Windows 7 Pro for students 29.99

There are sites where you can just get an edu email without actually being in college. I believe this deal works with those.

Thanks for the link. I lost my CD key and they still had it on their system :)

Argh, I am enrolled at my university to begin this summer, but course registration isn't for a few more weeks. Hopefully the deal will still be active then.

Argh, I am enrolled at my university to begin this summer, but course registration isn't for a few more weeks. Hopefully the deal will still be active then.
This appears to be the same as the Ulitmate steal deal they had in place back when I purchased. If you google Ultimate steal it take you to the same deal page, They just changed the name.
Search the forums for Ultimate steal to find the old threads.
If you have your .edu email address then you should be able to purchase the software. I purchased 2 copys, one for each of my daughters and bought the disks as well for $35 shipped when I purchased them. This appears to be the download version which they would send you your key thru email. At least with Microsoft you don't have to send a copy of your student ID like I had to do when I purchased Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom. We had to wait a few days for the key to use the software.

Check this thread here. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1462373&highlight=Ultimate+steal
This is how I purchased. I bought the Microsoft Office from the Ultimate steal site.

Last edited:
What the crap? That is extremely cheap. Too good to be true?

This has been that price (for students with a valid .edu email address that you can check and verify). I am pretty sure it was that price at Windows 7 launch.

I emailed my college since I am a grad, and they FINALLY sent me my email and made one. I went to check it to take advantages of these type of deals (there is a lot of .edu email discounts online). Anyways, I went to check it finally the other day... BAD PASSWORD! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Stupid IT guys... now I wait another long while as my email goes to the bottom of their list of crap to do :eek:

This has been that price (for students with a valid .edu email address that you can check and verify). I am pretty sure it was that price at Windows 7 launch.

Normally it's about $65 for .edu purchase. They do run this deal from time to time though.

Hmm. Have to think about this. I've always heard horror stories about people upgrading OS's rather than doing clean installs so I've always done the latter. This is a good price though . . .

Anyone know how long this deal is for? My friend might get me 7 from his school for $20, but I could just grab this.

Hmm. Have to think about this. I've always heard horror stories about people upgrading OS's rather than doing clean installs so I've always done the latter. This is a good price though . . .

you can do a clean install on this.

ive used an win7 upgrade cd to do a full clean install on my parents system. no problems at all.

you can do a clean install on this.

ive used an win7 upgrade cd to do a full clean install on my parents system. no problems at all.

Yeah, as stated above multiple times, you can do a clean install with upgrade media/key.

Wait you can buy more than 1? I came to say that I bit but I might buy a second too!

check with your universities as well, I know mine offers windows 7 ultimate for $15

WHERE THE HELL DO YOU PEOPLE GO TO SCHOOL?
lol, everyone is always talking about the fabled cheap software at their schools. I've been to three universities in my educational path and I have yet to find cheap software. I've asked all of my friends (and they have asked me) if their schools have cheap software and the answer is inevitably "nope.". I'm seriously going to just assume that this is a urban legend.

lol, everyone is always talking about the fabled cheap software at their schools. I've been to three universities in my educational path and I have yet to find cheap software. I've asked all of my friends (and they have asked me) if their schools have cheap software and the answer is inevitably "nope.". I'm seriously going to just assume that this is a urban legend.

LOL that must suck :/ My school offers a 32 bit and 64 bit key for windows 7 professional for free. Also have practically everything microsoft except for office for free (inlcuding many versions of xp/vista/Server). Can even get an XNA creators club license for a year for free.

Wait you can buy more than 1? I came to say that I bit but I might buy a second too!

My university gives me two emails. Not sure if I can use both but I'll try. If not, my brother goes to the same university as well so I can have him get me another.

Same here. Never seen any software remotely near internet prices. My school's bookstore currently offers Windows 7 Home Premium full version for $239.99 and Home Premium Upgrade for $89.99. I second the urban legend.

LOL that must suck :/ My school offers a 32 bit and 64 bit key for windows 7 professional for free. Also have practically everything microsoft except for office for free (inlcuding many versions of xp/vista/Server). Can even get an XNA creators club license for a year for free.

Yet another contributor to the urban legend theory. I notice that you didn't mention what school you attend.

List of MSDNAA schools

If I recall, they're perpetual licenses, restricted to non-commercial use. Generally free to download, with a possible charge if you want the physical media.

people are probably going to flame me.... but

i'm using a pirated version of windows xp, and i can get a free pirated verson of windows 7, but now that i'm a bit more wealthy, can i buy this to use as a legit copy of windows 7. basically, do i need a legit copy of a previous windows to use this upgrade?

Yet another contributor to the urban legend theory. I notice that you didn't mention what school you attend.

I don't tend to advertise what city I live in on the internet but you'll find my school on that link a couple posts down from yours (MSDNAA license).

My friend got a free license from utah state university. But he says it has some funky license that it can be activated only once and that he has to call them before he activates it. I didn't really get what he was talking about.

My friend got a free license from utah state university. But he says it has some funky license that it can be activated only once and that he has to call them before he activates it. I didn't really get what he was talking about.

Mine's not like that at all. I was given a log in to my school's MSDNAA and I can simply download whatever I want from there and the keys are given once you hit the download button.

I don't get it it's a download? How does this work do I get an image download? The thing says that i need to pay 19 bucks for a dvd.

PS. My student email became my alumni email upon graduation. gotta love it...

I don't get it it's a download? How does this work do I get an image download? The thing says that i need to pay 19 bucks for a dvd.

PS. My student email became my alumni email upon graduation. gotta love it...

You get an iso image.

List of MSDNAA schools

If I recall, they're perpetual licenses, restricted to non-commercial use. Generally free to download, with a possible charge if you want the physical media.

Sweet, my school is on there and I see a bunch of stuff for free. I just got to contact the program administrator and see if I'm eligible (I don't know if you have to be faculty or of a certain major). Thanks!

Originally Posted by zeplar View Post
List of MSDNAA schools

WHYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody has ever mentioned this at my school and I am taking computer engineering classes, low and behold my school is on there.
Sweet, my school is on there and I see a bunch of stuff for free. I just got to contact the program administrator and see if I'm eligible (I don't know if you have to be faculty or of a certain major). Thanks!

When I found my school it listed the departments which could get software.

Mine's not like that at all. I was given a log in to my school's MSDNAA and I can simply download whatever I want from there and the keys are given once you hit the download button.

I found what my friend was talking about and it is the msdmaa software here it is from the faq
Q: Does the license (or "key") permanently unlock the software? A: No - the key allows you to install the software once. If you need to re-install the software, you will need to contact the PA (Program Administrator) at your school. Your PA's contact email information can be found in the support page. To view this information, please click on the Support button above.

WHYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody has ever mentioned this at my school and I am taking computer engineering classes, low and behold my school is on there.

When I found my school it listed the departments which could get software.

Yeah, just got a response from the program admin. He said it's only for computer science majors. Go figure.

Yeah, just got a response from the program admin. He said it's only for computer science majors. Go figure.

Right now I am doing computer engineering which puts me in both the computer science school and school of engineering. I didn't qualify for the school of CS msdnaa but I did for the engineering so I got me an account! :p

I just picked up a copy after I was told by a rep that you can do a clean install of windows 7 with this upgrade even if you only have XP or Vista. Niceee

Back