Windows 7 Pro - Full $29.99 for students Ends 1/05/10

Just finished ordering mine.

Windows 7 Pro Full. I asked for the DVDs to be shipped to me (they gave me the d/l or DVD option). Got the order confirmation in my .edu email address.

He also offered the Office 2007 Ultimate deal for $59.99.

Last edited:
I forgot to ask the operator to send me a 64bit version or does the disc allow me to choose between both 32 and 64 bit?

quick side note, they have an email verification system so it has to clear with them while theyre on the phone and be valid. just got off the phone with them with my order. im pretty sure i remember asking for professional discs, but if i forgot to ask would they have asked me which one i wanted, pro or home?

quick side note, they have an email verification system so it has to clear with them while theyre on the phone and be valid. just got off the phone with them with my order. im pretty sure i remember asking for professional discs, but if i forgot to ask would they have asked me which one i wanted, pro or home?

I was asked Pro/Home as well as Upgrade/Full.

Heck, I was even asked download or DVDs.

They should have asked but if you think you did Pro then you probably did. I don't understand where the disconnect comes with the online purchase and having to use the phone. I had no troubles doing in on the site and downloading in the same session.

Is there an issue with the online for some people?

I was asked Pro/Home as well as Upgrade/Full.

Heck, I was even asked download or DVDs.

yeah i was asked download or dvd as well. what probably happened for me was i stated that i wanted the full version and not the upgrade, and i also stated i wanted professional without him asking me as well. and he just had to ask if i wanted dvd or download, and hopefully remembered when i told him i wanted professional.

Well alumni is obviously not student status but my alumni email is a .edu so just asking to see if anyone with an alumni .edu address worked.

this thread is total win. i was on hold for all of 20 seconds until this lady service rep picked up...i told her my friend got in on this student discount of the full version of 7 pro and i wanted it as well :D plugged in my billing/shipping/email info, and bam! im down 32 dollars and up one copy of 64bit win7. to let you guys know, they still have dvds available to ship, because thats how im getting mine.

i jumped on mine about a week ago. I was always a fan of vista ultimate, but this blows it away by a mile. Light weight, everything just works.

Just got my copy by calling the phone # - the cdkey worked with a full version of win7 x64 PRO so I didn't have to use the download link provided in the email for the .exe / .iso. $30 is more like it for an OS.

Well alumni is obviously not student status but my alumni email is a .edu so just asking to see if anyone with an alumni .edu address worked.

It might go through, but if Microsoft finds out you are not a currently enrolled student, they will bill your credit card for the full retail price of the software ($300). They do verification checks on alot of these orders.

P.S. If your credit card has no credit, not only will you get the over the limit fee, you will still have to pay Microsoft, unless you can get your bank to dispute it.

Side note - Deal ends on the 1st. AWESOME DEAL!!!

Thanks, I just called and ordered another copy for my other duaghter. I never figured they would be open today. The Microsoft rep told me that they were open for another 1 1/2 hours making that 1 am Eastern time. He also told me that the Win 7 promotion ends tommorrow. I asked about the MS office ult deal and he said that ends tommorrow as well.

I was charged $32.46 for the Windows 7 Pro full ed. DVD with free shipping. The last copy cost $5 more becuase they didn't have free shipping at that time.

It might go through, but if Microsoft finds out you are not a currently enrolled student, they will bill your credit card for the full retail price of the software ($300). They do verification checks on alot of these orders.

P.S. If your credit card has no credit, not only will you get the over the limit fee, you will still have to pay Microsoft, unless you can get your bank to dispute it.

this. usually its pretty easy to dispute a bogus charge though, as businesses nowadays are pretty shady with a lot of their workings. i havent once had a dispute declined through my bank or credit card company.

this. usually its pretty easy to dispute a bogus charge though, as businesses nowadays are pretty shady with a lot of their workings. i havent once had a dispute declined through my bank or credit card company.

This wouldn't be a bogus charge, since YOU would be the one being shady, not Microsoft.

Think I just got screwed on this. I called and told the guy I was upgrading from Windows XP and that I needed the full version if possible, since the Windows site doesn't list XP -> WIn7 as a viable upgrade path. He said I needed "windows 7 Pro upgrade edition" and it would be fine. I know that's incorrect, so I asked him if he was certain I could upgrade from Win XP multiple times, hoping he would realize the error and say "oops, you need the full edition." However, he continued to say "upgrade edition is fine," case closed - do you want to order or not?

Anyway, I had him put me down for an order thinking he might be confusing terminology and that he would select the full version anyways. However, the confirmation email states the following:

Thank you for your purchase:
Windows 7 Professional Upgrade
Quantity: 1 $29.99

Epic fail? I guess I have to call them back and try again?

