Windows 7 RC Is Out

HardOCP News

[H] News
It’s official, Windows 7 RC is out. Hit the link and get your download on.

Welcome to Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) testing. We're on our way to Windows 7, and if you like trying out pre-release software, now’s your chance. You get to see what's coming, and we get to see if our changes and fixes from the Beta testing are working correctly.

Server seems overloaded at the moment. All I get when I log in is a dotted circular progress bar that just keeps going around and around.

Seems ok here. It took a minute for the download manager to kick in, but I'm pulling the 64-bit version in at 1.4MB/sec.

I am getting about 6mbit download at the moment.
I am out of DVDRs guess it will have to wait till I can get to the store before I can install.

Any reason I can't use the file and settings tranfer app to save my settings? I just now got everything set up to where I like it more than my Vista install.

I've been running the 64bit version all week as my primary OS. The RC seems much better than the beta which liked to BSOD (a few times) on my system. Also, the Razer diamondback drivers work now so I can assign hotkeys. I'm going to ride this install out until the retail version drops.

200kb/sec, maxed out my wee connection.

Now I need someone to fresh install it for me. Too lazy to replace the beta... :p

Maxed out at 625 kb/sec. Started at 8:00am CDT and 61% done.

Got the 32-bit so far. Working on 64-bit. :cool: Haven't tried any Win 7 release yet, looking forward to checking it out.

1.1Mb/s and rising.

Been using both 32bit and 64bit without issues since release. Can't wait to see the improvements in RC. :)

Spiffy. Going at 750K myself. Haven't tried Win7 yet but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Looking forward to trying it.

Man I wish I had your guys connection speed. Stuck in the boonies with 3mb. Better than 56k I suppose :D

I am getting about 6mbit download at the moment.
I am out of DVDRs guess it will have to wait till I can get to the store before I can install.

Any reason I can't use the file and settings tranfer app to save my settings? I just now got everything set up to where I like it more than my Vista install.

You can install the RC as an upgrade so you don't have to wipe everything out.
1.Copy the whole image to a storage location you wish to run the upgrade from (a bootable flash drive or a directory on any partition on the machine running the pre-release build).
2.Browse to the sources directory.
3.Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor like Notepad.
4.Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7077 to 7000.
5.Save the file in place with the same name.
6.Run setup like you would normally from this modified copy of the image and the version check will be bypassed.

I got this info from the windowseven forum.

An upgrade is possible, yes, but not recommended, even by the people writing Windows 7. They ask that people do clean installs...

Getting sustained transfer rate of over 3MB a sec.

The download servers are working fine :)

There's a workaround for that that too... seems everything has a workaround nowadays. :)

Still not recommended, but possible.

(meaning an upgrade of a 64 bit beta to a 64 bit RC... not 32 bit to 64 bit, which is fairly obvious...)

even on an laptop with 1.6ghz cpu (P4 celeron M) 512mb ram 60gb hdd (hp nx6110), works well (once all the driver updates have been done from windows update, wireless was not working untill i did that) as its useing an 915 IGP no aero (needs to be an 945 or higher), norton antivirus 2009 onto it as well still runs ok, not much ram left but still works programs open when asked for, will try bit longer, see what it is like when i put more stuff on it

win7 32bit (64bit point less unless 4gb or more is installed, you use more ram if you use 64bit on 3gb or less as all programs use about 10-20% more ram when on 64bit os)

Finally got it to start downloading. Apparently Google Chrome is not working with some of Microsoft's pages.

As soon as I tried it with IE it started working.

the RC has made my 4890 stop working with cat's 9.4, worked fine with 7057 build....

I'm downloading. It was doing 124kbps on my connection when I checked.

An upgrade is possible, yes, but not recommended, even by the people writing Windows 7. They ask that people do clean installs...

The recommendation is for MS's needs, not ours. They want clean installs for final testing instead of a bunch of upgrades. I've upgraded every major build since 7000 to 7100. I upgraded 7077 to 7100, and it went as flawlessly as all previous upgrades. Runs smooth as butter, no issues or problems.

The recommendation is for MS's needs, not ours. They want clean installs for final testing instead of a bunch of upgrades. I've upgraded every major build since 7000 to 7100. I upgraded 7077 to 7100, and it went as flawlessly as all previous upgrades. Runs smooth as butter, no issues or problems.

Actually they want people to test upgrades.

The problem is that going from beta to beta to beta to RC you can end up with odd issues that you wouldn't normally encounter. Remember an upgrade is just that, an upgrade. It will leave some of the old stuff there and upgrade some of the stuff to the new. Maybe there is some dll or something that was changed between one release to the next that wasn't put into the list of files to be replaced during the upgrade. So now when you upgrade you are left with some of the older files that are still broken as opposed to the next fixed files. This can cause you to have issues that you shouldn't normally have. This causes them to try to find and fix issues that do not really exist as opposed to trying to find and fix real problems.

Actually they want people to test upgrades.

The problem is that going from beta to beta to beta to RC you can end up with odd issues that you wouldn't normally encounter. Remember an upgrade is just that, an upgrade. It will leave some of the old stuff there and upgrade some of the stuff to the new. Maybe there is some dll or something that was changed between one release to the next that wasn't put into the list of files to be replaced during the upgrade. So now when you upgrade you are left with some of the older files that are still broken as opposed to the next fixed files. This can cause you to have issues that you shouldn't normally have. This causes them to try to find and fix issues that do not really exist as opposed to trying to find and fix real problems.

Conceptually, I would agree with you. Experience with the last 2 OS's beta development would lead me to disagree with you. In fact, during the Vista beta, I found upgrading from one build to the next left me with a system that was more stable then a fresh install for some crazy reason. And Windows 7 beta to RC has been quite similar in that regard. The upgrades take a little longer then fresh installs, but most everything is already installed and waiting for me in the new upgraded build as opposed to having to reinstall it all from the get go. If it works, no reason to break it ;)

If you want to try out XP Mode go here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

For tech folks is there really any advantage "XP Mode" offers that running another VM software package doesn't? I use a lot of VMWare Workstation images for testing things within WinServer OSs - I can easily throw an XP VM on there should the need arise. (Don't really want 2 virtualization apps installed.)

I have 6-7 minutes on my RC download. 1.01 MB/s on university wireless. Not too bad.

For tech folks is there really any advantage "XP Mode" offers that running another VM software package doesn't? I use a lot of VMWare Workstation images for testing things within WinServer OSs - I can easily throw an XP VM on there should the need arise. (Don't really want 2 virtualization apps installed.)

It uses hardware virutalization instead of software and it allows you to run programs in windows 7 from the windows xp virtual machine without actually loading the virtual machine. This isn't meant for testing but is meant for those few programs that you have at a business that won't run on Vista or windows 7 and are leaving you with the option of stay with Windows XP or purchase a new software solution. This way you can leave the software solution allone and upgrade your windows install while still running that XP only software.

For the average end user, running the program from their start menu like any other program without ever seeing a virutal machine running would be far easier and less confussing than your standard old fashion virtual machine.

Back