Windows 7 PC users refusing to move to Windows 10

http://news.investors.com/120115-783137-windows-10-migration-stalls-amid-slow-pc-sales-upgrades.htm

In November, 56.1% of PCs on the Internet were running Windows 7, Net Applications reported Tuesday. The figure has remained stubbornly high since the Windows 10 launch. It was 57.7% in August, 56.5% in September and 55.7% in October.

Meanwhile, the percentage of Windows 8 PCs in use rose last month. Windows 8 accounted for 14% of PCs on the Internet in November, compared with 13.2% in October. In June, before the release of Windows 10, Windows 8 had 16% market share, Net Applications said.

In the four months since its release, Windows 10 has grown to 9% market share as of November. In October, it had 7.9% share, Net Applications said.

Click02_1202-(2).jpg.cms

Easier to read pie chart here:
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Even XP is still up there.

Stay tuned for our very own astroturfing spin-master, who'll likely trot out linux desktop market share in order to paint 10's uptake as a "win". :D

Stay tuned for our very own astroturfing spin-master, who'll likely trot out linux desktop market share in order to paint 10's uptake as a "win". :D

Here's one way to spin it. Windows 10 is growing about around the same rate as 7 through 4 months. One could say that because Windows 10 is a free upgrade that it should have grown faster which is logical. But the new PC market was much stronger 6 years ago than today. And there are those they mentioned how forced it is. Yet I get people asking me how to upgrade to 10 still. Some people are somehow not getting annoyed enough.

The next big test will be this month. I would expect a spike in growth from the holiday season which is pretty much normal for the latest version of Windows this time of year. I think anything under 1.5% this month would be pretty disappointing because I think it would indicate a really sluggish new PC market at one of the two biggest times of year for new PC sales, the other being back to school season.

One thing that's interesting about the second major tracker, StatCounter. It shows really big spikes in 10 during the weekends which means that the growth is definitely on the consumer side which is obvious only 4 months in.

From the New Year I would expect things to be sluggish for 10's growth until mid year. That's when large enterprise deployments should start off and the assuming the free upgrade really does end July 29, 2016 consumers will probably kick off a spike.

TL;DR So at this point the growth is still good considering that it's mostly upgrades, the impact of new devices will be seen one way of the other this month. 10's growth will be sluggish through mid-2016 when enterprise migrations should start kicking off and consumers get in on the free upgrade before it ends, assuming that it will on July 29, 2016.

these rich computer people. they try making people's computer download windows 10 without their permission, people see that and... become upset (what else did you think it would happen!) microsoft treat people like they are stupid. and think that they themselfs are saints.

No surprise really, 10 sucks in too many ways.

If they are really determined to get people to switch to Win10 they should start porting Halo games for Win10 only.

If they are really determined to get people to switch to Win10 they should start porting Halo games for Win10 only.

That definitely would be nice though plenty would complain about it being Windows 10 only. But gamers the fastest new version of Windows adopters. 10 will surpass 7 as the #1 desktop gaming OS sometime next year it would appear if the Steam Hardware Survey is accurate. November's numbers for that should be out tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see where 10 is at. I'm sure it's growth has slowed there like in the general market but it should come close or break 30% and 7 should be at around 45%.

The market that will trigger big growth is the enterprise and it's going to be another 6 months at least to see how that pans out.

these rich computer people. they try making people's computer download windows 10 without their permission, people see that and... become upset (what else did you think it would happen!) microsoft treat people like they are stupid. and think that they themselfs are saints.

But that is correct. I have met the man\woman on the streets, they are morons. Content with "entertainment" in the likes of the kardasian and their swirling BS.

The fact that 8/8.1 is still rising really tells the story. No one actually chooses 8/8.1 if they have a choice. That is a clear indicator that people are mostly just using whatever OS that their PC comes with. There are a LOT of computers out there in stores that still have 8.1, or even 7. Stores are probably dumping their Windows 7/8.1 PCs with pre-christmas, black-friday style deals. I would bet that Christmas is when we will see a big surge of Win10 adoption - people will finally be buying Win10 devices in bulk.

