yet? I've got the beta, and it (the beta) is *much* faster than vista. i know its just a beta, but it is so much faster. And, i didnt even have it as my main OS, it was in VM within ubuntu. 1g of ram, 20g hard drive,, 7600. It was much faster than vista was. I got the audio to work, internet also. It was fast, cleaner look. I think that M$ chose to make windows 7 light(er) like XP, but with the eyecandy of vista.

How in the hell can you say Vista is "puke" and then say you are excited about Windows 7????!?!?!

My friend, you have hit the heart of the matter. Why do you think this is Windows 7 and not Windows Vista SE (or whatever)? ;)

This week's TWiT podcast covers PDC with several men who were there (and as a bonus Leo interviews John Hodgman at the end!). I'm really looking forward to W7.

As an aside, are the user interfaces in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Vista that different from each other? Between 2000 and XP is merely cosmetic, Vista changes some stuff around but it's not really all that different.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the topic, but on the mention of UAC, I just thought I'd bring up the fact that QuickBooks 2007 (and probably the rest, but that's the version we use) REQUIRES UAC to be turned on in Vista.

Minwin is the 'core' component, similar to the command line version of Server, as far as I know. Windows 7 is still going to be 'bloated', it's just going to perform better.
At least most of the integrated applications are being taken out and made available with Windows Live.

At least most of the integrated applications are being taken out and made available with Windows Live.

And then people will BITCH that they have to download all their applications instead of having them right away. Mark my words on this.

I love vista, people that have problems either are using old hardware or use programs that the developers are too lazy to make proper drivers for; not vistas fault.

I don't understand how people can stand UAC though, asking for permission to do anything from installing a web browser to launching a game is insane.

Looks like MS wants to release Win7 mid 2009.

Microsoft director Doug Howe showed slides in a WinHEC presentation that all but confirmed a 2009 release -- and even earlier than expected. His slides stated that Microsoft will be releasing Windows 7 mid-year, in time to be included on the machines to be sold during the holiday buying season. Mr. Howe stated, "Definitely the holiday focus is going to be on 7."

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=13378

I hope all you Vista users are ready to upgrade to the new improved OS. You wouldn't want to be using an old outdated OS :D

Looks like MS wants to release Win7 mid 2009.

Microsoft director Doug Howe showed slides in a WinHEC presentation that all but confirmed a 2009 release -- and even earlier than expected. His slides stated that Microsoft will be releasing Windows 7 mid-year, in time to be included on the machines to be sold during the holiday buying season. Mr. Howe stated, "Definitely the holiday focus is going to be on 7."

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=13378

I hope all you Vista users are ready to upgrade to the new improved OS. You wouldn't want to be using an old outdated OS :D

I am so ready!! I just want them to release it NOW!!!! :eek: :) yes i am on vista as i said earlier but i just have the urge to upgrade :) can't wait for the beta next month!! woohoo

From what I've seen from the PDC coverage, and experienced with Build 6801, Windows 7 looks very promising. I hope they release another build to developers soon, so I can experience the full "Super Taskbar". (I'm not a developer but my uncle is, =) I get to play)

I'm looking forward to it so far. I won't upgrade on release day, but definitely within a month or two unless there's some huge problem.

http://shippingseven.blogspot.com

We know it is someone at microsoft, just not sure who. His statements and blogs have been ripped apart to be shown as quite true. One of his blogs was called "MinWin won't be in windows 7", at least not as a component you will see. The NT Kernel is already super modular, just go read his blog posts. Its just statements Microsoft has made make people believe this is some super advanced new feature ;). They're not good at spin? Come on.

There are many experienced IT professionals, even those who dissent from Vista, who say waiting for Windows 7 isn't necessarily the smart thing to do. I guess if it is a money thing only, well then sure. A lot of businesses though have software assurance, etc, so waiting for them may not be the best idea because the money on the licenses is already spent. The time and effort on the transition would be the cost involved. All the headaches of Vista's differences are going to be there in Windows 7, like application compatibility, plus undoubtedly a few new ones. Microsoft has also released a whitepaper making the case that waiting wouldn't necessarily be the best thing to do for large companies who really already own Windows Vista because of software assurance.

Honestly if the interface is what drives you crazy, I find that kind of hard to believe or no effort was made. Effort goes into customizing the look and feel of every OS. I spent just as much or more time fiddling with the way XP looked and worked as I do on a new Vista load. Most people I've seen on this forum already use theming on Windows XP, and you can (if you wanted) make Vista look just like XP with something as simple as a Window Blinds theme. I've used Window Blinds for a long time.. even before my switch to Vista. Stardock is a Microsoft partner with Microsoft Digiitally Signed files. There is no performance impact either (with none of the non-standard features), as it plugs into the same theming system Microsoft uses. Their skins can do things in addition to what Microsoft intended-- I don't think its fair to say those features wouldn't use some additional resources, but its all very minimal.

