Windows 7 re-activations - PITA

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
Having jumped in on the $29 Student Windows 7 deal back in November, I'm a fairly happy/proud (and legal) owner of Windows 7 pro 64bit.

Activated once after install, and all has been 'peachy' except for a single driver issue.

Recently, I've had to flip/flop my firewire driver from the TI driver to the 'Legacy' a couple times (for troubleshooting a audio issue) and Windows 7 prompted me to activate again.

Normally, I wouldn't have a problem... but when I typed in my key (saved in a read only notepad file), and clicked next... the activation screen just disappeared, but did not activate windows. rebooted, and same issue.

Finally gave up and activated via the automated phone system... but what a PITA.
I can deal with re-activating via internet, but having to call and read AND type in a 40+ character key is annoying.

blah. /rant.

Hmmm, sounds like the student version is similar to the OEM version. The Windows OEM version assigns a "point value" to the various hardware in your system, and should only prompt for reactivation if it sees too much hardware change (for example, if you change your processor and motherboard). Simply messing with a minor driver shouldn't have prompted reactivation, so maybe you've come across a bug or something.

Had that happen once. Activation screen popped up, when it failed, called and activated no problem. Not really that big of a deal. I do agree entering that key is annoying but luckily it doesn't seem to happen too often.

I don't see how its any more a pita than xp/vista.
Just tell the nice Indian lady/guy that you had to reformat and that its the only copy installed. Takes me on average 5 minutes and with me reinstalling every 4 months, I only have to do it about once every 12 months.

You still get someone on the phone? Last couple times I have called up it has been full voice automation and never spoke with a person.

You still get someone on the phone? Last couple times I have called up it has been full voice automation and never spoke with a person.

It used to be a nice indian lady back in the XP days but with vista and now 7 it is fully automated and cold.

Back