When you see Windows 7 numbers continuing to be strong, it's mostly people just sticking with what they have, rather than having made an informed decision not to upgrade because they believe 7 is better. Pretty much the same thought process of the majority of consumers who are still using XP. Lots of people don't like change, and fear of change is a strong motivator. There is a big sense of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and while I respect the logic in that, it doesn't mean progress is pointless. I mean, just look at how Windows 8 (not 8.1) by itself has nearly 3%. 8.1 has been out for a very long time... And look at all of the people who couldn't even be bothered to install what amounts to a service pack. Do you really think those people are doing so because they think 8 is better than 8.1?

Windows 7 share isn't dropping much for a couple of reasons:

1) Business hasn't adopted Windows 10. The business/corporate segment of PC sales is around 80% of the market. If businesses do decide to upgrade, there are potential complications like testing and updating legacy line of business application, user retraining and other things. Even in the best case, (responsible) business adoption of 10 would be slow, but Windows 10 offers absolutely nothing for most businesses and is an expensive upgrade. I don't expect a XP -> 7 stampede. Windows 8.x had a very low corporate adoption rate and Windows "8.2" probably won't either.

2) Most of Windows 10's share comes from users fleeing that flaming piece of crap called Windows 8.1. It's very likely that with the push MS does for upgrades to 10, most Windows 8.1 systems sold since Windows 10 launched are either upgraded or an upgrade is planned.

All it takes is one thing to not work properly that people feels that should for someone to get really pissed off about change. I've seen a few people run into problems mostly with lack of support for things like AMD drivers on a laptop. The other for me being weird network issues that my friend wouldn't even let me troubleshoot. Both which demanded to have Windows 7 restored. Everyone else absolutely loves Windows 10 that I've talked to. Some people just want to complain about nothing I guess.

Windows 10 says my computer is "compatible" for the update, but I know there are programs on it that aren't. I also have a scanner driver that is pulled from Vista, and I can't guarantee that is compatible. There are just too many unknowns.

There should be a linux like Live CD for Windows 10.

I would upgrade to 10, but I've found it to be quite buggy in 2 of my machines, along with the forced updates. Any person with common sense would know it's better to review the available patches prior to installing them blindly.

Plus, the latest major Nov update force removed some applications w/out permission. Windows 10 is just a bit too intrusive for me.

I also ran into an issue with upgrading a hybrid graphics laptop. Intel 2000 gpu + Nvidia 650m. The Nvidia has full Win 10 drivers but the Intel doesn't. Everything passes through the Intel. Windows provides some basic compatible drivers for the Intel, but it doesn't feel that things are working right at all. Too much lag in scrolling Windows, and other random things just hanging up.

Leave it to a Windows thread to bring out the flame bait and baseless claims.

i was excited to upgrade winxp to win7 due to the redesigned audio kernel n crap.

the only thing i see exciting about win10 is dx12, but no games use it so far, so i aint upgrading/updating.

im sure there're things win10 does that ill like/appreciate, but without dx12 games, it isnt worth the potential headaches.

Did I miss where they broke out the consumer numbers from businesses? Windows has 2 very distinct markets: consumer and business, and the latter isn't going to change this year. There was an article that said a large number are changing in the next 12 months, but even that seems optimistic on the business side. IME, business only change the OS when they change H/W. My gut says they may start buying PCs with 10 next year (late next year, I'd assume), but it'll be at least another year before 1/4 to 1/3 of those businesses PCs are on 10 (assuming a 3-4 year upgrade cycle).

On the consumer side, I guess we'll see how it look on the Steam side. As Heatless said, it's tracking at roughly the same rate as 7.

A lot of these windows 7 users are using Windows Media Center with a non-microsoft extender. They can't even upgrade to windows 8 because of it.

Windows 7 share isn't dropping much for a couple of reasons:

1) Business hasn't adopted Windows 10. The business/corporate segment of PC sales is around 80% of the market. <snip>

2) Most of Windows 10's share comes from users fleeing that flaming piece of crap called Windows 8.1. It's very likely that with the push MS does for upgrades to 10, most Windows 8.1 systems sold since Windows 10 launched are either upgraded or an upgrade is planned.

If we accept your premise that adoption is mostly from consumers (and I do) and we look at the only report that's exclusively consumers (Steam), the decline is mostly from 7, which declined about 1.39% in the November survey (vs -1.13% in October), while 8.1 declined .97% (1.13% if we include 8.0), which means conversions from 8.x are slowing, while 7 conversions are increasing.

It's one month, we'll see what happens next month, but I think they'll continue to gain market share.

