Windows 7 Pro - Full $29.99 for students Ends 1/05/10

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
So I called MS to cancel my pre-order of Win7 Pro Upgrade since I used my student e-mail to buy a copy via the link in the other thread.

When I told them why I was canceling my order, the guy asked me if I had purchased my other copy through the MS online store... since I didn't he said I would be able to get another copy for $29.99 and asked me if I wanted the upgrade or the full version...

So I of course got the full version.

So this is a heads up for all of you that already ordered it through the link in the other thread.

Edit: Phone #
We are available at 1-877-MY-MS-STORE (1-877-696-7786), 8am to 1am Monday through Friday, and 12pm to 8pm Saturday and Sunday Eastern time.

Be prepared to hold for 30-45 minutes when you call though.

Last edited:
LOL, was gonna link to the thread about internet searching increasing brain function but you are a much kinder person than I.

I plan on doing this if the "upgrade version" gives me any trouble installing on to a formatted clean hard drive. Sofar from what people are saying though the only difference seems to be the media provided. The "upgrade" means you don't get real install, just some exe crap, media but the key is real. I won't believe it until I see it with my own eyes this afternoon though.

As said in one post of that massive thread, the Upgrade refers to it as being a new operating system, it is not an upgrade version requiring a previous OS. I have a downloaded copy of Windows 7 Pro from the digital river offer which is built into a bootable ISO (using a free Microsoft tool), which is a proper full install version.

So save yourself the half hour of phone waiting, buy one from digital river, and at least on my connection.... get it in about an hour.

Of course, it gives you the unpacked files, not the ISO, so you have to download microsoft's ISO building utility, create the iso, and burn it to the DVD-R of your choice.

As said in one post of that massive thread, the Upgrade refers to it as being a new operating system, it is not an upgrade version requiring a previous OS. I have a downloaded copy of Windows 7 Pro from the digital river offer which is built into a bootable ISO (using a free Microsoft tool), which is a proper full install version.

So save yourself the half hour of phone waiting, buy one from digital river, and at least on my connection.... get it in about an hour.

Of course, it gives you the unpacked files, not the ISO, so you have to download microsoft's ISO building utility, create the iso, and burn it to the DVD-R of your choice.

Come on, where's the link to the tool! :mad:

this for a hard copy with 32 + 64 bits dvds?

You can get the DVD, but it will cost extra... not sure how much, I didn't ask... but I can download at 1.4MB/s so it only takes a little while for me to download the whole thing anyhow.

So by calling them, you get the Full (non-upgrade) Version, and download it from MS as an ISO?

I plan on doing this if the "upgrade version" gives me any trouble installing on to a formatted clean hard drive. Sofar from what people are saying though the only difference seems to be the media provided. The "upgrade" means you don't get real install, just some exe crap, media but the key is real. I won't believe it until I see it with my own eyes this afternoon though.

Where did you hear this? The Upgrade key will work on a vanilla install?

So by calling them, you get the Full (non-upgrade) Version, and download it from MS as an ISO?

Yes, the downloads from MS are available in a few different formats... and you can also download the 32-bit as well as the 64-bit on the same page as well.

If anyone wants to get the full version and sell it to make a quick couple bucks and help a fellow member out, pm me please as I would be very interested in purchasing a copy from you!

This may sound dumb but I don't understand what to ask after calling that number...

I ordered the student upgrade of w7 x64 pro online already and it's downloading. I want to install on a clean hard drive (although I have a vista cd key and disc if necessary)... anyone know what do?

Where did you hear this? The Upgrade key will work on a vanilla install?

I just had to do a from scratch install, last night, since windows 7 home premium upgrade will not upgrade Vista Ultimate x64, which is what i had.

I booted off the Win7 Home premium UPGRADE dvd, formatted my C:\ and did a full win7 install clean on it with no issues, i did not have to run anything from within my Vista64 install prior to this.

I just had to do a from scratch install, last night, since windows 7 home premium upgrade will not upgrade Vista Ultimate x64, which is what i had.

I booted off the Win7 Home premium UPGRADE dvd, formatted my C:\ and did a full win7 install clean on it with no issues, i did not have to run anything from within my Vista64 install prior to this.

Was your drive clean or did it still have Vista on it when u started the Win 7 install (and then cleaned it with the installation software)? If that is the case it was an ugrade not a true bare drive clean install. The upgrade just wiped the drive but made note of the existence of eligible OS prior to deletion. You will know by the presence of windows.old directory on your root drive.

found here "When you perform a custom installation of Windows 7, files that were used in the earlier version of Windows are stored in a Windows.old folder. The folders that are stored in the Windows.old folder contain some files that you used in the earlier version of Windows. The type of files that are stored depends on your computer. We recommend that you always back up any important files before you install a new operating system."

I was unable to bare drive install using the student key. Had to double install same as the Vista trick.

This may sound dumb but I don't understand what to ask after calling that number...

I ordered the student upgrade of w7 x64 pro online already and it's downloading. I want to install on a clean hard drive (although I have a vista cd key and disc if necessary)... anyone know what do?

Just ask them about student pricing. They will ask for your school email address, check to see if you have already ordered one from the MS site or not, and then proceed.

I just made an iso out of my .edu download. I took that and installed it on a fresh hdd, used my key, activated, and am typing from it right now.

This is the full thing.

I just made an iso out of my .edu download. I took that and installed it on a fresh hdd, used my key, activated, and am typing from it right now.

This is the full thing.

require your previous key or disc?

i'll have to locate my disc if it needs that

nope. I had home premium/ultimate/business available if needed, but I didn't.

I used my RC build to make the iso, then installed it on a completely different computer; fresh build.

tried to cancel my newegg pre-order of windows 7 pro to take advantage of the student offer and newegg decided to just price match it for me. So I got my windows 7 pro from newegg for 29.99 hehe

If I order the student discount one and pay extra for the disc will i still be able to download it or do i need to wait for disc?

tried to cancel my newegg pre-order of windows 7 pro to take advantage of the student offer and newegg decided to just price match it for me. So I got my windows 7 pro from newegg for 29.99 hehe

whoa, no kidding. wow.

If I order the student discount one and pay extra for the disc will i still be able to download it or do i need to wait for disc?

You can still download it directly, but the disc will probably ship out next week.

Confirmed that the key does not work on a clean install. I had to install it, not enter the key then from within Windows open the install and run "Upgrade" over that, then the key worked.

i need an extra copy

can anyone sell me homepremium or pro 32bit ?

is the ultimate steal deal the same deal as the one at begining of other thread just thru a different link? or can son=me one get 2 win7 for $30?

can someone help me out

your email is good for 2 copies
i just need one thanks !

Confirmed that the key does not work on a clean install. I had to install it, not enter the key then from within Windows open the install and run "Upgrade" over that, then the key worked.

I used a copy of OEM Windows 7 Home Premium RTM to perform a clean install on a friends computer, skipped the product key part of the installation, and then activated once it was installed. The student discount product key activated just fine as genuine without having to upgrade or anything else.

I believe the key is to skip entering the product key during installation.

I used a copy of OEM Windows 7 Home Premium RTM to perform a clean install on a friends computer, skipped the product key part of the installation, and then activated once it was installed. The student discount product key activated just fine as genuine without having to upgrade or anything else.

I believe the key is to skip entering the product key during installation.

Skipped key at install and tried entering in windows, still didn't work for me using the ISO made from digitalriver install files. Home Premium version.

Back