windows 7 permissions helpful links?

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone have any good links on changing permissions options and such? I am unable to run an msi file since it says I need admin permissions when I am one and everywhere I look I am part of the administrators group but it still doenst allow some things. I also have an external drive that according to windows I will have to systematically have to change the permissions on each and every file. It will not even show me the security tab when choosing multiple files. This is with windows 7 pro.

if you are running an msi and right as it is about to install files it says this then it is not requesting an elevation. Alot of pre-vista installers will do this. to work around this shift right click and hit run as administrator.

If run as as administrator is not listed you will have to run the msi via CMD. Load up CMD using run as administrator, and then type msiexec /i <path to msi file>.

As for the security tab thing, they took that out. if you select multiple things the security tab will not show. If he drive is not part of some existing install it would probably be safe to just change things at the root so that they trickle down.

Change the permissions for multiple files by changing permissions on the folder the files are in, or else make a script (icacls.exe in cmd.exe or .net in powershell) - As far as the .msi, try right-click->run as admin, because in Win 7/Vista the default user is an admin that normally has standard user permissions/token, until you purposefully elevate a process. If that doesn't do it, I don't know, it may be a very poorly coded program that requires uac to be turned off.

The msi file is from Microsoft. It was a visualization for media player. Did the runas and it still says I dont have permissions. Deciding to give up on that file, not worth the headache.
For the permissions, I have tried to do it from the root of the driver itself and it "shows" that I have full controls to all files and folders but once you look at those folders they have lil pad locks on them. I then have to go to each individual file and change the permissions that way. I should mention that this drive has been in a domain computer so some of those files might have had domain user permissions on them. Regardless if I can get to the file and actually change the permissions why wouldnt I be able to do them en masse instead of one at a time?

Are you changing permissions from the advanced security section and checking 'replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object' ? Try that.

If that doesn't work, you may need to remove all users permissions and re-add who you want, and check the box I listed above.

Last edited:
Back