I do agree with whoever said that people use whatever the computer comes with. There are some computers that still come with 8.x. Will those people move to 10? I don't know. If they were smart, they'd upgrade and if they don't like it, revert back to 7/8 within 30 days. That way they have the free upgrade to try again in the future.

A lot of these windows 7 users are using Windows Media Center with a non-microsoft extender. They can't even upgrade to windows 8 because of it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of Windows 7 users aren't using Windows Media Center and even fewer than that with an extender.

The Steam Hardware Survey for November came out today and tell a big different story. Windows 7 was the big loser last month, dropping 1.39%, more than even 8.1. 10 picked up 2.43%, a slight drop off from last month but the difference in growth between 7 and 10 was about the same with a larger Windows 7 drop off last month than October.

So 7 comes in with 43.47% and 10 at 29.85% so it's almost certain that 7 will lose the gaming crown sometime within the year.

I do agree with whoever said that people use whatever the computer comes with. There are some computers that still come with 8.x. Will those people move to 10? I don't know. If they were smart, they'd upgrade and if they don't like it, revert back to 7/8 within 30 days. That way they have the free upgrade to try again in the future.

I think this is really the first month since Windows 10 has been released where we'll see the effect of new hardware. But of the good stuff didn't really come out until this fall and this is clearly the time of year where you'd see consumer buying if they like what they see. It should be a decent season for PCs as gadgets in general look poised to do well.

I'm one of those Windows 7 users. The flat UI, removal of descriptions & choice with upgrades and the forced removal of applications which are deemed 'incompatible', or 'pirated' are things I could definitely live without.

There's also still too much Metro UI in the thing, based on my experiences running Windows 10 in VM for the past months.

I'll see what Microsoft does after 2020.

I'll see what Microsoft does after 2020.
I'm almost beyond caring what MS does at this point. Apple still makes a desktop OS, and 7 will work for the next 4+ years so nothing is critical for now.

The only thing I have against windows 10 is the forced upgrades. For most family members they could care less. And its probably a good thing at least on the critical patches. But in the business world that is dangerous. I have seen Microsoft break too many things.

I'm pretty sure a lot of Windows 7 users aren't using Windows Media Center and even fewer than that with an extender.

The Steam Hardware Survey for November came out today and tell a big different story. Windows 7 was the big loser last month, dropping 1.39%, more than even 8.1. 10 picked up 2.43%, a slight drop off from last month but the difference in growth between 7 and 10 was about the same with a larger Windows 7 drop off last month than October.

So 7 comes in with 43.47% and 10 at 29.85% so it's almost certain that 7 will lose the gaming crown sometime within the year.

You poor boy you don't know anything, Steam dosen't take in count for everyone else out there.
There are lot of Windows Media Center, NextPVR, SageTV user out there min of are using 3rd party apps on top WMC or NextPVR that turn it in to backend PVR/DVR service to get just what they want like with Emby and other apps.

I think this is really the first month since Windows 10 has been released where we'll see the effect of new hardware. But of the good stuff didn't really come out until this fall and this is clearly the time of year where you'd see consumer buying if they like what they see. It should be a decent season for PCs as gadgets in general look poised to do well.

Could be. I know that I didn't start looking at laptops until the Dell XPS/Precision models came out. I really wish Apple had new models to, but they don't...then again, I doubt I'll buy anything until next year.

If we accept your premise that adoption is mostly from consumers (and I do) and we look at the only report that's exclusively consumers (Steam), the decline is mostly from 7, which declined about 1.39% in the November survey (vs -1.13% in October), while 8.1 declined .97% (1.13% if we include 8.0), which means conversions from 8.x are slowing, while 7 conversions are increasing.
I'm not sure what your point is. I wrote that Windows 7 share numbers are fairly steady because business/corporate adoption is low/non-existent for 10.

Steam isn't measuring anything more than a number related to Steam users who want to include their specs in the survey. It does not measure Windows 10 usage in general, even in just the consumer segment. Windows 10 has close to 0% business/corporate adoption, so the better ways of measuring OS share are also good enough to measure what consumers are doing. That does suggest that still most of Windows 10 share is coming from Windows 8.x. That will shift as Windows 10 becomes more common in retail since many systems still come with 8.1.

The only reason I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 on my photo editing workstation at home is because I first need to upgrade one of the parts on it and my backup software too. :/ The upgrade tool keeps insisting that my system is ready for 10 but I know for a fact that my colorimeter doesn't have drivers for it under 10. :/ My backup software doesn't work under 10 too so I have to upgrade to the latest version.