Windows 7 is bad ass. Performance is better. Loading applications, somehow, is noticeably faster. Features and UI is tweaked. Relaxed idle processes even more. Definitely a must grab and it's still got another year of perfecting.

Windows 7 is bad ass. Performance is better. Loading applications, somehow, is noticeably faster. Features and UI is tweaked. Relaxed idle processes even more. Definitely a must grab and it's still got another year of perfecting.

I haven't noticed anything different application wise. Of course, I've only had it installed for a day or so. But it's no big leap over Vista that many are expecting.

I haven't noticed anything different application wise. Of course, I've only had it installed for a day or so. But it's no big leap over Vista that many are expecting.
Is it huge? No. But it's better. If you have a slower machine you'll notice the improvement more than if you have a faster machine. But every little bit counts. Will really be able to tell once Nvidia gets SLI drivers around for it.

This is one I never have understood. I've always felt that Vista UI is much cleaner, XP looks like a cartoon to me, too each his own of course. You can turn off Aero so I don't really know how much that really impacts users vs being just another issue for those who don't like Vista.

XP fanboys are hard to understand in the first place.

It's more accurate to say "Fanboys are hard to understand, period" as the term "fanboy" can be used to describe anything or anyone. It's a matter of personal preference and choice more often than not. There are things you like that I might find utterly disgusting, and vice versa. Does that make Vista better? Of course not, because "better" in terms of judging one OS next to another is absolutely impossible to do, but people keep right on trying left and right for decades now.

The basic fact is: Windows XP is an OS, so is Vista, so is OSX, so is any given distro of Linux, or UNIX, or what have you. They allow us to interact and "use" our computers to get given tasks done, and if people would take off the "fanboy" shades, they'd hopefully be able to see all of the modern OSes on the market or planet today all end up doing the same fucking things.

It's when they use their own personal likes and dislikes that things go wrong.

The basic fact is: Windows XP is an OS, so is Vista, so is OSX, so is any given distro of Linux, or UNIX, or what have you. They allow us to interact and "use" our computers to get given tasks done, and if people would take off the "fanboy" shades, they'd hopefully be able to see all of the modern OSes on the market or planet today all end up doing the same fucking things.

There is one major difference with these OS'es. Vista, 2K8 and Win7 have software running (protected processes) that the users do not know what their exact function is nor can the user control. These OS'es are locked down by Microsoft and restrict the users control of their computer. :(

Yes, yes, yes, that's been your point of debate since before Vista even came out in general release, and to be honest, it's just as useless right now as it was then.

You're more than welcome to do whatever the hell you want with your computer, but in terms of the OS, you don't own it if you're using Windows, sorry.

The only reason people keep dredging up that point - that Windows uses closed APIs and no one outside of Redmond typically knows everything about every API or dll or process running when Windows is operational - is to instigate problems, there is no other legitimate reason to do it.

We all know Windows is a closed source OS, and we all accept it - except for some of you people out there - so move on will ya. Your ridiculous attempts at stirring up shit are getting really old. If you want absolute maniacal control over every process in your OS, run some OS that allows for such a thing, or stop wasting your time with these attempts at stirring up shit and code your own and make some money.

Seems like a better thing to do to me. Your post above has absolutely nothing substantial to contribute to the topic of this thread and proves my point about being something to instigate a problem.

" code your own and make some money."

Agreed. Instead of the constant complaints with it. Why don't the ones who have issue MAKE us a new OS to use???

Easier to complain ??

Find a Linux board or what ever writeyourown2.99.100scriptisbetterthanmicrosoftOSMACisking

You're more than welcome to do whatever the hell you want with your computer, but in terms of the OS, you don't own it if you're using Windows, sorry.

Maybe you and the rest of the Vista lemmings are willing to relinquish control of your computer to Microsoft, SecuROM or any other DRM software manufacturer, but I am not. The fact that Windows source code is closed has nothing to do with the fact that I have had the ability with debugging tools to determine exactly what code is executing on my computer running any OS except Vista and Win2K8. You may want to put your head in the sand and ignore the loss of control of your computer, but I feel it is a major departure from the open architecture of the PC industry and a threat to the future of PC industry.

Win7 is shaping up to be a much better choice than Vista. (Not ideal, but better) I'd definitely wait for it.

Back