Think I just got screwed on this. I called and told the guy I was upgrading from Windows XP and that I needed the full version if possible, since the Windows site doesn't list XP -> WIn7 as a viable upgrade path. He said I needed "windows 7 Pro upgrade edition" and it would be fine. I know that's incorrect, so I asked him if he was certain I could upgrade from Win XP multiple times, hoping he would realize the error and say "oops, you need the full edition." However, he continued to say "upgrade edition is fine," case closed - do you want to order or not?

Anyway, I had him put me down for an order thinking he might be confusing terminology and that he would select the full version anyways. However, the confirmation email states the following:

Thank you for your purchase:
Windows 7 Professional Upgrade
Quantity: 1 $29.99

Epic fail? I guess I have to call them back and try again?

You don't need the full version, the upgrade will still work since you own a previous OS (XP is valid for this purpose, but it won't upgrade and keep your settings).

Is the sale still on till the 5th as the original poster implied or am i too late?

For those who are wondering, any .edu mail address should work. The license states that you need to be a student, so keep that in mind. However, I don't think that the "Microsoft Police" are going to go around trying to check attendance records with every college in the United States (which aren't allowed to release this information without your consent, anyways) in order to catch a few people who got a good deal on Windows 7. That doesn't mean that you SHOULD get it if you aren't entitled to a copy under the licensing agreement, though. Let your conscience guide you, not some ridiculous threats of what "could" happen from guys like Red Shirt. If you aren't a student, then your best bet would be to find someone who is a student and ask if they can buy it for you.

For those who are wondering, any .edu mail address should work. The license states that you need to be a student, so keep that in mind. However, I don't think that the "Microsoft Police" are going to go around trying to check attendance records with every college in the United States (which aren't allowed to release this information without your consent, anyways) in order to catch a few people who got a good deal on Windows 7. That doesn't mean that you SHOULD get it if you aren't entitled to a copy under the licensing agreement, though. Let your conscience guide you, not some ridiculous threats of what "could" happen from guys like Red Shirt. If you aren't a student, then your best bet would be to find someone who is a student and ask if they can buy it for you.

Maynard said it best - see sig

Just a heads up as i just got mine... The sale ends tonight at 8PM eastern time when the store closes! So thats tonight the 3rd! CALL NOW!!!

I already got mine, I'm on the phone now, hoping to get the Office 2007 Ultimate Edition for 59.99

Seems like it's gonna be a long wait though, I didn't have to wait at all when I called for Win7 Pro.

So I just got off the phone with them. Apparently Office Ultimate 2007 is only available as a download, which is no problem. But I asked him about re-installing it on a new computer, and he says you can only do it twice.

But, he also mentioned that the Windows 7 Pro Full can only be installed once, so if you make a new build, you're out of luck? Can anyone confirm this?
I know in the retail version you can call and they'll give you a new Key to reinstall... it would suck if you can only install once with this version.

So I just got off the phone with them. Apparently Office Ultimate 2007 is only available as a download, which is no problem. But I asked him about re-installing it on a new computer, and he says you can only do it twice.

But, he also mentioned that the Windows 7 Pro Full can only be installed once, so if you make a new build, you're out of luck? Can anyone confirm this?
well if thats true then that isnt a full version. heck you can install an oem version as many times as you want on the same pc. a full version can be installed as many times as you want even on a different pc but it can only be on one pc at a time.

well if thats true then that isnt a full version. heck you can install an oem version as many times as you want on the same pc. a full version can be installed as many times as you want even on a different pc but it can only be on one pc at a time.

Yeah, I thought the same thing, I didn't refute him as I thought this might be some wacked out version of the full retail made for students.

I guess we'll see as people with this version start making new builds.

I know in the retail version you can call and they'll give you a new Key to reinstall... it would suck if you can only install once with this version.

I just sold my computer Thursday. I had the DigitalRiver Windows 7 Pro on it already activated once. I wiped the hard drive, re-installed the above mentioned Windows 7 Pro and it activated again just fine. The only thing that changed system wise was before I had a smaller 250gb drive for the operating system and a 1.5tb drive for everything else. I took the 250gb drive out and installed it this time on the 1.5tb drive to sell. Activated just fine. If you did a complete new system it might not activate if I was guessing. You need the retail Windows 7 for that - this is probably more like the OEM version.

I just sold my computer Thursday. I had the DigitalRiver Windows 7 Pro on it already activated once. I wiped the hard drive, re-installed the above mentioned Windows 7 Pro and it activated again just fine. The only thing that changed system wise was before I had a smaller 250gb drive for the operating system and a 1.5tb drive for everything else. I took the 250gb drive out and installed it this time on the 1.5tb drive to sell. Activated just fine. If you did a complete new system it might not activate if I was guessing. You need the retail Windows 7 for that - this is probably more like the OEM version.

Yeah, if I understand correctly you still have the same motherboard. Apparently the only piece of hardware that matters is that.

If your motherboard changes, you need a new cd key.

Do you have to be an active student? I've done a couple years of community college but am not currently going to school. I can still log in to my email though so I put it in and they sent me the link. I added the 64-bit to my cart and can download it. Anybody know if you have to be currently attending classes?

Back