Now that I have the extra scratch to buy the upgrades it's not an issue but in the meantime the upgrade tool has done it's best to piss me off about upgrading at every turn. :D

The only thing I have against windows 10 is the forced upgrades. For most family members they could care less. And its probably a good thing at least on the critical patches. But in the business world that is dangerous. I have seen Microsoft break too many things.

Enterprise allows you to turn off forced updates and companies that are running pro, probably don't have the IT department resources to test patches. Where I'm at we run Pro, but I install my own patches (though they'll force them on us if we haven't updated them at some point).

Where this is going to be a problem for businesses is enterprise software, which IMO is generally crap. We installed a system last year that was the latest version, but the front end is piggishly slow on new hardware and the last 2 systems have had java apps with a front end that still uses Swing.

Maybe these changes will force these companies to actually fix their shitty front ends.

Boy you poor do know anything, Steam dosen't take in count for everyone else out there.
There are lot of Windows Media Center, NextPVR, SageTV user out there min of are using 3rd party apps on top WMC or NextPVR that turn it in to backend PVR/DVR service to get just what they want like with Emby and other apps.

I'm guessing that 90% of Windows users never have used any of this stuff. Microsoft has said for years that WMC didn't get a lot of use and in the day and age of cord cutting and Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. most people just aren't into this type of tech anymore.

Well hell, at that rate, it'll only be 2-3 years before Win10 achieves some sort of dominance!

:rolleyes:

The only reason I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 on my photo editing workstation at home is because I first need to upgrade one of the parts on it and my backup software too. :/ The upgrade tool keeps insisting that my system is ready for 10 but I know for a fact that my colorimeter doesn't have drivers for it under 10. :/ My backup software doesn't work under 10 too so I have to upgrade to the latest version.

Now that I have the extra scratch to buy the upgrades it's not an issue but in the meantime the upgrade tool has done it's best to piss me off about upgrading at every turn. :D

Sounds like you're running Acronis too. I may just pick up the Unlimited. I need 3 licenses and 16 and unlimited are within 5 or 6 bucks and I want to try a cloud system or 2.

Oh and in case you don't have the link latest acronis with cloud
https://store.acronis.com/882/purl-consumer-standard-US?cart=162296&x-segment=4&coupon=Nov_162296 (1 license...if you need 3 I can send that too)

What colorimeter are you using? Mine isn't installed, so it may be broken too :(

If I wasn't around my wife would just use whatever came with a new PC and never do upgrades. Can't say I blame anyone for this. A decent new computer is cheap enough it's almost not worth upgrading even when it's free. However, she hasn't stopped complaining about win10. She forgets she complained about win7 the same way.

Wait you mean people are not wanting to switch to an OS that works perfectly fine? Wow color me shocked!

Steam isn't measuring anything more than a number related to Steam users who want to include their specs in the survey. It does not measure Windows 10 usage in general, even in just the consumer segment.

All of these things are just surveys, they aren't complete sample counts. The Steam based on something very specific and I think does give a general idea about gamers and enthusiasts. And it's always made sense in the past. It showed a rapid adoption of Windows 7 and the general adoption of 7 was much slower with overall surveys. It also showed slower adoption of 8.x which also was much slower with overall surveys.

Windows 10 has close to 0% business/corporate adoption, so the better ways of measuring OS share are also good enough to measure what consumers are doing. That does suggest that still most of Windows 10 share is coming from Windows 8.x. That will shift as Windows 10 becomes more common in retail since many systems still come with 8.1.

And it's going to be about another 6 months before we start to see business adoption which is always the case with new versions of Windows.

And it's going to be about another 6 months before we start to see business adoption which is always the case with new versions of Windows.

Make that 16-18 months (after initial release) and you'll be on target or at least in the ballpark this time. ;)

Make that 16-18 months (after initial release) and you'll be on target or at least in the ballpark this time. ;)

I work at a mega bank and we plan on starting deployments Q3 2016. Honestly I'm hearing good things a bout 10 from a management and deployment perspective and the security debate doesn't apply to us as we can turn it off.

Regarding the article, where is the source for the data and the image? I'd like to see where that data came from, but I'm finding nothing. The image is so pixelated that you can't read the source URL in the lower left. Last week's article with opposing data has no trouble showing its sources, so at the moment I have to take last week's article more seriously than this article.

Back