Windows 7 Professional with Student Discount 32/64 bit Availability

LooneR

n00b
Firstly, I want to say hi to everyone, because this will be my first post on these forums. I wanted to share some useful information about the Windows 7 student offer for those considering other alternatives. I couldn't be bothered to browse through pages of threads in here just so I can share my info. I know it may be noob-like (I am a member of other forums, btw), but I think if it doesn't relate to a question information is best found in its separate thread.

Now onto my information. So I ordered the Windows 7 Professional "Upgrade" from Digital River. In addition, I also bough a DVD backup. I am good with technology, but when you are a lone student and have only your laptop to rely on, I surely would want to risk it.

The first important thing is I think I got the full version. I am not completely sure, but I had pre-installed a copy of XP and it was NOT genuine. I had a Vista OS, but couldn't bear it from the very first minute, so I never used it. Installed Windows 7 Pro and it worked like magic. I think I actually read here you are more likely to get the Full Version if you get Pro, which is only normal as you pay the same price for Pro/HP.

Secondly, I contacted DR today to ask if I can get the 64 bit version shipped and also the backup for that. They answered in a matter of half an hour and said they are arranging for it to be shipped. So I not only got the full version, but will be able to get the 64-bit version as well. I know for retail it is normal to get both versions (32 and 64), but since on DR's website it says you have to choose b/w the two when you purchase I thought this would make good contribution.

Hope it helps

HP and PRO editions *can* apparently be installed as full copies, nothing out of the ordinary there.

Licenses keys are valid for either 32 or 64bit, they are not specific to either one, you could have saved some dough by just getting a copy of the media from a friend or downloading it and verify the md5 hash.

Good deal =) How long did it take you to get your backup media the first time? Little sister is still waiting on hers, she wanted a real copy of the disc even though I had one for her, lol.

I am working atm, so I don't have time to go and buy a good quality DVD and then burn it. It took 5 business days ( I think) to get the media.

All I wanted to say is that you can also get both DVD backups as well as both versions. This was not that apparent to me the first time I saw the deak,

I just picked up the 30 dollar educational version, they linked the x64 Win7 pro which I downloaded burned to a DVD and installed and was up in running in about an hour (including download time!) Got my key scribbled on my burned DVD so I do not have to worry.

If you can get it, get it fast it is worth it. When you first go to purchase they push home premium but there is a link to pro on the bottom right.

I just picked up the 30 dollar educational version, they linked the x64 Win7 pro which I downloaded burned to a DVD and installed and was up in running in about an hour (including download time!) Got my key scribbled on my burned DVD so I do not have to worry.

If you can get it, get it fast it is worth it. When you first go to purchase they push home premium but there is a link to pro on the bottom right.
Yup, I thought that was hilarious, and for the same price too!

Back