Windows 7 Pro Upgrade Key & New build

bagelnagel

Weaksauce
I recently built a new computer, and would like to transfer my Windows 7 Pro key from my old rig to the new one. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro, tried to validate it, but could not as the key is an upgrade. Any thoughts as to how I can transfer over my working key from my old rig? Is it technically a different key?

Far as I remember when you use a upgrade key the old key is destroyed and you can't transfer.
Sadly your best bet would be to use that 7 upgrade key to upgrade to 10 for free.

Maybe there is some trick somebody can chime in with.

Super easy to get up and running. I've done this with my own machines when reinstalling Windows but avoiding the old/new OS double install:

WikiHow article with pics

I've read that this may have a problem if you've got updates pending a restart, but can't confirm.

Good luck!

Super easy to get up and running. I've done this with my own machines when reinstalling Windows but avoiding the old/new OS double install:

WikiHow article with pics

I've read that this may have a problem if you've got updates pending a restart, but can't confirm.

Good luck!

Can anyone confirm that you can OR cannot use this approach to do a clean install of Windows 10. If not, is there any other way to do a clean install?

Can anyone confirm that you can OR cannot use this approach to do a clean install of Windows 10. If not, is there any other way to do a clean install?

If you're upgrading a 7/8/8.1 key to Windows 10, it seems that clean-install will require two installations: First you run the upgrade installation - which ties your Windows 10 activation right to your motherboard and stores it in an MSA, then you can blow the partition away and do a clean install.

To me that's pretty lame. I really wish there was a way to pre-authorize the Windows 10 activation right online, meaning you go to a portal and enter your 7/8/8.1 key, it pre-activates Windows 10 in your MSA, and you can go straight to a clean install.

The way I read this is they're making everyone suffer including retail key holders because they want those OEM copies of 7 and 8 to stay put on the same machine.

Last edited:
If you're upgrading a 7/8/8.1 key to Windows 10, it seems that clean-install will require two installations: First you run the upgrade installation - which ties your Windows 10 activation right to your motherboard and stores it in an MSA, then you can blow the partition away and do a clean install.

Is Microsoft Account required for Win7->Win10 free upgrade? I prefer a local account.

Is Microsoft Account required for Win7->Win10 free upgrade? I prefer a local account.

You, me, and probably most of the guys here. But it's a Brave New World for Windows 10. This "free" upgrade really isn't free.

Back