Windows 7 Pricing

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Rahburt-33, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Rahburt-33

Rahburt-33 Gawd

Is there going to be an upgrade edition, particularly one that takes you from XP to 7?

And how much is it going to cost if so?

2. TekRok

TekRok 2[H]4U

There is already one...its 119.99$, its has all been covered, search newegg, amazon, etc etc

3. phide

phide [H]ard as it Gets

Depends on the version.

Home Premium: $119
    Pro: $199
    Ultimate: $219

4. Catweazle

Catweazle 2[H]4U

Bear in mind that the upgrade packs of Windows 7 will NOT actually upgrade install Windows 7 over the top of an existing Windows XP installation. They will upgrade your Windows license, but a custom clean install will have to be used and that means your programs will have to be reinstalled and any data on your system drive/partition will be wiped. So make sure your stuff is backed up before using the upgrade pack to install Windows 7.

Microsoft have deemed the XP -> Windows 7 route as not being a 'valid upgrade path' for an over the top install. Fair enough, too. XP and 7 are significantly different enough that all but the savviest of users would have difficulty ensuring that all the incompatible software/drivers was uninstalled before the transition. For the change from XP to 7 a clean install is the better route to take.

5. Rahburt-33

Rahburt-33 Gawd

So basically it would upgrade my current windows xp pro key to a windows 7 key

Then I just run the windows 7 install, and use my upgraded key and all is good?

6. Catweazle

Catweazle 2[H]4U

Basically you leave the XP install in place (because the installer needs to check for its presence if an 'upgrade' install key is used) and then choose 'Custom install' for Windows 7. You can safely select the partition where you've got XP installed. The old install will be bundled into a 'windows.old' folder, and a clean install of Windows 7 put on the drive for you.

You can leave the windows.old folder in place for a while, until you've verified that there isn't anything in it that you overlooked or neglected to back up. You can recover any overlooked stuff from it as necessary. And you can later remove it using the 'Disk Cleanup' tool.

Be sure that there's enough free drive space available before you start, of course. If that system drive/partition is really cramped for space......

7. Rahburt-33

Rahburt-33 Gawd

Allright thanks guys

Now to get $230......

8. Atl530i

Atl530i [H]ardness Supreme

If you want to keep XP, why not just have a dual boot config until you get Win7 running the way you want... Dual boots need the oldest OS installed first, so you're halfway done :)